Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Survey Question 10 Results: Other Comments / Thoughts about Selecting a Business-Class Laptop, p 1

[ Edited ]

Question 10:

Any other comments or thoughts about selecting a business-class laptop?

Go to later results pages:

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Results Page 1:

Would like even higher-resolution screens, like 4MP.

Display is highest priority. After T60 IPS there are no longer thinkpads available for me. I'd choose a PVA panel over an IPS model. Contrast with good viewing angles is more important than extreme viewing angles.

It should be SO GOOD and durable as to NEVER need to worry about warranty.

I do not only select for myself, but also for the company I work at and we also resell ThinkPad's, there is definitely a need to rethink many things, but considering the market, I still think it is the best laptop. One more important thing, even though many people find the stable look and the fact that all models look the same old fashioned, we see that this is still important for the bigger companies, and now also with the medium sized companies.

Difficult to meet all criteria: Battery life, performance, screen quality (function of resolution, clarity, surface finish), with a ThinkPad keyboard or better, easily swapped hard drive, three or more USB ports, ABGN WiFi, WWAN vendor support, Business and MILSPEC data security, free of SPAMWare, and rugged.

I've always been a huge fan of Thinkpads - I've bought, or been responsible for buying about 25 of the thinkpads in the last decade. However, the newer ones are not nearly as compelling as the older designs, which seem to have been made with a bit more pride, and to appeal to a technical user. The best pointing device is the trackpoint by far (shame it takes an hour to get used to it, which puts newbies off; and it's far better at max sensitivity). The best layout is that of the A22, i.e. 2 buttons + 1. This way, we can get an emulated scroll as well as a middle-click. See section 5.2 here for a diagram:
http://www.richardneill.org/a22p-mdk11-0.php#x
Please, please give us some new UXGA (1600x1200 15" screens). hehigh-res 1600x1200 display will...

Not sure at this point. If you want to sell a good LCD you must advertise it. Otherwise, it is not something that would interest most people, until they've seen it. The shops where these are sold, would never put it on display, if they didn't think they could sell it. Make it clear how it is better than the competition/ base models.

Which version of Linux is not important. Avoiding the Windows tax IS important. I would also consider the 15.4" model followed by the 13" model. The turn-off on the latter is high price premium for 1.5 lb. The former is a bit too heavy.

HP Elitebook is more appealing than ThinkPads.

Compact + low weight + good screen resolution.

The customer should be able to choose the operation system. The os should be a simple installation, no extra service which slows down the system. No preinstalled demo software. Better a directory from which a user can choose to install the demo software. Uninstalling unwanted software takes a lot of time and some companies have regulation which software is allowed or not.

I think a display that does not mirror the enviroment is VERY important. So, most of the laptops today are NOT useable!!!

Good keyboard, good screen, durable, good service.

Bring back the IBM (not Lenovo!) class durability and quality! (And get rid of the stupid winbloz button.)

I want a 14" SXGA+ IPS or similar. If I can buy that I'd never buy any other notebook.

4:3 aspect ratio?

I can't stress it enough: DisplayPort that can drive 30" at native resolution 2560 x 1600  like the MacBooks do.

Also very important: Don't put  Fn  at the outer left of the keyboard;  Ctrl  is needed there! At least provide a BIOS option for exchanging the two keys if you don t want to match the other manufacturers here.

Non-glossy screen!

Keep it simple, work on improving the specs and quality in the same basic thinkpad design we all know and love.

None of currently available notebooks are in par with older ThinkPads quality. Only refurbished models remains for now as acceptable items.

The "velvet" finish on the T61 is awful. I got a quality vinyl cover for it and it is _much_ nicer.

Most are included above. If I were forced to chose between optimum hardware (screen, ...) coupled to pre-installed Windows and a less-optimum without Windows, I might avoid Windows (fee to Microsoft) even at the cost of not getting the best HW. I don't need Linux pre-installed, as long as the HW vendor cares about compatibility and provides the info (uses parts for which Linux has drivers).

Professional-grade screens are important - so is build quality. This, together with good support, distinguishes between consumer-grade and business-grade notebooks.

Build quality is most important. But the final decision also depends on usability (screen, expansion ports). As a younger person, who still sometimes plays computer games, discrete graphics chip is also required. Obviously, this last criteria is a personal preference and would be ignored if laptop would be bought by the employer.

I look for higher resolutions to increase productivity, and dedicated graphics to play games when I need a break from working.

In 1995, I spent nearly US $7,000 ( 1995 dollars! ) on a top-quality ThinkPad 755CX. I'm happy to see that prices have fallen considerably since then, but for me, quality / reliability / durability / weight are much more important than just price. Also, I'm dismayed at the trend to "widescreen" ( really, "shortscreen" ) displays. I do a lot of program development, and would certainly prefer the older 4x3 ratio displays.

I expect a high-level of support if I call in with a request. I work in IT for a living. I expect call center operators fluent in my language, who understand the product I need support on, and who speak the language of technology well, so that we can resolve any issue as quickly as possible. I expect on-hold time (prior to reaching the first support technician) to be no more than ten minutes.

Cam should be optional, if any (I have no use for one). Fingerprint is kinda useless for me. SSDs are nice in some cases. Oh, and Linux support :smileyhappy:

Needs to work well with open source without binary blob Has to be robuste Needs a track point

Service matters. If I buy a business laptop of such a category I expect competent and friendly personal in case of damage under warranty. Moreover it should not matter where I bought the laptop or where I am situated once the damage occurs. Ideally there would be a repairing service store nearby which would fix my laptop while waiting.

High build & keyboard quality a must.

For me, low weight is more important than screen size.

I like my X200 ThinkPad. I really would like it to have an LED backlit screen and an SSD. Both are options now but were not when I purchased it. I would also like an ARM chip or something lower power than x86.

Hardware-controlled volume instead of software controlled, [same as] earlier T4x ThinkPads' behaviour.

I like hybrid approaches to laptops. Add an ARM processor in addition to the normal Intel processor and allow the user to decide which one to use when. Same with graphics (switchable).

I hope that high quality, high res 4:3 ratio screens will return. I definitely would buy one. I'm ready to pay extra price for that.

An X301 with similar configuration options to the current X200 with a premium screen, would be an ultimate laptop for me.

Built-in webcam & UMTS modem.

Need 17in options.

I've been using T series ThinkPads for about 8 years now and am very happy with them. I hadn't even considered changing to a different type or brand. I started with a T20, currently use a T43, T61P and T61.

I really, really care about keyboard quality and the integrated TrackPoint, this combination clearly being the best way to interact with a laptop. If a laptop has a crappy keyboard or no TrackPoint, then it'll not be bought.

Would like to see LED backlight standard issue.

Consumers need the option of purchasing a laptop with no operating system installed (or Linux). For the last three years I only purchase used ThinkPads, as I don't want to buy a new ThinkPad and pay for Windows.

There's adage: There are laptops and there are ThinkPads :smileyhappy:  Now am saving money to buy X301 or X200s, as one of them is my future new laptop.

Linux compatible.

On the T series it would be great if I could get something lighter by doing away with the optical drive and having just empty space there.

I need a better screen.

Three things were key in my decision to buy a Thinkpad:

1. Linux compatibility;

2. Keyboard;

3. Screen.

I type very fast, and my fingers sometimes get underneath the keys of other keyboards and pop keys off. The ThinkPad keyboard is great. I don't like the glossy screens. I would sacrifice some brightness for less glare again.

It is for the work not for play. No glossy Display. You can buy spare.

Must have excellent durability, excellent quality, excellent support, and excellent warranty. This is what separates a business-class laptop from consumer laptops.

Good screen is a must! The MacBooks have no competition in this area right now.

Build quality and the speed at which it can perform a task are the most important.

Glossy screens suck. They look nice if the lighting is just right, but a laptop ought to be usable in a variety of circumstances  such as under fluorescent lighting and  if possible  in direct sunlight. Maybe manufacturers should look into transreflective LCDs or e-paper based displays so the backlight doesn't have to outshine the sun for outdoor use. (I realize overall display quality would likely be inferior in some ways, but it would be so much more versatile, and easier on the eyes  too!)

I use mine for photo editing--often in the field--so durability, battery life and weight are most important, as is having enough screen real estate to edit.

Support, Support, and more Support.

It needs to be sturdy, one reason for getting a T61 @ work. Also a sufficient number of USB ports (4 - 8) is a plus point. Furthermore these USB ports should be well protected electrically. I had my mainboard exchanged twice because of the USB ports making problems.

I always format my computer as soon as I get it, so an option for No OS would be nice. I have my own copies of Windows  and I also use Linux. Having it available would be great. A business class laptop  such as the T400 I'm looking at purchasing in addition to the T61p I own already  needs to have a digital video output. HDMI would be perfect. eSATA/USB combo ports are offered on the T400s, and should come out in a T400 refresh. It's these omissions that have me looking at holding off until Mobile Core i5/i7 ThinkPads.

Being able to update the laptop and still use peripherals like docking stations is also a big bonus.

LED should always be option. Offer high quality glossy screen. The T500 matte LED is not top quality.

