Support in other languages: 
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: Lenovo Thinkpads and IBM ... Comments Please

i don't need any links.... because i have done both these things numerous times....... before my 17 inch Macbook pro, i had a 15.4 inch Macbook pro that i bought around 1 year ago...... couple of months ago, i was in a hurry and i put the laptop in a laptop bag and forgot to zip it up.... when i lift the laptop bag up, the Mac fell out of the bag and smashed right into the ground...... the momentum of the drop cracked the screen and warped my Macbook pro a bit..... the screen was completely dead and the laptop had problem starting.... i asked the seller how much it would cost to fix the thing, he told me it would probably be cheaper to purchase a new one and just scrap my current one for parts...... no need to say i wasn't happy.....

while i haven't dropped my R61i, T61p yet (thank god)..... but the T40 and X31 have been dropped numerous times..... the T40 is bit worse for wear, but considering i dropped it 4 times so far, i am pretty happy about it.... LCD has got some broken pixels, keyboard section has some small cracks (fixed using superglues), dock latch is bit broken and some other parts of the laptop got hairline cracks through it.... but its still working..... faired very well for the tortures it had gone through..... X31 has a slightly broken LCD frame, but i got that fixed up by getting some second hand parts...... my friend dropped her Macbook and got that completely smashed to bits..... so i guess i got some personal experience with Mac and Thinkpads needless to say.....

but then again no one is asking people to drop their laptops.... but i love Mac don't get me wrong, for $4000 i got a 2.6 ghz Penryn cpu, 512 mb graphics card, 4 gig ram and 250 gig harddrive all in a 17 inch, 3.2 kg package.... its far better than a Alienware.. unless you got $7000 to burn of course....
Punch Card
TrishaK

wjli2,

Thank you for your clarification.

I am sorry if I had offended you in any way.

Cheers!
Bit Torrent
wjli2

TrishaK, when i say crack, i did refer to Mac and not Macbook pro.... and also there is other things to crack other than the casing... i.e. LCD... unless Apple is making the LCD from alloy now not the traditional glass..... maybe next time you could drop your Macbook pro and Thinkpads from 1 m and see which one sustain more damages and costs more to repair.....
Punch Card
TrishaK

wjli2,

Again, SORRY! MY BAD!

As for your proposed test, I would really love to see such a thing. We have had Thinkpads in our office die completely after being knocked off a desk - broken LCD and all

There was a test with a MacBook pro falling down a flight of stairs - and it survived perfectly - (i have to find that link again)

Thinkpads are strong - but - not indestructable

I hope my T61 will survive...
Fanfold Paper
Adamneb

There is no 15.4 macbook!

In one place you state MacBook pro 15.4 and at another macbook, it would be nice if you stop commenting on your imaginary mac!

Just so you know there are docks available for mac also.
Bit Torrent
wjli2

nothing is indestructible, i wish they were but there are not..... regarding the issue of thinkpads breaking, it really depends on angle of fall, the surface on which it has fallen on.... now the Lenovo thinkpads even got protection system for its screen not just the motherboards..... if you really like to break things then Panasonic toughbook is your thing, but be prepared to pay for the premium costs, at around $7000 for a comparable spec.... or just take out a Lenovo accidental care, and you can break your stuff to your hearts content.... regarding Macbook pro, they do not have internal roll cages, well they don't really need it given the fact they have such a strong outer casing made of aluminum.... this also helps to save weight in many regards.... 17 inch Mac only weighs in at around 3 kg.... truly amazing..... but if you manage to bend the casing of the Macbook pro then the motherboard would also bend with it, as its attached to the casing....... but a scratched Mac is not a good look.... but at the end of the day, each to their own, people are given a choice to buy what they want and what they need.... as such, i like both mac and ibm now lenovo products... so i buy both... not a bad thing....
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Adam don't be so cynical, if you are too poor to purchase a pair of reading glasses, i can surely provide you with one... i never stated that i have a Macbook with a 15.4 inch screen.... unless they are making a special edition one for me.... i did purchase a white macbook two years ago.... but i have given it to my girlfriend ages ago.... i also have a 17 inch dell XPS, two broken HP/Compaq, a water damaged sony 13.3 inch Vaio that don't run on battery (given to me by my friend) and a sleek 12.1 inch fujitsu laptop containing a broken HDD..... so what if i like to spend all my money on laptops, there are plenty of people like me on this board, big deal...... and what is the with your link for Mac... ipods??? is that even relevant to this discussion????
Bit Torrent
wjli2

In addition Apple don't make any official docks for Macbook or Macbook pro... unless you are making it on their behalf.... the aftermarket docks just use the existing connection ports on the laptop.... its a slight improvement, but not a whole lot.... Lenovo do have OEM docks, if you haven't noticed....
Bit Torrent
wjli2

[ Edited ]
we all know you work for Apple, just because i stated the Apple warranty in Australia is not on par with some other computer companies.... i.e. charging customer for repairs that were clearly the problem of Apple.... i.e. faulty battery in ipods....don't take it as a personal attack on you.... Apple are clearly not aiming for the corporate markets, just like Ferrari is not aiming for the same market as BMW or Benz...

Also here is the link regarding the general census of apple stock warranties
http://www.macworld.com/article/56834/2007/03/mbpservice.html

Message Edited by wjli2 on 04-16-2008 06:37 PM
Punch Card
TrishaK

wjli2 wrote:
we all know you work for Apple, just because i stated the Apple warranty in Australia is not on par with some other computer companies.... i.e. charging customer for repairs that were clearly the problem of Apple.... i.e. faulty battery in ipods....don't take it as a personal attack on you.... Apple are clearly not aiming for the corporate markets, just like Ferrari is not aiming for the same market as BMW or Benz...

Also here is the link regarding the general census of apple stock warranties
http://www.macworld.com/article/56834/2007/03/mbpservice.html

Message Edited by wjli2 on 04-16-2008 06:37 PM

I hope those comments were not directed at me.

I am a Thinkpad user -- dont have a mac

--just commenting on industry practices in an effort to improve lenovo

:smileyhappy: