Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
RobertE
Accepted Solution

Problems connecting to the internet - t61

[ Edited ]

I just recieved my t61, which is a superb notebook, but i'm having trouble connecting to the internet.

I spoke with ISP and they tried to help but said its an error with the computer not picking up the internet.

I plugged in the ethernet cable to my notebook and restarted the modem, then under LAN it just keeps saying 'unidentified network' and will not let me get on the internet. My modem is showing that it recognizes I have the computer hooked up.

Any help is much appreciated.

Message Edited by RobertE on 08-09-2008 10:07 AM
JaneL

Re: Problems connecting to the internet - t61

Welcome to the forum!

Can you give us some additional details?  Cable or DSL?  Is there a router in the mix?  If so, which one?

Try turning the modem and computer both off.  Connect the ethernet cable from one to the other (take the router out of the mix if you're using one).  Turn on the modem and let it sync itself to the cable/dsl first.  Then turn on the computer.  Any luck?

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Paper Tape
RobertE

Its cable, which is run into a Thomson modem then into the notebook.

I tried restarting the modem/computer, and nothing. My ISP said the computer should automatically sync up to the 

cable when the modem is restarted.. I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I feel like im missing something simple.  

Bit Torrent
wjli2

let me guess you are using Vista??? it is probably due to the firewall security setting.
Paper Tape
RobertE

Vista came installed on the computer, and I figured it could be interfering so I disabled the firewall and got the same result.
802.11n
Solvan

Perhaps you can connect the modem with another computer, say desktop, and check if you have the same response. Just to isolate the problem, it might be a modem issue.

Paper Tape
RobertE

It works fine with my desktop, I'm almost certain its not the modem.
JaneL

RobertE wrote:

I feel like im missing something simple.  

Oh, it usually is something that makes you smack your forehead in disbelief.

I guess you checked your userid, password, protocols, etc when you were working with your ISP?

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Paper Tape
RobertE

I thought it was originally the username/pw I had wrong. Comcast however told me I dont need those and it should automatically detect it and allow me to access the internet? Who knows haha.
Greps Everything
ConnectDon

Are you using Access Connections (Start > All Programs > ThinkVantage > Access Connections)?  If so, is your profile set up for wireless connection only?

Don