Accurate Colour.

My biggest issue with recent ThinkPads is really the screen. They simply look like bad when compared to almost any other notebook screen.

Screen resolution isn't as important as screen quality, i.e. color accuracy!!!

Warranty service must work flawlessly within three working days, worldwide!

High quality build, excellent warranty and service.

ThinkPads have always been considered as the flagship representatives of business-class laptops. If Lenovo wants to keep it that way, they must listen to their customers. Lenovo listened and brought back the ThinkVantage System Update. Now Lenovo should listen and put high quality displays into the ThinkPad line. It would be a shame if another company (Apple?) stole the market that Lenovo currently has.

Lenovo is doing a bang up job right now.

For OS: I think all laptops should have an option to come with nothing but an empty hard drive. I realise that the manufacturer makes money off of /Norton/ and the other pre-loaded software, maybe include those on a Recomended Power Software disc so they get their money and marketing, and I get a nice blank HDD to install my already-owned Windows XP or Windows 7 or Arch Linux.

The major criteria are build quality and silent operation.

Just to write down once again: I would not like to see ThinkPads go South in terms of design and overall quality. I am still using my T43 waiting for Lenovo to make the real one Thinkpad.

Where's the ["darn"] FULL SIZE ENTER BUTTON ???

Non-glare screen. At least 4 USB ports. No pseudo security like finger print readers. Decent/accurate (sRGB or better AdobeRGB) screen colors without the need for heavy hardware calibration. Decent keyboard (not crippled like on the MacBooks).

Linux compatibility is a must; I'm not going to suffer through a year of lousy drivers again. There are many laptops with good Linux support these days. Screen quality and keyboard quality are the differentiating factors for me (they're the most important parts to me, and they're also a good proxy for the overall build quality).

Different users have different needs. Linux does not have the problems with small high resolution screen scaling that Windows seems to suffer from.

They need to be sturdy; relatively light; look clean and sleek; have good battery life; not to have any bloatware installed; be able to get serviced for a reasonable amount of money after original warranty has expired; have a good, responsive and no flex keyboard; and at least 3 USB ports.

The T500 I've purchased has stood out to me in one aspect: the bloatware. The pre-installed utilities are mostly useless or resource-intensive upon startup/operation.

It should work without much maintainance. So Intel-Only chip collection / reference platform should be fine. No exotic hardware, just things that are proven to work. It has to balance working power with mobility and look ok.

There is far too much emphasis in the market on wide-screen laptops and 3D graphics, and not nearly enough on long battery life and small weight.

15" screens were good (instead of 15.4").

Not sure if I like glossy screens.

Choice to not have a touch pad (somewhat important).

I'm sure most business customers will want an OS preinstalled. I think hardware and software should be "sold" separately (and I use the term loosely for software) as a matter of principle. Once I buy the laptop I will install Arch Linux but even if it came with Arch Linux, I would buy the OS-less version.

Business-class laptops should offer an option for discrete graphics that are switchable with integrated graphics. This allows for increased battery life on integrated graphics when doing work, and much needed performance on discrete graphics when playing games, watching movies etc. This would be an optimal configuration.

Another area that business-class laptops need to improve on is audio. The speakers on almost all business-class laptops are horrible. They really need an improvement. A brand-name surround-sound system built into the laptop should DEFINITELY be an option, especially on 15" models.

The most important area in which business-class laptops can improve on is display quality. A premium screen is a must-have feature on a notebook. I am tired of all the glossy TN-type displays that are found on most notebooks these days. How about a high-quality MATTE display? Thinkpads have legendary build-quality, yet the display quality is sub par. A laptop meant to be used by professionals should at least have an OPTION for a premium display for those people who need it.

I'm through with consumer grade trash. ThinkPads feel right and have the perfect balance of everything. Dell Latitudes are coming close. If HP could ever figure out how to build a cooling system that works, keep it quiet, use switchable graphics, and have power bricks half the size, they could catch up. 16x9 screens are terribly uncomfortable for me. Hope Lenovo and other business lines hold on to 16X10. I'd like to see an IPS screen on ThinkPads or notebooks in general. I'd pay for it. It's not my number one priority, but I do have some high screen standards. Current ThinkPad LG and Samsung screens are better than the crappy ones for the T61 series (both were WAY too dim, Samsung looked weird). Matte screens are my preference.

Should have XP preinstalled, but use hardware that's well-supported by Linux.

Results Page 2

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-28 07:55 AM
---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Survey Question 12 Results: Reaction to Survey.

[ Edited ]

Question 12:

Thank you for your time!

Results:

Reaction                   Votes 

You're welcome.               702  94%

Bah! This survey was a drag!   12   2%

Other                          30   4%

---------------------------------

Total                         744

Comments for "Other"

A very technical focus. Do most purchasers really get this involved in the details.

I thank You!

You SHOULD RUN LENOVO!!!!!

Meh.

I can only hope Lenovo listens to its customers; I've found their track record a bit uneven.

I will appreciate if you would keep me updated on any progress made.

PLEASE MAKE A GREAT LAPTOP FOR PHOTO EDITING/GAMING

Awesome!

Good work and well thought out survey!

I hope you listen.....

Nice to see no "trick" quesions. You're Welcome ;-)

Send me a free laptop?!

It's $5, thanks!

At the top state "there are just 12 questions to answer" and try to economise a bit - getting it down to 7 would be good. (Getting rid of [Question] 12 is job #1).

Bring back IPS!

More than welcome. I am very excited about the fact that Lenovo will actually look at this.

Make me the perfect laptop!

1001 1010110 110110 1011010 1011010 101001010 1010 101010 110 0101010

Hope this survey will lead to more ~12" high-res, business-class notebooks!

Survey is pretty biased, I don't care about the screen, I care about the build and cost.

Always interested in beta testing new laptops!

I think physical reliability (drop, spill, vibration, etc.) should have been included. Many people do not know that a standard PC can't be mounted in a moving vehicle -- at least not for long.

Hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

I love the T60 :-)

Let's see what comes out of this survey.

As long as someone from Lenovo actually reads these then it was well worth the time.

Keep up the good work.

I love turtles.

Thanks for taking the initiative to provide Lenovo with structured feedback.

Hope to see preinstalled laptops with Linux in the future :smileywink: and You're welcome :smileywink:

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-29 11:46 AM
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Ideal Business Laptop Survey Publicity

[ Edited ]

Links to the survey have been published in these places:

1. this Lenovo forum (2009-06-11)
  2. thinkpads.com forum (2009-06-12)
  3. Linux-Thinkpad mailing list (2009-06-12)
  4. NotebookReview.com Lenovo/IBM forum (2009-06-13)
  5. AnandTech: Desperately Seeking Quality LCDs (2009-06-17)
  6. Digital Photography Review forum (2009-06-17)
  7. Photography-on-the.net forum (2009-06-17); deleted 2009-07-23, they decided I'm a spammer and banned me without warning or notification. :smileysad: At least about 200 people saw it there before its removal, maybe some of them returned a survey.
  8. photo.net forum (2009-06-17)
  9. [H]ard|Forum (2009-06-19)
  10. Ubuntu hardware and laptop forums (2009-06-21)
  11. My signature in these forums (2009-06-22)
  12. Thinkpad mailing list (2009-06-26)
  13. NotebookReview.com Dell Latitude, Vostro and Precision forum (2009-07-06); deleted 2009-07-09*
  14. AnandTech notebooks forum (2009-07-07)
  15. NotebookReview What Notebook Should I Buy? forum (2009-07-08); deleted 2009-07-09*
  16. My signature in the NotebookReview forum (2009-07-09)
  17. Comment 80 in Matt Kohut's Inside the Box blog post mentioning 4:3 and IPS screens (2009-07-15)
  18. thinkpads.com annex on Facebook (2009-07-15); thank you Jane!
  19. Official Lenovo Fan Site on Facebook (2009-07-16); thanks Jane! :smileyhappy:
  20. IBM & Lenovo ThinkPad Owners Facebook group (2009-07-17); thanks Jane!
  21. Another ThinkPad Facebook group (2009-07-18); thanks Jane!
  22. debian-laptop mailing list (2009-07-19); thank you green! :smileyhappy:
  23. Sticky threads at top of General and T / X / W Series sections of this forum (2009-07-23)
  24. Debian User Forums (2009-07-27)

* NotebookReview allows me to post only 1 thread about the survey (number 4 in above list).

Please let me know of other places with with past/current/prospective ThinkPad users who may be interested in taking the survey. And please feel free to post the survey link yourself, and/or email it to people who would be interested.

If you post the survey link to a public place, it would be great if you would note that in this thread, so we have some idea of the populations taking the survey.

Thanks!

Frank

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-28 07:15 AM
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Ideal Business Laptop Survey Response Rate

[ Edited ]

Survey Question 1 Results

Time           Hours  # Respondents

2009-06-10 17:00      0           0

2009-06-11 10:00     17           3

2009-06-13 10:10     65          49

2009-06-14 15:20     94          96

2009-06-15 20:45    124         126

2009-06-17 06:15    157         145

2009-06-18 06:15    181         163

2009-06-19 06:40    206         167

2009-06-20 07:00    230         183

2009-06-21 07:30    254         192

2009-06-22 06:50    278         203

2009-06-23 07:20    302         212

2009-06-24 06:40    326         219

2009-06-24 21:20    340         238

2009-06-25 06:40    350         243

2009-06-26 06:10    373         252

2009-06-27 07:20    398         276

2009-06-28 06:40    422         293

2009-06-29 06:30    446         301

2009-06-30 07:30    470         309

2009-07-01 06:50    494         321

2009-07-02 07:20    518         326

2009-07-03 07:10    542         329

2009-07-04 08:10    567         335

2009-07-05 07:50    591         338

2009-07-06 09:30    617         342

2009-07-07 07:00    638         352

2009-07-08 07:50    663         366

2009-07-09 07:20    686         377

2009-07-10 07:10    710         379

2009-07-11 06:20    733         396

2009-07-12 07:20    758         405

2009-07-13 07:20    782         412

2009-07-14 07:20    806         421

2009-07-15 07:20    830         428

2009-07-16 07:10    854         434

2009-07-17 07:20    878         444

2009-07-18 07:00    902         497

2009-07-19 07:10    926         543

2009-07-20 07:00    950         571

2009-07-21 08:00    975         587

2009-07-22 07:00    998         614

2009-07-23 06:20   1021         631

2009-07-24 06:20   1045         674

2009-07-25 07:10   1070         693

2009-07-26 06:50   1094         713

2009-07-27 06:30   1118         727

2009-07-28 06:10   1141         739

2009-07-29 07:20   1166         776

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-29 11:48 AM
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Survey Question 8 Results p 2: Reasons for Choosing a Laptop Other than 20 Listed ThinkPads

[ Edited ]

Question 8:

Why did you choose the laptop in the previous question?

Results:

One of 20 Listed ThinkPads

Another Laptop

X200s with Premium screen  1280x800 (maybe 1440x900)

I love X200/X200s - size  and weight (portability)  and it has exactly the hardware that I want - and it doesn t have anything else  that I don t need. (except the screen)

Either x200/s or Fujitsu or new T400s

x301 not a good value for me  want something more portable even than a standard T400

X200/s with premium 1440x900/WXGA+

Size (12" but with a WXGA+ resolution), the Expresscard slot, battery life, weight.

The smallest physical yet comfortable screen size for WXGA+ is the 12". 1280x800 is too little real estate, I will not buy a 1280x800 computer, even if it were smaller and lighter. I seldomly connect my X200s to an external screen, as I mostly use mine "in the field".

X200s

X300 too expensive.  X200s better long term battery and faster processor.  Like the X300 size the best but with all of the X200s features and price.

x200 with a Premium Screen, 1280x800 or 1440x900

12" is big enough, screen quality and resolution are two things I'd improve on x200.

X200s with Premium Screen 1440x900

Current screen in X200(s) is very poor in all areas.

x200s with high resolution screen

Lightweight, small, but still usable keyboard, long battery life, good display.

x200s 1440x900 (140ppi)

Preference for high PPI screen: Desktop real estate when you need it, combined with OpenGL-accelerated magnifier (Linux+compiz) when things turn out too small has proved very convenient with my previous notebook. Light weight and smaller than 13" size is a must have feature for frequent airline travel. Netbooks have too small a keyboard and too little screen real estate, leaving ~12" as a sweet spot for my usage case.

X200s with Premium Screen 4  1920x1200

The productivity improvement that comes with a higher resolution screen easily justifies the extra $150. X301 doesn't come with a dock but is more expensive. The performance of a T400 is only slightly better than a X200s but at a cost to weight and battery life. W500 is not portable.

Lenovo x200 Tablet with Premium Screen 4  NO MULTITOUCH

I'd like to have a good business tablet with good display. That's very important feature for me. I'm ready to pay extra for this.

T400 Premium Screen 4 with a 4:3 ratio.

I choose a different one  because all of them are wide-screen and that makes the laptop too big. I prefer a 4:3 screen.

MacBook Pro

until ThinkPad build quality equals the T4X models.

ThinkPad T60p with UXGA IPS

Because of acceptable display quality. TN panels are horrible crap suitable for cheap models only.

13.3" ThinkPad that is more consumer priced [than X301] while having the same ThinkPad quality (not SL300).

A 13.3" is imo the perfect size for portability and usablility. One can get a low end discrete card in this form but moreover hopefully gain a high end integrated card.

ThinkPad SL400

Better Features  Cheaper cost (but still with many extras)  good looking laptop.

ThinkPad SL500

High quality  cheap

ThinkPad X61

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE SCREEN AND HATE WIDE SCREEN.

ThinkPad T60 series

Better build

Axiotron ModBook Pro or Apple Macbook Pro

Have had success with orignal Axiotron ModBook, stylus allows direct and more accurate tablet-based photo editing and graphic design/digital painting.

Lenovo X61 Tablet

I presently own this laptop and I like it very very much.

ThinkPad T61 with a 14.1" standard aspect ratio (4:3) screen

I like the combination of sufficient screen height and acceptable weight.

Ideapad y550

Best cost to price ratio. [Ed: Less expensive?]

Dell 4200, 4300 or XPS 1330 over X301 Prem 3 1680x1050

I chose Dell because they have better service  and their Latitudes (small business line in general) are generally well made and sturdy.

T61 with 1600x1200 screen and Core 2 Duo or quad processor.

Because of overall better compatibility with my preferred OS.

13.3" ThinkPad with weight 3.7 - 4.0 lb and price near that of T400

[X301 cost is far too high.] Too many competitors offer lightweight computers with comparable specs (if not for the screen). While a premium screen is nice for everyday use, most business use is done either hooked up to a monitor on-site or via projection when off-site. The lowest screen specs are standard for the 13.3 size, and since it will only be directly used at home or during travel my money is better spent on portability.

tablet with wide viewing angle

I have a W500 with the highest configuration already. I want a smaller one that I can travel with. I would like the laptops to be built with better materials.

T400s 14.1" 1440x900

Best balance of weight, size, and resolution.

ThinkPad T400s

Because it is the perfect combination between T400 and X301.

Ultraportable with 12" screen, 4:3 aspect ratio, 1440x1080.

I prefer small laptops, but with reasonable screen resolution.

I would base my choice on the availability of open-source Linux video drivers.

Binary Linux drivers are a support nightmare. I would not buy a laptop with an NVidia video card. I would buy a laptop with Intel video. I might risk a laptop with ATI video; I would check the Internet for the state of the open-source drivers for that particular card.

Dell Latitude or XPS.

Quality, support, nVidia GPU, high resolution LCD.

MacBook Pro 17" unibody.

Might as well go with the Mac, since the all-important IPS FlexView screen option wasn't there.

ThinkPad T400s.

New technology, new docking station supporting two display port screens.

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-29 11:49 AM
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Re: Survey Question 8 Results p 3: Reasons for Choosing ThinkPad X301

[ Edited ]

Question 8:

Results:

Choices other than X301

X301 Base: 1280x800 1.0MP 113ppi, $2250

Small, suitable, affordable, fast enough, long run.

Lightest weight.

Portability.

Small overall laptop size is the overriding concern, so I chose the 13" screen first. After that, higher resolution just makes things smaller.

X301 Premium 1: 1280x800 1.0MP 113ppi, $2300

Very good portability and long battery life.

Lightweight with a nice screen. Any higher resolution would be overkill on a 13.3" screen though.

Good compromise of weight, size, and price.

~720p resolution is a good match for a 13" screen.

X301 has the best form-factor.

X301 Premium 2: 1440x900 1.3MP 128ppi, $2330

Lightweight model 1440*900 is the perfect resolution for a 13.3" screen.

Highest resolution I can stand on a 13.3".

Love X-Series and 1440x900 is a very good compromise between high resolution and readability.

Unfortunately there wasn't spec which is for me the best so I choose model with spec closer to my preferences: screen 13.3, light, webcam, dvd-burner, Intel wifi. However X301 has few cons: proc( too slow ), 1.8 SSD (too expensive and not 2.5  size), no discrete GPU, no HDMI. But I still love ThinkPad X301.

Perfect size, weight, high resolution / screen size ratio.

Weight and battery life are most important, but 1440x900 (or preferably 1440x1050) is essential too.

Portable computers should be lightweight because some of us must carry our laptops on public transportation to and from work.

Weight and screen.

Portability.

Light weight, decent screen resolution- would prefer 1050 vertical resolution though.

Best of selection offered - but would prefer something X61s size.

Light and light and light! Mobility is Number 1.

Very light and powerful, but lack of long life battery. 13 inch with high res will help a lot with my work.

Want the thinnest, lightest model; don't really care about the screen.

It's small but has the necessary screen real-estate. A 4:3 aspect ratio would have been better. Higher resolution would be nice in theory, but it probably implies too high an extra cost and also a higher power consumption.

I always tend to buy the smallest laptop available, with the best resolution for the given screen size that still allows for best reading experience. As I'm always buying the higher quality laptops which last 3+ years, price is secondary to me.

Size, weight, minimum screen width.

127 or so PPI is the max I can comfortably use.

I would actually prefer a lighter laptop, the X200S.

Small.

Light.

13" is big enough screen for me.

Lightweight.

Ideal screen size for my use: not daily work, but mobile use.

Size of laptop means has to be X series.

Too many pixels tends to be hindrance as software isn't designed to use them.

Screen quality is essential. S-IPS or any technology close to it (PVA) is better than the crap TN on my X200.

X301 Premium 3: 1680x1050 1.8MP 149ppi, $2360

It is the smallest and most portable one! But it is not the best because the display ratio is not 4:3!!!

Because a high DPI on a 13.3" model fits well to my requirements.

I like small and light laptops with good displays. I would have gone with an X200 variant, but it wasn't listed. High resolution is also a plus.

Because the small form factor but still a high resolution is what I want in a business laptop.

Combination of light weight, fast performance, excellent screen quality.

Powerful, small, lightweight, screen resolution like in my external monitor.

I guess I'm not 100% sure. This isn't the quickest of questionnaires. I like a high-quality screen, but the size of the screen is what put me off. Graphic speed is very important, then display, then weight, then price.

Have used SXGA+ for so long, 1050 vertical is a MUST for me.

High resolution, low weight, small size, maximum integration.

I need something portable and reliable with a good screen.

More portability than all other models.

More lightweight.

Useful screen resolution.

Non-reflective screen.

Small size & weight.

Vertical resolution.

Would much prefer a 4:3 [aspect ratio display] for business. 16:10 [displays] are really not meant for business, but for the popular home markets.

Small.

[1920x1200] resolution would be overkill for this size. Using an x200s atm and 1440 on a 12" is perfect.

Fitness for my usage.

I want as much resolution as possible, but 1920x1200 on a 13" display would strain my eyes. I could easily get used to 1680x1050.

Since I need to carry it around a lot, I want my next laptop to be lighter and smaller than my current 14" T61.

However, I still would like a nice, high resolution screen. But I think 1920 x 1200 is too much for a 13".

Screen resolution.

I love the 15" UXGA FlexView screen of my T42p. I would choose now a smaller laptop with about the same PPI. If those offers were real, I would spend some time to think about even buying the 170ppi one. I'm using Linux only, where there are no problems with small fonts / icons / whatever, so high PPI would only have advantages.

[Might] need more processing power.

X301 Premium 4: 1920x1200 2.3MP 170ppi, $2390

The choice between the X301 and the T400 would be tough but given the fact that weight and battery life is a key issue, I would most likely choose the X301. One drawback is that the DVD drive cannot be replaced with an extra hard drive bay as with the T400, so the $990: T400 with Premium Screen 4  1920x1200  2.3MP  161ppi would still be an option (currently working on a T60 model).

Small size.

Light weight + High resolution screen.

Lightest weight, best screen.

I am a fan of the X301. Lightest and best quality screen.

Low weight, greatest flexibility in screen resolution.

Lighter, with higher screen resolution for not much extra cost.

Vertical pixel number + small size/weight.

I want the best possible laptop under 5lbs.

Weight and Size, decent screen resolution.

It has the highest pixel density and would be light weight.

Battery life, though it's still woefully inadequate.

Best resolution.

I must have an ultraportable laptop with a great screen. The screen and keyboard of greatest importance since they are in fact represent the interactions that we have with computers.

Low weight makes it more useful as a mobile device. Significantly improved resolution & useful premium feature set at a small percentage increase to cost.

Weight, display resolution.

Overall form factor, best screen resolution.

Weight.

Resolution versus size is crucial for my work. (I didn't even know it was possible.) However, I'd rather have a 4:3 format.

Light weight, small in size, and good quality of graphics.

Because of the screen (if it really has wide viewing angles, i.e. IPS/*VA display instead of TN), light weight, long battery life, and an acceptable screen size.

Size, battery life, quality.

Small form factor with great resolution.

Light weight.

Most portable, highest resolution, hopefully IPS / FlexView as well.

Small, best portability, good CPU. I love the durability of Lenovo laptops.

[If] adding only $140 will get me a better screen, why not? I mean, I'm willing to spend more than $2000 for the laptop, what's another $140? I might as well get the best of it, [rather] than having to regret it later down the road.

It best meets my needs of size and abilities.

Weight.

Although battery life sucks somewhat on the X30x series.

Would still prefer an X200s, currently.

Size.

Size and weight (although 13" is a little on the large side too - where are the X200 series in this survey? :smileyhappy: )

[Resolution:] The most important attribute for deciding screen size was the MP, and the cost differential between the base screen and premium 4 was so small relative to the base unit cost as to make it a no-brainer for me.

Very mobile.

[Resolution: can] display a lot of information.

Small size.

Light weight.

X-series.

Medium resolution.

Small.

Lightweight.

Durable.

Battery.

SSD disk.

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-29 11:59 AM
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Re: Survey Question 8 Results p 4: Reasons for Choosing ThinkPad T400

[ Edited ]

Question 8:

Results:

Choices other than T400

T400 Base: 1280x800 1.0MP 107ppi, $850

Prefer 14" over 15".

Monitor less important than internal components.

Cost.

Cheapest, base screen is fine!

Screen size (14").

Low price for business laptop.

Cost.

T400 Premium 1: 1280x800 1.0MP 107ppi, $900

Because of overall price value.

I want a decent screen but I do not want to pay too much for it.

Premium LOW RESOLUTION screen.

It's the cheapest one with a premium screen.

TrackPoint, best compromise of size / power / weight.

Best mix of performance, durability, light weight, screen quality, and value.

Light weight.

Great performance / price ratio.

It has a premium screen with non-reflective surface, and a screen is something you usually can't or don't upgrade later on.

Also it is a pound lighter and has superior battery power management over the T500. If the T500 weighed .3 pounds less and got better battery life, then I would pay a little more and get the T500.

14" screen; no reflection.

T400 Premium 2: 1440x900 1.3MP 120ppi, $930

Good compromise on price and screen. I might even buy one with a smaller screen to make it more portable.  Realistically, I've become a big fan of purchasing reconditioned laptops.

Portability, good processing power.

I dislike too-high DPI as bitmap graphics become too small.

I like a 14" screen, and 1440x900 seems about the right resolution for it.

Screen size.

Because I want a good screen in the 120ppi range, with at least 900 vertical pixels. I would pay $500 extra for a High-Nit WXGA+ screen.

Provides an excellent medium between price and performance. The T400 has excellent portability and enough power to handle most needs.

I need good resolution, and some portability.  However, I'd be highly tempted if they made a ThinkPad T500 with a 1440x900 screen. They don't. I'd have paid extra for a 1440x900 screen for the T61 15" I'm using now, but they didn't make that either. I'm also disappointed that I can currently order a T400 in 1440x900, but I cannot get an LED-backlit screen at that resolution. I would have paid extra for it.

Screen resolution.

Compromise between weight and amount of information on the screen.

Price point and the screen real estate.

14" laptops offer a good balance of size and weight versus usability while not being super expensive like the 13.3" ones.  I would get an upgraded screen if I could afford it because so many laptop screens are terrible -- washed out, with viewing angles that are so poor that there is no angle from which the screen has uniform color. 120ppi - 130ppi provides a good amount of virtual screen real estate while not making me squint.

Good price, fairly portable, not too large or heavy, good screen and battery life, does not compromise on performance as much as a smaller laptop.

Because that "format" (ie. 14", hi-res premium panel, 5 pounds or less) is optimal for a standarized business enviroment. It can be used by almost 80% of users. The rest'll need ultraportables or workstation-class notebooks.

A good compromise among size, weight, performance and price.

Price, size, weight, screen resolution.

Sweet spot as far as resolution / size / weight go. Also better expansion options compared to the X300. The price of the X300 is completely ridiculous compared to the other options (as reflected in the survey, not necessarily real life accurate).  BTW, I feel that the above question did not truly reflect the notion of premium screens having better quality. It was not clear which of the premium screens are expected to be better in terms of the things based above. So I just chose a screen based on the resolution, assuming them all to be of the same quality.

Premium screen, max 14" for portability.

1440x900 is about the best resolution I can tolerate/accept. The T400 has a large enough display and powerful enough cpu while maintaining a relatively lower weight.

I didn't choose X301 because it has a limited battery capacity and sacrifices too much in order to have a thin form factor. The 15 inch laptops are too heavy and big. 14 inch is the best compromise between portability and having a decently sized screen. WXGA+ is the perfect resolution for me although I have to increase the DPI slightly in the operating system but that's acceptable to me.

Best compromise among weight/size, screen size and resolution (fits noticeably more on than a standard screen, but not too small to read all day).

Good size, excellent battery life, any higher resolution would hurt my eyes after a while (used to have a WUXGA screen and things on the screen were just too small). Just a shame it's so ugly.

I find the 14.1" size fits better on planes, tables etc. as well as fitting my venerable but excellent laptop bag. I do not need very high resolution on a laptop and find the higher resolutions much harder to see. If I needed a high resolution monitor, I would use an Eizo on a workstation. I picked the machine that is at the best price point / screen usability for me.

Balanced features.

Screen size, quality, 120 ppi, and weight.

Best overall performance / weight ratio.

Balance between screen size and resolution (beyond 120-130ppi usage starts to suffer, IMHO). I also like to have a screen with a quality generally higher than what's available in base configurations that doesn't break the bank (although steps between configs for the T400 aren't that high.) Other thoughts: For a business laptop, if it wasn't about the price, a 13.3" screen with similar ppi would be ideal.

1440x900 on a 14" is perfect. The QUALITY of the screen is where I would put more money (contrast, colors, brightness, etc.)!

Preference, if cost were less relevant, would be given to the X301 because of its lighter weight and slightly smaller form factor. But price was more important, and the T400 w/ premium screen was the closest to matching most of my requirements.

1440x900 or WXGA+ is the ideal screen size for a 14.1 inch laptop.

Small and light, but with good resolution--without having too-small pixels.

Good size for portability. Decent screen resolution, 1280x800 is just too small [a desktop space].

X301 does not have docking port, and USB solutions don't offer video / power. The convenience of a dock is unbeatable. But I still need some portability, so T400 has to do. For 14", the highest usable resolution for me is 1400x1050; given only widescreen options, then 1440x900. I definitely would pay a premium and then some for a superior screen, my limit would be around $200 more.

Size matters. 14" is usually great, 15" is too big and too heavy to lug around. Smaller, like 12" or 13" is also great, but comes with a heavy price tag, which makes it only worth the price if you travel a LOT.

Finding balance between weight and size of text on screen.

14" laptops provide perfect balance between mobility, power, and comfort of prolonged usage for me. I would buy 14.1" 1680x1050 in no time, but I am not aware of any such screens available from LCD panel manufacturers, so I'm sticking with 1440x900. Color accuracy and viewing angles at the level of decent desktop TN are enough for me. Glossy screen is a deal breaker.

It is optimal for my eyes.

14.1" is good, balanced physical screen size (not too small, not too big). I currently have 1440x900 in my R61 and wouldn't want anything less.

14" screen is appropriate size for mobility, and 1440 resolution is readable by the average employee.

I would have chosen X301 with 1440x900 for purely business application, but I believe for $2000, a laptop has to have discrete graphics. 1440x900 is ideal for the 13"-14" physical screen size.

Much like the T41 I already have, but premium (brighter) screen.

The weight and size have proven the best match for my needs.

I would like something I can use outdoors more.

Higher resolution might be nice, but messing with increasing the size of text would probably be more of a hassle than it is worth. At 58 years old, tiny print is no longer cool.

14-inch: Perfect size for portability and non-workstation productivity.

Premium Screen: Would gladly pay (lots) extra for an excellent LED matte screen with great brightness, vivid and accurate colors, and fantastic viewing angles.

1440x900 Resolution: I like higher resolution than the 1280x800 so commonly found in 14-inch laptops today. Higher than 1440x900 is too much for a 14-inch screen however.

Present state of my eyes... Use of lots of charts / spreadsheets.

Balance:

- good portability

- adequate workspace

- good readability.

Best features / price ratio.

My current T400 is just the right size.

I am however slightly disapointed with the screen, so would pay more for it. Would spend an extra $30 over the other premium screen for the resolution upgrade but would not need anything higher on a 14" screen.

A good balance of:

- low weight.

- good screen [size].

- the largest resolution I could comfortably read... 1680x1050 is a little bit too small to read on a 14" in my opinion.

T400 Premium 3: 1680x1050 1.8MP 141ppi, $960

Size / weight / resolution combination.

Screen quality.

Good balance of high resolution screen with good viewing angles, good power and features, build quality.

I strongly appreciate a good quality screen, but felt 1920x1200 might be too high for a 14” notebook.

Had a T42p 15" IPS 1900x1200, so this resolution would be ideal for a 14".

Perfect balance of screen size and weight v/s performance and mobility.

5 lbs = tolerable weight. 14.1" = Good screen size. 1680x1050 = good resolution (1920x1200 is too small on a 14" screen).

Because I'm balancing between the more expensive vs lower cost. I might even go lower resolution depending on the price.

Unfortunately, I've not seen higher than a 1440x900 resolution in the Thinkpad 14" line, but as I own a 1920x1200 T61p, that would be too high of resolution for the 14". I've owned a 14" T61 that ran 1440x900, and I could probably handle going up 1 more notch.

Size (14" is optimal for me), and resolution is fair.

14" @ 1680x1050: screen size is smallest workable with adequate resolution.

Best compromise among weight, screen size, price and high resolution.

Actually I would buy two: The X301 for travel and T500 for home office use where I'd use the two machines together. I currently use a T60p and an X61 Tablet in this fashion, with the T60p used essentially as a desktop machine, and the X61 as a portable machine and a second desktop machine at my home office. (Like having two displays but better.)

It's a balance among cost, performance, and features.

Price / resolution ratio seems best for given choices.

Small enough to lug, high res enough to use.

Right size, price, resolution combination.

Good balance of screen quality and cost.

Currently own a T400 with 1440x900 screen. The bump up to 1680x1050 would be the perfect combination of screen real estate, portability, and power for me.

T400 because it's a smaller case (14.1"). It's a good compromise between the size and screen resolution. 1920x1200 seems a bit too much for a 14.1" screen.

High quality screen, medium weight, and the price seems to be ok.

The screen resolution is what I need to use in Excel - and any higher my eyes can't handle(!)

Best match of light weight and general use display. Would rather have a 1400x1050 display, but not offered.

Getting older. Can't use the highest resolution displays anymore.

It has a good balance among portability, screen size, and resolution.

Small and light.

High resolution.

The X301 models listed are a bit too expensive, so I chose the next bigger model. (But if budget allowed, I'd still consider the X301.)

1680x1050 seems to be the largest reasonable screen resolution on 14.1". Perhaps I'd even go with 1440x900, but at $30 difference, I chose the higher resolution.

Size.

Performance.

Features.

Smaller size.

Camera.

Good PPI.

Good for programming environment and conference calls.

Best size to cost ratio.

Good resolution for the screen size.

Readable but still relatively high resolution.

14" machine is not too small or big to replace desktop completely and still be carried with me all the time. 13" is too small and 15" is too big.

Size.

Screen [resolution].

Balance of:

- portability

- screen resolution [and size].

T400 Premium 4: 1920x1200 2.3MP 161ppi, $990

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-29 12:01 PM
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Re: Survey Question 8 Results p 6: Reasons for Choosing ThinkPad T500

[ Edited ]

Question 8:

Results:

Choices other than T500

T500 Base 1280x800 1.0MP 98ppi, $900

Large screen but still 4/3 ratio. [Ed: it's actually 16:10]

I operate docked 99% of the time.

T500 Premium 1: 1280x800 1.0MP 98ppi, $950

I want bitmapped text to be large enough, don't mind carrying some extra weight.

Big screen, but not terribly heavy, and not too expensive. 1280x800 is high enough resolution for me!

Price. Screen size. I like T-series.

I own it.

I use an old low-res 1024 by 768 laptop frequently, and I don't really need resolution. I chose the T500 because of the ATI HD 3650 graphics. The W500, although equipped with better graphics, is pricey, and the cheaper T400's ATI 3470 is a bit poor. The T500 is a good mix between price and performance. I would prefer the T400's smaller size over the T500 though. The X301 is a bit small, and very expensive for comparatively poor performance.

Because I cannot find a new T42.

Screen resolution (1280x800 is most readable at 15.4").

Discrete graphics chip.

T500 Premium 2: 1440x900 1.3MP 110ppi, $980

Biggest display.

Cost, screen resolution.

IPS Screen.

Quite cheap, display perfect.

15.4" screen. 1440x900.

Price, screen size, performance.

I wanted a premium screen but with a native resolution of 1400x900 in order to be able to read text with ease. 1400x900 is most reasonable for a 15" display. 1280x800 is just too small of a resolution. Any bigger than 1400x900 will just make text incredibly hard to read. Adjusting the text size has a disadvantage: loss in quality.

Perfect size for a day of work and play (weight, screen, keyboard, etc).

1440x900 is my preferred resulution for ~15" screens.

QUALITY screen is crucial.

It is a hard-working machine.

Screen size, resolution, price.

Cost, screen.

I have a T60 that is quite adequate for my needs. The T500 is the closest to that system.

Big screen is important to me (personally). Reasonable resolution is worth having too.

Want switchable graphics of T500 and medium resolution because it's a widescreen display (BRING BACK 4:3).

Value for money.

15.4 in. screen.

Modest yet fast enough hardware.

T500 Premium 3: 1680x1050 1.8MP 129ppi, $1010

Because widescreen makes the smaller displays really *useless*, and only someone who never had IPS would ever tolerate the ["stuff"] they sell nowadays for "base screen".

I have a T500 with the 1680x1050 resolution. I like the display, but it could be brighter for better working outside.

Screen resolution.

Graphics performance and great battery life in one semi-portable package.

The 1680*1050 resolution, 15.4" screen, reasonable price tag.

