Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Significant problems with On-Site Next Day support! Damaging to Lenovo's reputation.

This is our last port of call for trying to avail of a support service that has been paid for! Our next step will be formal proceedings.

In December, we purchased a single ThinkPad 420s (+ accessories) along with 3 Year Onsite Next Business Day support via the Lenovo Ireland web-site. This order was processed by Digital River I(Ireland). This purchase represented a first step in evaluating the possibility of changing suppliers from Dell to Lenovo for all Laptop, Desktop and Server equipment for our company.

The laptop was delivered successfully, however no documentation was received regarding the Warranty / Onsite Support. When this was clarified with Digital River, we were informed by Digital River that there was in fact no documentation associated with this and that all was complete.

On 17 February, the ThinkPad failed to power on. Upon calling Lenovo Technical Support (apparently operated by an IBM business unit), we were informed that the Onsite Next Business Day Support had not been registered. To do so, we were told to contact Digital River to obtain the required information. In the meantime, no Onsite support would be available, and efforts to diagnose the problem over the phone merely identified that either the system board or power management circuits were faulty, and would probaby need replacing.

After contacting them by phone, Digital River then provided us with a copy of all VAT Invoices (plus a credit note for accessories that failed to be delivered) and informed us to submit this invoice to thinkpls_we@lenovo.com which we duly did. In response to this, we were asked by a person (using a Lenovo e-mail address) for additional information. This information was Contract (4996..) and PIN and we were asked to reply to the e-mail if further clarification was required. As we do not have this information, and are not aware of what it is, we duly responded asking for clarification. After 24 hours, no further clarification has yet been received from Lenovo.

In parallel with the request for clarification returned to Lenovo (to which no response has yet been received, despite a second follow up e-mail, a phone call and the provision of a return mobile phone number that can be contacted at ANY time), a similar question seeking clarification was also forwarded to Digital River, with a similar result - NO RESPONSE!

Further telephone calls and e-mails to both Lenovo and Digital River have so far gone unanswered! We still do not have any of the information required to complete the registration, nor even an explanation of what this information is and where we might obtain it.

In the meantime, we have continued to try and get a satisfactory response from Lenovo Technical Support in the form of the paid for Onsite Next Business Day support, with no success, as the [IBM Staff?] operating the technical support service will not perform any work without the appropriate registration being completed.

Now, three working days after the fault was reported, we still do not have any satisfactory or clear response from Lenovo, Digital River or even IBM.

This situation is completely unacceptable and is having a significant adverse effect on user productivity and consequential knock on in our business.

It also calls into question the whole Lenovo supply chain//support environment, and shows that there are significant inadequacies in the services being provided, with a consequential adverse impact on Lenovo's reputation.

As purchasers of high-end server and workstation equipment, used in the context of systems development and delivery to top 5 pharmaceutical companies world-wide, we rely on prompt technical support and pay extra to ensure this is available however it appears that Lenovo cannot provide a clear and consistent support environment.

Furthermore, as a long time user of ThinkPad equipment, starting with the very early 700 series laptops and taking in x-Series servers along the way, I am hoping that this is an isolated incident that will be resolved promptly, however the experience so far has been poor enough to call into question nearly 20 years of positive experience with ThinkPad products.

As noted at the top of this long note, this board is my last resort as I have not been able to find any other way to get through to Lenovo to get this situation resolved. Any help, direction or suggestion will be very gratefully received.

Stephen Booth

Chief Technology Officer - Scale-Up Systems

Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Re: Significant problems with On-Site Next Day support! Damaging to Lenovo's reputation.

After 5 business days (of which 4 alone elapsed whilst I tried to get to the bottom of registering for next-day on-site support, I finally got past milestone 1 : Next Day On-Site Support is now available ...

The next Milestone is parts!! 

Once I called the service desk, they informed me that there were no replacement mother boards for my T420s in stock (I hope they mean in stick in Ireland!) and that someone would contact me to arrange the 'Next Day' visit once they had the part in hand.

So, just to make things clear - Next Day On-Site Support" actually means -  

Next day, if and only if, the following conditions are all met:

1. Digital River have actually given you the information required to register the purchase of the support contract

2. You have registered the support contract with Lenovo Warranty Support

3. You have waited for the registration to pass from Lenovo Warranty Support to the IBM ThinkPad team

4. There are spare parts available in your country/area

So, that's at least four separate conditions to be satisfied. So far, I have made it to three out of the four. If there are any more, I'll post another update here.

In all honesty, for a business-class machine, this level of support is diabolical, and I will certainly be looking at the alternatives in the future.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Lenovo support and customer care provide NO SERVICE!

Three wereks after it failed, I still do not have any ETA (promised multiple times) for the (Extended Warranty, Next Day- On-Site support) repair of a T420s that failed after less than 2 weeks of use. 

Repeated calls to the service centre have so resulted in NO information despite repeated promises that I would be called back. As there is no way to track the status of calls an incidents in writing (either via e-mail or on-line dialogs), I can only conclude that the service is build this way on order to make it difficult, if not impossible, for action to be taken, other than via legal channels.  

After spending a week trying to get Digital River/Lenovo and IBM Technical Services to even recognise the paid for purchase of the Warranty Upgrade, and now waiting for over two additional weeks for any real or useful further information, I can only conclude that Lenovo are happy to take the money and run, and are not interested in their customers.

The Lenovo sales and support environment  is clearly a disaster area and a demonstration of a totally disfunctional service, and in view of this abject failiure, I am now revising the  IT procurement policy for my company.

How do you spell DELL?

Stephen Booth

CTO - Scale-up Systems

Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Re: Significant problems with On-Site Next Day support! Damaging to Lenovo's reputation.

[ Edited ]

The saga continues ...

I am still no clearer to hearing when my laptop will be fixed, three weeks after it first failed. How long does it take to get a new motherboard for a current model, top of the range Laptop? 

With no documentation trail and only phone calls to go on, I have been informed that it will be difficult (and obviously expensive) to challenge this situation legally. This appears to clearly be a specific policy decision by Lenovo for this very reason. 

Lenovo Support - in my experience you are a total disaster for your customers! My long (20 years!) admiration for the ThinkPad brand has now been utterly destroyed.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Episode <next>

After issuing my final warning prior to pursuit of action under the terms of Irish Consumer Protection Legislation, I finally got a human response from the Lenovo Warranty team (partially distancing themselves from the issue).

In following up on Warranty team's response, the person who had responded was good enough to provide me with additional contact details (e-mail) for another team.

This next team (to which I have forwarded my complaint) appears to be Financial Complaints) and they have now passed on the details on to the Customer Complaints Management Team with a request to escalate and call back ASAP.

So many teams, so little action, even less information!

Hopefully I will see some progress at last, but the legal clock is ticking!