Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Ryton

Re: LENOVO CUSTOMER CARE? WARRANTY? NON-EXISTENT!!!!!

George (aka ajkula66), you might be a guru here but it's not demonstrated in your above post. This machine contains a MSI OEM Socket 370 mainboardboard (OEM means that IBM/Lenovo are responsible for its support). IBM/Lenovo have not provided the required support which should, by the way, be readily available in the user manual or its addendum. With regards to age, irrelevant, visit MSI at http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodarchive&maincat_no=1 and you will note that full support is infact provided for their non-OEM socket 370 boards from this era... Cheers.
Bit Torrent
wjli2

i don't think Lenovo had taken the responsibility for supporting those older IBM hardwares. I always thought that Foxconn made those parts, but i could be wrong. I only had a late 2001 model Netvista, which had Foxconn printed on all part of the circuit boards. 
ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

@Ryton:

I don't think that you've quite understood my point on the Net Vista issue: you're looking to upgrade the CPU on a machine that is just shy of being a decade old. It is NOT IBM's resposibility to guide you through such an upgrade. It would be IBM's responsibility to provide parts for the original configuration for whatever is currently deemed as a reasonable amount of time for such a support.

Drivers are available. User manuals are available. I'm certain at least some of the parts are available, although these machines are as old as they are.

What else?

Net Vista units are not my area of expertise by any means ( I don't own desktops, never have) but I can tell you that when it came to upgrading ThinkPads to non-factory specs, I was on my own and rightfully so. No manufacturer will take resposibility for someone "improving"  their design...so you have to do your own research, the legwork, to read what other people have done about the similar issues and what the end results were...it's as simple as that.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Paper Tape
Ryton

George... Irrelevant!
andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Ryton wrote:
George... Irrelevant!

No it's not.

A manufacturer, depending on local laws, is required to make spare parts available for a specific time period after the product has been withdrawn from sale in that local market therefore enabling the customer to replace a defective component and return their system to original working order / condition.

If you require a new mainboard you can still purchase one for the 6276-31U, at least you can in Germany, it costs €224,80 plus 19% tax.

If you wish to upgrade the system with a more modern / better component, it's down to you and you alone to find out which components are compatible and will work on your system. You could alway start with the document MIGR-4W4JQG.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Ryton

Andy, also irrelevant... If you took the time to read this thread it's about IBM/Lenovo Customer Support/Technical Support, or rather, lack thereof. Not the legal obligations a company is forced to comply with. I have already demonstrated that other companies outshine IBM/Lenovo in this regard. I don't need to purchase anything or would want to from IBM/Lenovo. All that is required is an answer to a question which should be readily available but apparently IS NOT.
andyP

I have read the thread, that's one reason why I am here, you seem to have misunderstood what ajkula66 and I have written.

Before you hi-jacked this thread you posted;

Ryton wrote:

Please identify the fastest supported PIII processor for this board (including Intel product code) plus minimum required BIOS version.   

This is your problem, not Lenovo's or IBM's as you want to change a systems components from it's original status; they are not obliged to, or required to. "Full Stop". IBM is however obliged to supply parts for a resonable period of time in order that you can return the system to ORIGINAL working order / condition and no more.

Please consider this situation very carefully.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more. FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Ryton

Andy, I've not misunderstood those posts and the bottom line here is the obvious lack of IBM/Lenovo Customer Support as properly demonstrated by other companies. Period!
andyP

You have still not stated in reasonable arguement why you consider Lenovo / IBM have offered poor support, only that you have not received an answer to your other post. I have proven to you that it is possible to obtain parts for the system.

This thread is now locked. If you feel it necessary to start a new thread on this subject, please do so bearing in mind that support and upgrading are two different subjects.

My apologies to benceteo for locking this thread, please start a new thread, as this one was hijacked, and if necessary refer to this thread if needs require.

Andy  

PepperonI blog