Large screen, as I am getting older small fonts are difficult to read. Relatively good vertical height.

Good screen with good resolution but ppi not too high as to become difficult for some people.

Although I wish it had LED, 1680x1050 is the best resolution for 15.4 inch screens. Also matte screens are a must because I wear glasses (glossy screens cause wicked bad glare). I need the discrete graphics (preferably switchable). HOWEVER PLEASE KEEP THE 16X10 ASPECT RATIO SCREENS. Note: In reality I bought a similarly equipped T500. Came with a nice LG screen too.

Large screen, high resolution.

I've got the same and I love it. :smileyvery-happy:

My W500 has been a total disaster, it is a piece of junk to me. T500 might be better. Top resolution screen is hard to read on a 15.4" screen; save that for 17" screen.

Size, price, durability, best combo of resolution and size.

Matches currently owned, and much loved.

Prefer a larger screen but do not need the power of a work station.

* ThinkPad X301: My experience with 13.3" is that I can't work with them for long sessions (screen and keyboard too small).

* ThinkPad W500: I don't need a graphics workstation.

* ThinkPad T400: 14.1" laptops tend to overheat with too-powerful components (especially GPU). If that wouldn't be a problem I'd have chosen the version with Premium Screen 2 - because 141ppi is too high and 800 vertical pixels is not enough (and I don't like to rely on the quality of the OS font renderer).

-> So it's the T500 with Premium Screen 3. Perfect resolution, not too heavy.

Powerful, usable high resolution. High color fidelity and LED back light are most important.

Like lots of screen real estate.

Screen resolution.

Screen real estate is crucial. The laptop is my one and only machine, and needs to be fast and easy to work with all day long.

I don't carry my laptop often. For portability I'd get the $2330 X301 with Premium Screen 2  1440x900  1.3MP  128ppi, or a cheaper culv laptop with a MATTE screen.

I like T series build quality, and large screen with 1680x1050 resolution.

Preferred screen resolution vs. weight vs. price.

I like the bigger screen as well as the resolution. Until there's an X series with the big screen, I'm willing to trade a pound for the bigger screen.

Any higher resolution would be too small to read. 1680x1050 is perfect for a 15.4" notebook.

Optimal screen PPI.

High screen resolution, as my current one has. Don't want to go below!

Large screen.

Good resolution.

Another option would have been a more portable tablet, as 2nd choice.

I want a large screen and a decent resolution.

Acceptable resolution for specified screen size.

Discrete graphics.

I chose the T500 over the W500 because of identical specifications but the T500 weighs less.

I chose the Premium Screen 3 because I have seen 1920x1200 (Premium Screen 4) screens in real life and these ultra-high density screens are best used in smartphones, IMHO. Premium Screens 1 & 2 don't offer enough screen real estate.

T500 Premium 4: 1920x1200 2.3MP 147ppi, $1040

Screen size, resolution, cost, in that order.

Can replace my current ThinkPad, and has non-reflective surface.

1920x1200 on a 14" would be too small fonts with 9 consoles I guess, so I'll stick with the 15" one. But that must be seen in real life.

Screen size and quality gives the ability to work most of the time without an external screen.

Screen resolution (I need area to work).

Non-glossy screen with high resolution (pixels) is essential for me. More CPU power (workstation: W500, premium screen 4) would be the alternative. It costs money and battery time, brings weight - cannot choose that without exact specs.

14" is small, 15" is best. High resolution: I can set DPI, so text and icons are nice (not too small). Good price (already bought notebook for much more money).

For a small screen, portability is helpful. For a 17" screen, would choose the heavier machine with more processing power - it's worth the weight.

A good screen is very important. One of my critical comments for the MacBook is the bad glossy screen. Ok, some web designer did not realize there are screens with higher resolution.

Screen.

High resolution and light weight are hugely important, but less than a 15.4 inch screen limits usefulness to me. I'd prefer a 17" MacBook Pro to any of them.

I choose the T500 because of the hybrid graphics. I would upgrade to a 9-cell battery, and order more RAM through a different online seller (for a total of at least 3GB).

Good balance between price and features.

It depends on what I need to use the laptop for. If I were to purchase a new one now, I would purchase the biggest screen I can. I already have a 12 inch laptop.

Screen size, power. Hopefully ThinkPads are still durable machines like [during] the IBM era.

Closest to my current laptop.

The T500 is very similar in dimensions and weight to my 15" T42, which is my current workhorse. A notebook in this size range with better performance and a WUXGA screen would be great; one with IPS would just be the icing on the cake.

Photographer... Graphics quality is a must!

15+ inch screen with 1920x1200 resolution. I need a lot of screen real-estate.

Big screen of best quality.

I have owned a T40 with standard TN panel. It was ok. I then discovered desktop LCDs with IPS and learned how great it was. When I was buying a T42, and later on a T60, I looked specifically for IPS panels. As of this moment I am typing on a T60 with a 15" high res IPS panel.

High resolution. I originally went for the T500 with Premium Screen 3 but for an additional $30 could get an additional 0.5 MP of screen real estate. Having more than 1024 vertical pixels is important. In an office, 17-19 inch displays are commonly used and they have 1024 or more vertical pixels. A mobile work station should meet or exceed this so I can maintain productivity.

Do not need [more] graphics capability, most powerful with best screen.

The screen size & resolution are the perfect upgrade for the 15" ThinkPad I currently own.

I like a large display, so this brings it down to the T500 or W500. Of those two I chose the T500 because of the hybrid graphics card. (I don't need a fast graphical card all of the time.) Then finally I decided to not go with the basic screen because for my graphical work I like a good quality of colors and a high resolution, to see detail and color-differences.

Lightweight; good graphics; decent battery life.

Best screen.

It has low-ish weight, combined with a good screen.

The better screen and higher resolution makes using it much easier than smaller screens and lower resolutions. I can't tell enough difference at this point between the T and W models to justify the difference in cost, though if the reason [the W500] is heavier is that it is more durable then that would influence my decision. (I have experience with the T's but not the W's).

Need 15.4" high-resolution screen. Might consider the W500 but it would need to have a lot of valuable extras versus the T500 to make the 33% incremental cost justifiable.

I picked the largest, highest-resolution screen, then selected for the lowest price. If I knew that the W500 had a brighter screen than the T500, then I would have picked that.

Best cost-to-performance ratio, switchable graphics, and light weight for the size.

Minimum acceptable screen size c/w maximum resolution but with good portability and (crucially) robust build quality -  if finances were sufficient I'd like a Nextbook 17i from NextComputing: now THAT'S robust!

Want the best viewing screen without straining my eyes, i.e 15 inch hi-res.

Don't see any advantage worth $350 extra for the W series.

1. Screen resolution.

2. Screen size.

3. Weight.

Highest resolution with the largest screen. Allows the most multiple tasks to be simultaneously viewable & still readable.

Bang-for-buck tradeoff.

I own a T61p with 1920x1200, the T500 seems to be the logical upgrade.

Resolution is critical--and 13 or 14 inch is too small for 1920x1200.

Meets my needs.

ThinkPad quality (keyboard, chassis, etc.).

Screen resolution is vital. Days of my life are spent in front of this screen. It is like a good pair of eye glasses: I don't buy them cheap, and I would like the same opportunity to be careful with my screen.

1920 X 1200 screen.

High resolution.

Screen size.

Moveability is more important to me than portability, and my apps are power hungry. Although I may also be buying a T400s at my next upgrade.

Higher PPI has only advantages.

However, I would prefer a high res 4:3 panel (>1600x1200) that was not offered.

Photographic use.

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-29 12:08 PM
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Re: Survey Question 8 Results p 7: Reasons for Choosing ThinkPad W500

[ Edited ]

Question 8:

Results:

Choices other than W500

W500 Base 1280x800 1.0MP 98ppi, $1250

For a given screen size, I always choose the lowest native resolution, for better readability. The other premium features aren't terribly meaningful to me.

Cost.

W500 Premium 1: 1280x800 1.0MP 98ppi, $1300

Premium screen.

Resolution.

Price / weight. 5.0lb is still quite heavy. Prefer X301, but not at 2x the price.

W500 Premium 2: 1440x900 1.3MP 110ppi, $1330

I don't like small screens. And I prefer [powerful] graphics cards.

TP W500 is the best laptop for the price that includes a graphics card supported by SolidWorks. 1440x900 is the minimum I would ever go when looking for a laptop.

My ability to see that resolution without having to view peculiarly scaled web sites.

W500 Premium 3: 1680x1050 1.8MP 129ppi, $1360

Portable graphics power, portability, build quality, screen quality, resolution, size/power ratio.

Closest to my T61p that I ADORE.

Because, in my experience, on models with screen smaller than 14.1" there is very little use for a 1680x1050 screen, because numbers and letters are too small. On bigger models higher resolution can be good and provide more real estate, especially for arranging presentations and graphical interfacing.

