Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
LambertJohn

Outlet Store, Never Any Thinkpads!

Looking to buy a T520 from the outlet store, but everytime I go there to do some shopping, they got nothing! Zippo! Nada! Once in a while a very expensive T420 will pop up, but then it's gone 20 minutes later, only to reappear again. Really weird stuff going on there.

Anyway, what gives with Thinkpads at the outlet store? Do I have to keep checking every five minutes in order to snag a good deal? Ironically, there's quite a few folks on eBay selling Lenovo Refurbished Thinkpads. I wonder if Lenovo subcontracts these guys to peddle their canceled orders and refurbs. Opinions?

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: Outlet Store, Never Any Thinkpads!

LambertJohn wrote:. I wonder if Lenovo subcontracts these guys to peddle their canceled orders and refurbs. Opinions?

I would not be surprised.

What's DOS?
LambertJohn

Yeah,  a T420 popped up a moment ago (5:35 p.m. Saturday) for $492, fully loaded. There was an ADD TO CART button but underneath it, it said, "Availability = 0 in stock. So I can add it to my cart, but I don't really get one. Funny thing is, I've seen this exact T420 pop up on the Outlet store several times over the last few weeks with the quantity always being 0. Later tonight, it will be gone. Tomorrow it will be back. Lenovo's really messing with my mind. 

Token Ring
muol

[ Edited ]

Must be due to the Holidays, for they usually have lots of Thinkpads in all flavors. But you have to be extremely quick to get one of the good deals. They are usually gone within seconds. It seems Lenovo Outlet is literally besieged by all kinds of resellers who grab the best machines and offer them on eBay.

What's very annoying is the fact that sold out machines are still displayed as zero in stock. It sometimes happens that all listed machines are actually out of stock, and it stays like this until the site is maintained each night between 12-3 am.

This is how I got my T420:

1. take your time for monitoring the shop.

2. use the filtering option (i.e. display size, resolution, etc.) to slim down the list of displayed machines.

3. refresh frequently, it's still a lottery to hit the right time point.

4. if you're lucky to see a newly listed machine, hit the add to cart button immediately. If you start reading any of the description first, it's already too late. Once the item is in your cart it is reserved for 15 minutes and you can check it out in detail.

5. be ready to make compromises in terms of specs.

Good luck.

----------------------------------
ThinkPad W700, W701, T40p, T420, X200S, TPT2, ThinkStation D20, ThinkCentre M90z, M92p
erik

once you add a system to your cart, it's pulled from availability for 15 minutes to reserve it and prevent duplicate orders for a single unit.   this is why you'll occasionally see a system's inventory change from 1 to 0 back to 1 while browsing the site.

regarding resellers with refurbished systems, if they're an authorized reselling partner then they are offered refurb systems directly.   non-authorized resellers might purchase through the outlet to resell online but that's something anyone could do.

if you see a good price in the outlet you can count on it disappearing quickly.   i wouldn't doubt that there are some individuals (and resellers) who watch the site constantly waiting for a good deal.   it's amazing how quickly certain systems disappear.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Fanfold Paper
fusion

muol wrote:

This is how I got my T420:

1. take your time for monitoring the shop.

2. use the filtering option (i.e. display size, resolution, etc.) to slim down the list of displayed machines.

3. refresh frequently, it's still a lottery to hit the right time point.

---------------------

Refresh very frequently

Token Ring
muol

erik wrote:

once you add a system to your cart, it's pulled from availability for 15 minutes to reserve it and prevent duplicate orders for a single unit.   this is why you'll occasionally see a system's inventory change from 1 to 0 back to 1 while browsing the site.

I often see the same laptops being constantly displayed as out of stock for hours or even a day until the shop goes down for maintenance.

erik wrote:

regarding resellers with refurbished systems, if they're an authorized reselling partner then they are offered refurb systems directly.   non-authorized resellers might purchase through the outlet to resell online but that's something anyone could do.

It's indeed harder to say for the mainstream models, whether they have been offered in outlet first or came through direct channels. But for the rare, high priced W701 series you can often tell. They are expensive enough to stay a while longer, and go within a day or two, just to be found for a hefty premium on eBay shortly thereafter.
----------------------------------
ThinkPad W700, W701, T40p, T420, X200S, TPT2, ThinkStation D20, ThinkCentre M90z, M92p
What's DOS?
LambertJohn

A couple of T520s came up this morning. Also, a T420s. But the price was pretty steep. Checked back an hour later and the only one left was a T520 with 1366x768 display, the crap display. Being fast is one thing, no problem there, but getting one at a good price is another thing alltogether. I'll keep trying. May just end up having to buy new. 

erik

LambertJohn - you could also consider finding a pre-configured model in the thinkpad PSREF sheets (direct link / 6MB PDF), then purchasing from a reseller.   "topseller" models are typically priced quite well and competitive with CTO models purchased new via lenovo.com.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP