Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
LukeD
Accepted Solution

Nvidia Reports Large Quantities of Defective Notebook Chips

Has there been any word or update from Lenovo on this issue? Have ThinkPads even been identified as notebooks with this problem?

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4483

MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
Greps Everything
ConnectDon

Re: Nvidia Reports Large Quantities of Defective Notebook Chips

Here's the SEC filing (emphasis mine):

Item 8.01 Other Events.

On July 2, 2008, NVIDIA Corporation stated that it would take a $150 million to $200 million charge against cost of revenue to cover anticipated customer warranty, repair, return, replacement and other consequential costs and expenses arising from a weak die/packaging material set in certain versions of our previous generation MCP and GPU products used in notebook systems. All newly manufactured products and all products currently shipping in volume have a different and more robust material set.

The previous generation MCP and GPU products that are impacted were included in a number of notebook products that were shipped and sold in significant quantities. Certain notebook configurations of these MCP and GPU products are failing in the field at higher than normal rates. While we have not been able to determine a root cause for these failures, testing suggests a weak material set of die/package combination, system thermal management designs, and customer use patterns are contributing factors. We have developed and have made available for download a software driver to cause the system fan to begin operation at the powering up of the system and reduce the thermal stress on these chips. We have also recommended to our customers that they consider changing the thermal management of the MCP and GPU products in their notebook system designs. We intend to fully support our customers in their repair and replacement of these impacted MCP and GPU products that fail.

We have begun discussions with our supply chain regarding reimbursement to us for some or all of the costs we have incurred and may incur in the future relating to the weak material set. We will also seek to access our insurance coverage. We continue to not see any abnormal failure rates in any systems using NVIDIA products other than certain notebook configurations. However, we are continuing to test and otherwise investigate other products. There can be no assurance that we will not discover defects in other MCP or GPU products.

Don

Token Ring
LukeD

Thank you, Don!
MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**
Token Ring
biowizard

My T43 uses an ATI (AMD) Radeon X600, so I guess that's OK. I think Lenovo have used ATI in many of their models.

Brian

Retired Guru
amace

It would be nice if they said exactly what chips are having problems.  It says older graphics chips are having issues, so does that mean my T61 will be ok?  It would be nice if they gave more specifics.

T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Punch Card
pattk

NVDA dorpped 30% on July 3. If you don't hold their stocks, you don't feel the pain.
It might have something to do with the T61 graphic BSOD crash problems.
T42p 2373HVU P M 745 (1.8GHz) WinXP Pro 2GB RAM ATI FireGL T2 128MB 15 UXGA
T61p 6459CTO C2D T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2) Vista Business 3GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M 15.4 WUXGA
Token Ring
biowizard

While my ThinkPad T43 is safe (ATI), I wonder whether this also affects workstations? (OT alert ...) - I've recently bought an S10 workstation, which uses nVidia graphics. It's working at the moment!

Brian

Retired Employee
kr00zn

I think the bottom line is that until Nvidia discloses exactly what GPU's are affected, we won't know what systems are affected. 

According to this blog/article:   

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9244 

"(Note: I’m trying to find a Nvidia advisory for this download, but the drivers are based on the model of chip. The rub: Nvidia hasn’t detailed what systems are impacted by this glitch. In a nutshell, this driver may be available, but good luck finding it on Nvidia’s site–it appears to be an OEM first strategy)."

Token Ring
LukeD

Thank you, biowizard, amace, pattk, and kroozn!
802.11n
sktn77a

I think by "previous generation" they mean the 8000 series chips - ie the "current generation" of notebook chips, to the real world!
Keith
Formerly 600E 2645, T30 2366, X31 2673, T40 2373, T41 2379, T42 2373, T42 2379, T60 1952, T61p 8889, T61p 8891
Currently T420 4177-CTO, T430 2347-A54, T430 2349-L64, T430 2347-UN9, T430 2342-CTR, Ideapad K1, H520S 2561-1LU