I have a new W500 and 147ppi is just too much. Since increasing the global font sizes (switching Windows to "large characters" mode or running Linux with more than X -dpi 100) does not work nicely, I'd go for less resolution. The external digital video output should (of course) run larger resolutions, 1920x1200 is pretty good.  What I mean by "large characters don't work": missing fonts, so seeing bad substitutes; misaligned labels; missing labels; giant buttons; cropped fonts in too-small boxes; etc.

Resolution.

Replacement for desktop computer, requirement for portability less important than performance.

Good for photo editing and graphic design, that's what I need. Not too heavy also.

It is the laptop that I am using now, and I am very satisfied with it.

I want a business-class laptop that has good enough video to be decent at games. 1680x1050 is a sharp resolution for a 15 inch screen. [At] 1920x1200 you need a 19 inch monitor to read the text.

I need powerful machine, and have been using SXGA+ res for 10 years now.

High resolution screen and 16:10 aspect ratio.

Using the laptop the whole day long as a desktop requires a good and wide screen.

W500 Premium 4: 1920x1200 2.3MP 147ppi, $1390

I've had a TP42p and now run a T61p. This is the logical next step.

Perfect compromise between size and performance. Resolution is ideal for my type of work.

High res display, maximum graphics capability.

CAD techs need workstation cards, and the resolution is nice too. Plus there were no 17in options.

I am used to my ThinkPad T43p with 1600x1200 15.4" screen, and I believe that this is currently closest to what I use.

Resolution and quality. I was concerned over the reduction in famous IBM keyboard quality. The only review that did not specifically mention the keyboard quality was for rht W500 - even there, the review was for a pre-production released Notebook. The hope was that this is resolved in the production model. The 2 most important features for the laptop  particularly considering its usage are the quality of the screen and the quality of the keyboard. Those 2 parts are by far the most important aspects, as those are what you use for any usage. Whether typing a simple document or developing software, the keyboard and screen are the most important. The weight is not all that bad, either.

Graphics workstation, highest resolution screen.

Fits my needs, and I would love to get an IPS screen again.

The ThinkPad usually has a good design: silent, thinklight, etc. And a screen you can cram a lot of text on is a must when developing applications.

Because I often use it for imaging, and I need to compare texts.

Best screen I can get; W500 is closest to the T60p I'm writing this with.

High res screen, full size keyboard, high performance graphics.

Higher end machines should have better screens - they will be used longer before upgrade.

Screen size and durable.

I like lots of pixels so I can view lots of things at once on the screen. My laptop mainly sits on my desk at home, so weight is not an issue.

Screen size. The only reason I didn't order a T500/W500 15" today is that the screen isn't bright enough. The W700 is OK  but the offset keyboard shows that it wasn't designed for writers, programmers or other information producers. BTW the way the questions are structured, I can't specify the screen format I want [4:3, 13" minimum, 300 nit minimum].

Screen resolution and quality.

I like the best/highest features. This one had the best features out of the list. My current laptop (the one I'm typing on now) is a 17" Dell Precision m6400 with a QX9300 processor, 1920x1200 RGB-LED screen, 8GB DDR3 RAM (4 DIMMS), NVIDIA QUADRO 2700m, backlit keyboard, 3 button touchpad + additional 3 buttons for the tracking point, plus 3 year next business day accidental warranty for USD$2400. Granted, I bought it in the Dell Outlet with a 20% discount (you call them up and ask for one  plus there was a coupon the previous week). And, also granted, the laptop I got from the Dell Outlet originally died, but they offered me a replacement (covered under warranty). My replacement is new and not refurbished!

It is one of the laptops I considered. I prefer Dell Precision M4400 with 1920x1200 RGB LED screen, but it was not available in the options.

Quality - would pay even more for a 4:3 FlexView / IPS screen.

I love it.

Must have 1920x1200 resolution and magnesium alloy lid.

High end screen, performance.

Portable workstation with great resolution. Needs a very high nit screen and integrated color calibration, though.

Because I love hi-resolution screens. That, and I prefer big laptops.

Because the W510 is not available yet (need more processing & graphics power than W500).

I would LIKE to buy either a T500 or W500 or even the W700, but NOT with those crappy TN LCD panels. I want IPS.

This is in our product line currently.

For presentation purposes. I use 2 laptops for business: a large screen for presentations, and  a smaller screen for communication, e-mail, etc. A netbook with great graphics and a TrackPoint mouse would be my second choice. While a 13" screen is small enough, if I had the choice I would choose a smaller screen. If given a choice of a smaller screen, or a 13" screen with a TrackPoint, I would probably choose the 13" screen with the TrackPoint.

PPI is very important.

Need screen real estate. But I can't carry a laptop bigger than 15.4" widescreen.

Graphics are suitable for engineering.

Higher resolution allows greater productivity.

I sorely miss IPS. Well, sort of. My trusted T60p has Super IPS w/AFFS (Advanced Frag Field Shielding) [Ed: :smileyvery-happy: "Advanced Fringe Field Switching" is the official BOE Hydis name], and I am upset that I cannot purchase ThinkPads with the IPS screens anymore. [My reasons for choosing the UXGA W500] are simple: high resolution, and big screen! I realize [laptops] are now mostly 16:9 because of popular demand, and this will be my first. [Ed: W500 is 16:10.] My 4:3 models have always been either 15" UXGA [or] 14.1" SXGA+.

Screen.

Need a machine with good battery life.

Hi-res widescreen display is also very important.

Weight is something I can compromise on more to gain these other features.

Resolution.

Resolution.

Highest screen resolution. Unsure of the differences between T500 and W500 model, but want maximum internal and external resolution simultaneously - assuming T500 doesn't offer that.

High resolution screen.

Fastest proc.

Largest screen.

Highest resolution.

Display type.

Resolution.

Features.

Multi-screen high-res operation has become increasingly important to the multi-tasking [dual-head] operation for my laptop / workstation. This laptop optimized these features.

Fastest processor.

Best screen (highest resolution) although I would prefer a bigger screen than 15.4".

Mobile workstation needs a very good screen.

I want / need a workstation-class laptop with optimum performance. Could possibly use T500 but would choose W500 in preference.

Would also consider 1680x1050 resolution but like having the extra resolution as long as text is readable.

Laptop to be used for running VMware Workstation with SAP VMs that use 4GB-8GB of memory.

Although my laptop is used primarily for communication, documents, etc., I am also a photographer and need a means to work on my digital photos while traveling. This is the best machine for that purpose, even if it is on the heavy side.

Strongest base model.

High end workstation-class with premium screen.

Graphics power.

I like the W500 system.

X301 are sluggish; I want 2.8 GHz.

Outstanding screen quality.

Screen resolution.

Screen size.

Desktop replacement.

Largest viewing screen.

Highest PPI.

Based on what was listed, the screen size and high resolution is very important.

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-29 12:11 PM
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Survey Question 10 Results: Other Comments / Thoughts about Selecting a Business-Class Laptop, p 2

[ Edited ]

Question 10:

Any other comments or thoughts about selecting a business-class laptop?

Results Page 1

Results Page 2:

The display on a high cost/quality notebook should be much higher resolution than anything I have ever seen available.  It should be at least 300 pixels/inch if not 600.  Then text and graphics would be displayed well without the use of anti-aliasing and other software crutches that attempt to fool the eye into believing that it is viewing a high quality image.  Laptops should be operable in temperatures higher than the normal 95 F (I live in Arizona and it gets hot here).

Solid State Drives are too much of a novelty that adds little beyond excessive cost. Build quality and durability are important. A bright screen and the flexview display are preferred.

Must run Linux (Fedora) without problems.

Must be a 3 spindle machine; HDD, FDD bay, CDROM/DVD RW, to allow running dual HDDs while maintaining a CD/DVD drive. Would also have a standard serial port in rear, ethernet, modem, at least 3 USB ports. Banish any touchpad mouse device from the real estate. Have user replaceable components/parts.

I marked the first question as "zero" because I bought no machines at all last year, waiting and hoping that Lenovo would bring out a new machine with a decent display. The year before I bought three ThinkPads: [T60p, X60 tablet, X61 tablet]. All three have IPS or equivalent.

Windows 7 when it comes out is fine.

Durability excels over cheap consumer laptops.

LED lit display. 4:3 ratio gives a better volume to size ratio. It's that simple. 16:9 ratio is an aberration.

The current ThinkPad is good enough.

A laptop has to have good quality and a company that really stands behind it with a good warranty.  Minimize failures but fix them quickly when they happen.

Keep the good quality traditional thinkpad keyboard.

The T40P, T60P, T61P were close to perfect. Does EVERYBODY really need or want wide-screen notebooks these days? Do the panel makers work only with entertainment / TV / movie in mind? I would love to see a T62slim, if you know what I mean. (Today, I would have a hard time choosing between the X301 and the new T400S.)

Durability and connectivity are king. And if it doesn't have a docking connector then forget it.

I wish Lenovo's excellent programs were supported under Ubuntu. The on-board help features and programs provided by Lenovo are very attractive to a potential Windows customer.

The main requirements are:

1) Great screen;

2) Mobile laptop (not one of those 10lbs 17" mobile workstations with a half hour of battery life).

Please make the screen better!

