Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

New Brand Logos for ThinkPad

[ Edited ]
The brand Logos on Thinkpad are changing....

Who already has the new ones?

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-16-2008 09:46 AM

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-16-2008 09:49 AM

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-16-2008 09:49 AM

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
ryengineer

Re: New Brand Logos for ThinkPad

Since Romans already established “de gustibus non disputandum" (you cannot argue about taste) so after seeing as many thinkpads with and without IBM logo, I prefer the former for historical reasons. Nevertheless I find the latest “Thinkpad” logo quite fascinating, especially the prominent red color dot in alphabet “i” which matches very well with the trackpoint stick and an engraved recognition mark of respective series ( i.e. X, T, R) on the palmrest and outer lid makes these machines very easy to identify from both user and audience perspectives.

Now the engraved “lenovo” logo Mr. Deepak showed is similar to the ones lenovo puts on consumer line of notebooks in China or other parts of Asia such as India, also seen on lenovo 3000 series and the recently released Ideapads in the US. In my viewpoint it’s a good idea in terms of promoting lenovo brand but poor execution in respect of design, a lid with two separate labels at different locations doesn’t portray it as a clean design that thinkpads are famous for, combining the two at one place would be far better or moving it in the middle will make all lenovo notebooks look consistent in terms of branding.

Obviously it seems like the decision to add second “lenovo” logo has already been made but following were my vague ideas:

2 (in coherent with picture 3)

5 (A thinkpad at an event with lenovo logo, be your own judge)

Evidently a logo wouldn't stop any new or long time thinkpad users from buying a robust, consistent, persistent, structured and well engineered notebook provided lenovo delivers and fulfills their expectations.

..................................................................................................
I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

Present: T60 2007-55U, IBM 701c,
WorkStation: IBM IntelliStation A Pro.
billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

The embossed Lenovo logo is bad idea IMO.  Not the inclusion of a Lenovo logo per se, but the embossing part.... as it will collect dirt/grunge and be yet another thing to clean out in the field.  Please reconsider this!

As far as the IBM ThinkPad logo versus just ThinkPad... I have ThinkPads with both logo plate types and it doesn't make any difference either way for me

Cheers,

Bill
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Retired Moderator
vkyr

[ Edited ]
Related to Thinkpads, I like the new bigger Thinkpad logo and thus would personally prefer a sort of combined Thinkpad line and Lenovo brand logo, instead of two far away seperated logos. So something like this (...the missing model/type writing has of course to be taken into account somehow) might probably look better for Thinkpads than two single placed logos on different areas.

...but if the model name (nameplate) has to be taken into account like --> here  <--, or as it can be seen on some other actual Thinkpad models, things will get obviously a little bit more difficult. Then the above shown fictitious logo stickers would have to be reworked/reordered accordingly, so that the ThinkPad, Series and lenovo writings are still looking in a harmonc fashion. -  However, I believe that the Lenovo corporate designers would be able to find some pleasant way to implement something like this.

Message Edited by vkyr on 02-19-2008 09:42 PM

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

[ Edited ]
IMHO, those vkyr are were a little big for my liking, they looked more like adverts :smileywink:
I think Lenovo should stick with what we have now, discreet, unobtrusive and elegant. You can't tell the difference between a Dell and some HPs because they have this big "blob" in the middle of the lid. You can always spot a ThinkPad because of its clean, smart and uncluttered black lid.

Edited

Message Edited by andyP on 02-19-2008 09:59 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Retired Moderator
vkyr

Well the size is of course adjustable, basically I've just took some of the existing Lenovo logos from here and arranged them slightly to the actual known shape of the Thinkpad logo. - However, it's just meant to give another idea and thus just one of n-possibilities. :smileywink:

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

I agree n-possibilities, as long as it's discreet and not a big "blob" of an advert. I also think that using two corners as proposed looks to me, illogically I know, somehow imbalanced. Maybe I'm just stuck in a rut and am too "traditional"  Rolling Eyes

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Retired Moderator
vkyr

I'am also somehow traditionally Thinkpad biased, so to say old school or the other way around influenced from the early IBM Thinkpad days.  - However in stead of Lenovo, I would for the famous and traditional  Thinkpad line, take the original logo here and start to see what can be done out of this. Meaning, try to substitute the IBM brand name with the Lenovo brand name in some nice discreet manner, which will hopefully also please old school guys like us.

IMHO the most important part for the logo will be the ThinkPad writing, it has to show beyond doubt and in a discreet manner, that this is indeed a ThinkPad. The brand logo itself is therefor maybe only secondary and thus has to be even more discreet. - That's just one of the possibilities that I roughly wanted to show and there are of course also a bunch of other arrangements possible.

BTW, maybe I should make clear that I'am only musing about a possible logo for the Thinkpad line here and not about the general Lenovo logo which is just fine for their other notebook lines, like the 3000 or IdeaPad series.

community supermod
erik

vkyr - one thing to keep in mind is that the "lenovo" moniker doesn't need advertised to be recognizable or popular.   you recognize a nike product by the swoosh, a rolex by the crown, and lenovo's top-of-the-line notebook by the thinkpad logo.   the term thinkpad is recognized worldwide regardless of it being from IBM or lenovo.   because lenovo are a young company, it's best not to overwhelm customers with too much branding.

i like what's being done on thinkpads; a subtle lenovo stamp on the lid, a slightly more predominant one on the display's clear plate, and larger thinkpad logos on the lid and palmrest.   if done properly then the thinkpad namesake will retain its status as a worldly brand associated with a quality product.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Punch Card
Snife

vkyr, thats always what i thought the best idea would be, your last logo would be the perfect compromise (given that I dont think the Lenovo logo is wanted or required on the outside at all), especially if still done in either the glossy black or just simply embossedl, its the 2 distinstly separate and cluttered logos that annoy me