Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
carthikv12

Re: T61p - Quadro FX 570 - in trouble?

To jusdisguy,

the symptoms you experienced don't seem to be because of this issue... it might've been that your comp crashed cos of overheating... summer weather + placing the laptop in an improperly ventilated place or on a carpet or the bed can see temps go really high... can you recall approx room temp and where you were using the laptop? and how long were you playing the game?

i'm only guessing here because if your graphics card fails due to this 'weak packaging material', there's no turning back. it's physically damaged and has to be replaced to light up ur screen again! since it's working fine for you now, i think it was just the temps getting too high or something less severe...

Punch Card
justdisguy

To Carthikv12: Thanks for that, I appreciate the insight. My computer lives, so I'll assume it was a temporary overheating issue. (I was using it on a desk in an office environment for about an hour.)
Paper Tape
ronliang

Will T61 have solutions for the G84 issue?

Now It seems that Dell & HP have some solutions for the faulty nvidia G84 GPUs by some new BIOSs.

Will T61 have some?

Or if T61 has already got some solutions?

Punch Card
carthikv12

Hey Ron,

I think there have been fixes... first there was a bios fix in the thinkvantage update checking thing. this actually caused more fluctuation in temps though i saw it reach some of the lowest temps. and about 2 days ago, they launched new video card drivers... i've noticed that though the temp is higher by about 6-7C, it's constant... there's a little fluctuation at start... it climbs from 55 to 64 or something and stabilizes at 61C. 57C if i'm in an air conditioned room here...

I remember the bios fix was listed under 'critical update' and the video driver was in 'recommended update'. I'm not sure why lenovo's been quiet about this... but i just hope it lasts for a while!

Paper Tape
ronliang

Re: Nvidia Reports Large Quantities of Defective Notebook Chips

The changelog did not mention that.

both the bios and the nvidia driver.

the bios is about the new stepping ICH-8,

the driver adds support for vista sp1.

Punch Card
carthikv12

yea they didn't mention anything... i was just assuming they must be fixes... but i did notice the changes that i mentioned... i ran them through the usual cycles of starting and watching about 2 hours of video...
Paper Tape
ronliang

There should be an offical announcement for this issue.
Punch Card
carthikv12

yea i really hope so... there was this big article that named a big bunch of manufacturers and lenovo wasn't in that list! so maybe just maybe there's an outside chance that we got good chips...

OR 

lenovo has just quietly released these fixes through a more subtle title saying the driver was for better vista support or whatever... there's just no way to tell until nvidia opens up i guess...

Token Ring
warder

I suspect that with Thinkpads generally having better cooling design, that the problem will already affect us less than other manufacturers.

Reading a couple of those links, I see that Thinkpad owners see graphics cards having 61C temperatures, versus 100C for Dell owners.  That is a big difference.  If the material degrades quicker at higher temperatures, then we're already ahead of the curve.  The BIOS upgrades put out by Dell & HP are simply to try and cool their chips more.

As with all these types of hardware issues, only time will tell.  If your graphics card dies, then I'm sure it will be fixed for free. Until then, unless you're seeing instability - random graphics hangups/crashes, then there's probably nothing to worry about and nothing to be done.

Token Ring
LukeD

Thank you very much for your perspective, Warder.

That is an important point that we have not mentioned. ThinkPads have a better cooling system.

I too am sure that should my graphics card die, it will be fixed at no charge.

MacBook Pro, with an aluminum unibody enclosure **As of September 15, 2008, our company has completely switched to Apple. Having used ThinkPad products for over 10 years, we had desperately tried to find just one reason to continue using these products, to no avail. We are of the view that ThinkPads are no longer premium products. We wish you the best of luck with your ThinkPad! Happy computing…**