I would like to have a no-OS option, but have a driver/utilities CD for multiple OS support. Linux support is crucial. Long battery life is important and having an extended battery that doesn't change the height is also important.

IBM was the best. Lenovo would do well to keep that reputation alive with Quality and unmatched Service and support. IN AMERICAN ENGLISH.

Recognize there is no one-size-fits-all laptop. We buy different ones for different purposes. However they all share some key attributes: good keyboards, tough and durable, reliable, good/fast warranty service.

TEST THEM. They need to work out of the  box. Business people do not have time for all the updates that Lenovo publishes. Make them work BEFORE you sell them.

(As a consumer, rather than a business): When buying a business class laptop there is very little tolerance for small faults. Given the price premium, absolute perfection is expected.

The camera, if there is one installed, should be a high-quality one with a good zoom feature. The Carl Zeiss ones that are in use on some of the Sony Ericsson phones are quite good quality.

Should be able to have two internal drives. Need an external enclosure that can hold HDD and DVD drives, so user can easily and quickly configure for internal SSD plus internal DVD and External HDD or 2 internal HDDs and external DVD.

Every laptop I have came with some version of Windows preinstalled. I shrunk the Windows partitions and then installed Linux (Fedora) and eCS (OS/2). So at boot time I can choose which OS to run (I mainly use eCS). The latest laptop I got (a W500) came with Vista (which was a mistake). Since I have not gotten eCS to support the full screen resolutions, nor the switchable graphics, I  am not impressed with those features. I will look into using virtual machines as a way to run all 3 OSes at the same time (which would help me with my work).

Solid build. No flashy things. I think it's all about hardware and design. Since software can be changed any time, that's not truly a factor to buy.

Hope this can change the situation with the ThinkPads production. It is going worse and worse, no more reliability even if one pays over 1500euro for a PROFESSIONAL notebook. How these guys want to make business.......?? I do not understand it. But Lenovo is not IBM. Other values I smell!

Performance and quality in all parts is paramount.

Yup. I need two very different laptops. One that is more-or-less a portable desktop (which is what I'm looking for right now, without success); and a second "slip into the bag" machine of around 3lbs or less. I can't find a reasonable portable desktop right now - i.e. with 15" or larger 4:3 display (my job is to produce information, not to watch DVDs) and a 300+ nit display (sometimes I work in brightly lit areas or outdoors). For the "slip into the bag" machine, the X200 would be OK  except for the screen size. So I'll probably get an X301 from Los Alamos, who will ship with Debian.

As a web developer, I need to be able to run multiple VMs on my laptop. I do some graphic design, but the majority of my time is spent with hands on keyboard, editing text files in Vim and working on the shell. I prefer a lightweight X windows environment instead of Gnome or KDE.

Clean setup, high security settings, and non-commercial advice.

Keyboard, touchpad/trackpoint, and display are the most important interfaces between laptop and user. For me it's not enough to lay the focus on only two of those interfaces. A good display is not something that's only needed to watch DVDs.

Bags! There has to be something better for large laptop owners who take their expensive laptops places - to work and school. And, that includes better for my back. I am a small female. I do not want to take my laptop places in a totebag and  hurt my shoulders and back.

Solid - no squeaking or flexing. Powerful platform (Calpella, DDR3, Core i7). Future proof for 3 years. eSATA, DisplayPort or HDMI. USB 3. Good docking station. Cool operation. Subtle, monolithic design.

Must have eSATA port, USB ports, LED powered screen, and UltraBay.

For [pre-installed OS], although I would take mine with Windows, I think more platforms & associated support should be offered. Or at least have the option to configure the laptop without Windows (no OS).

Any business-class laptop should had the following characteristics (order may differ as what's important is the whole list):

- Excellent build quality (I would still put that one first);

- Not too heavy, not too big either;

- TrackPoint or a similar tracking device (Lenovo, Dell, and HP know it: a touch pad isn't too efficient and a USB mouse is not always an option);

- Docking port;

- VGA, or digital video out with adapters for VGA support;

- Plenty of ports and connectivity options (WWAN, WiMAX, though these can added later).

Much prefer more vertical screen space, for reading source code, editing documents, etc. If I want to watch a movie I do it on TV.

24 hour or less turnaround time of hardware warranty repair, preferably on-site.  Phone support for troubleshooting for the life of the device, not just warranty period.

Emphasis on reliability, portability, and low noise. SSD option should be made available. Would be willing to pay extra for non-TN screen.

Displays are incredibly important. This is the primary interface with the machine. I weight display quality very highly when considering any computer purchase for this reason. Also, battery life is important. Some newer display types (LED backlight) provide long battery life and quality displays and should be standard for business class laptops.

Weight, durability, price, and good switchable graphics are my main criteria for selecting a business-class laptop. Screen should be bright, with good color, but too high a resolution will result in too-small text and it's not preferable.

MATTE SCREEN OR NO SCREEN AT ALL!

Would like to have graphics card / chipset that allows the laptop to drive multiple large external monitors.

- Docking station is mandatory.

- Screen quality is very important.

- It must be very quiet.

- Build quality is very important.

- The lighter, the better.

- It must have a dvd writer.

I don't care about business machines. I don't do business on them. I like them because they are high peformance machines.

Reliability.

The ThinkPad line means quality, which is why [some] people only buy these machines--that is, price is a secondary concern for these hardcore ThinkPad users. However, for the general market price is the most important consideration. Thus, Lenovo has to cater for both customer groups. I would make some limited number of some high-end machines with 4:3 screens and FlexView / IPS technology and see how they sell. These will be  boutique machines for the hardcore ThinkPad users. Once sold out, refresh the internals (CPU / Graphics / Hard drive) and market. Keep the same screen and shell to keep the profitability viable. Think of the marketing advantage this will give you.

MATTE screen is a must.

I put a lot of thought into my purchase of a W500. So far, although I've hit a few snags, I have been extremely satisfied.

Once again: IPS, Hi-res LED screen, faster CPU, more options for customization (i.e. I can't select 320GB/7200rpm for all models even though it's compatible with any of them), Intel SSD, DVI!!! and i7 ASAP. Based on my experience, most people in IT will use XP Pro and are mad when they are asked to pay more for switching from Vista to XP, as Vista didn't prove to be good enough for the enterprise. On the other hand, there should be an option of having no OS for those who prefer a Linux distro, in which case whichever you would offer, there would always be someone who doesn't like any of them and would install something else. But those guys know how to do it anyway, so in best case, Ubuntu-like distro for nix beginners would be enough.

Price is a huge factor these days. I have seen more use of consumer laptops to offset the cost of business laptops, especially when there is a consumer option available at a fraction of the price. Yes, build quality is sacrificed, but something must be sacrificed when every fiscal decision must be justified. I am currently shopping for a light laptop, and while I might prefer Lenovo over competitors in terms of quality, the fact that there are new $650 4.0lbs 13.3" business laptops being offered by other companies makes it hard to justify paying double the price. I have yet to decide whether to go the consumer route or the business laptop route for my business. We use Win. remote desktop, so almost anything will suffice provided it meets the weight and cost specs.

Needs to last 3 years.

Unless Lenovo gets its act together regarding SYSTEM UPDATE, it will not be considered in the future.

The problem I find with most business laptops is the video. I want something:

1) Fast processing with a lot of memory and disk space (that's pretty easy, most do that).

2) Have good looking screens (this is also easy to find).

3) Have docking stations.

4) Don't break down (you need these so you can work, break downs are a real problem).

5) Can get on-site support when they do [break down], so they can be fixed quickly and you don't have to ship a laptop with sensitive and valuable info to a support center.

6) It's also nice to be able to play a decent game sometimes. This is the hard part. It's hard to find options for video cards and even then it's very expensive. You get into "mobile desktop workstations" that are very expensive and aren't very mobile.

Automatic updates that work perfectly are crucial. Including a high-quality fast backup program similar to [Acronis] True Image would be a good idea.

Upgradeable graphics. I want to be able to update / replace an aging graphics card, just like I can replace a processor or add more RAM. Make removable / replaceable GPUs an option.

If you asked people why they suffered even the often poor TN panels on Lenovo, it would be the TrackPoint. Touchpads are quite useless for spreadsheet work, graphics precision, etc. TrackPoint delivers a) rapid fall-to-hand for enhanced productivity and b) precision which touchpads simply can't do. Interesting to know that the futures traders I know actually hunted down the older IBM standalone keyboards with the TrackPoint in them, rather than use a mouse or touchpad or trackball (cherry).

Screen fits to edge of bezel, and keyboard fits to edge of base. This ensures that the screen and keyboard are very user-friendly, while allowing for a smaller, more attractive notebook.

Silent operation.

Black. No fancy stylings / colors. No gloss, which just attracts fingerprints.

No glossy screen.

Durability is the most important, cost can be covered.

For me, "business class" = 4:3 screen ratio.

I don't think they sell the W500 with 1280x800 / 1440x900.

What I need is a T6xp with a 3.0 GHz CPU.

Having free Win7 upgrade should come in handy.

Fully customizable.

High build quality.

High durability.

Results Page 3

Message Edited by fmyhr on 2009-07-28 07:57 AM
---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.