Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
tacitus
Accepted Solution

The Total Incompetence of Lenovo Warranty Support

The title of this thread is no exaggeration, at least not in my specific case. I just cannot believe how badly they screwed up.

First I should say that I have been a loyal Thinkpad user ever since the product line was created -- I've never owned a laptop that wasn't a Thinkpad. My current machine is an X100e, a nice little system, in spite of its flaws.

A couple of weeks ago, it developed a problem where, if you tipped the display back more than about 120 degrees, the picture cuts out -- the screen goes blank, but the backlight remains on. If you tip the display forward again, it comes back on. This is a reliably reproducible problem -- simple enough to reproduce, test and diagnose -- and happens every time you tip the display back far enough.

The good news was that the system was just still under warrantly, so I explained the problem over the phone, got the box, wrote a detailed description of the problem again on the form provided and mailed it off.

I got the machine back this morning -- and what a colossal mess. Not only is the original problem still there -- happened the first time I opened the screen -- but they went and replaced by motherboard and chip with a completely different model. I started off with a dual-core processor L335 system and what got returned was a single-core MV-40 instead.

So not only did they not fix my machine -- they downgraded it to an inferior system!!

Let's just review what happened -- I gave explicit information about the problem -- twice, once over the phone and the second time in writing on the form packed off with the system unit itself -- and yet it comes back with a new motheboard and a printout saying that the problem fixed was that the "System will not boot".

Clearly the technician could not have even turned the machine on, because if he did, he would have seen that the system booted just fine. He also did not read the problem description I provided *with* *the* *machine* because he didn't even attempt to fix the real problem -- a simple 2 second text -- tilting the screen back -- would have shown that the problem still existed. 

As for putting the wrong chip in the returned systemboard -- I have no words...

When I call up Lenovo Warranty Support this morning, I get the "We want you to be *extremely* satisfied" message played to me three times before I finally get through to the right place -- after going through two other support people and having explained my problems in great detail, twice -- and at the end of the call with the third guy I remembered to ask the support guy to read back the problem description and all that was written down was "LCD Issues" -- that's it -- no description of the original problem or the fact that they need to give me my dual-core L335 processor back.

Also, the inflexibility of the support process in dealing with situations that *they* screwed up is breathtaking. Because my machine is now "out of warranty", he could not even authorize a new box (or even email a label for my old box) for another 24 hours, even though the original warranty repair is still the issue (as well as them downgrading my system). And when I asked to talk to a supervisor, I get fobbed off with "nobody's available right now" and that it would take up to 48 hours to get someone to call me back -- seriously? 48 hours?

I only have one laptop, and I depend on it when I am out of my (home) office, but they would not agree to an on site warranty repair to fix the mess of their own making. Indeed, their whole support system is set up to prevent such flexibility -- and when they won't put you through to someone with the authority to do such a thing to rectify their own incompetence, then it's nothing more than stonewalling a loyal customer.

I'm sorry, but this is just not good enough. I will now have to be without my laptop again for up to a week entirely due to their own incompetence -- a laptop I use perhaps six to eight hours a day, everyday -- and frankly, from the conversations I have had today with support, I am not filled with much confidence that they will get it right next time around either. What are the odds that I will get the correct processor back this time around?

To any Lenovo people reading this: How do you suggest I become "extremely satisfied" with this situation when all you are willing to do is plug me right back into the very same support system that has failed so spectactularly the first time around, and require me to be without my system for another week? I could understand an honest mistake, or oversight, but in this case it's been nothing more than total incompetence on the part of your service team, and now I'm going to be deprived of my system again.

Perhaps you should consider replacing that phone message you present to customers since clearly your inflexible support system is geared toward reducing cost, not improving customer satisfaction.

andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: The Total Incompetence of Lenovo Warranty Support

tacitus, welcome to the forum,

sorry to hear about your experience, it certainly came as a surprise to me that things could go so wrong.

In your position the first thing I would do is call support back, quote your original call number and inform the CSR, (Customer Service Rep.), that you wish to register a complaint, they will then register a complaint on your behalf and explain what happens next.

The Lenovo employees who help out here are in a position to do this for you, however registering the complaint immediately yourself will be a quicker.  Once you have then been contacted by the complaints department you can discuss with them the different options available to you in such a situation.

Best regards

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Fanfold Paper
tacitus

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply, Andy.

I will do as you suggest.

It's come as a surprise to me too, since I have been a long time customer of Lenovo and previous warranty repair services went off without a hitch.

andyP

Me too.

If it's any consolation, I've been selling and supporting ThinkPads for over 11 years, calling support calls for customers and ensuring their systems get fixed ASAP. I can honestly say that the number of times things have gone a little "strange" are countable on one hand over that time.

Lenovo seem to have "botched" this one, conversing with them will bring a solution.

Regards

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Retired Employee
Serge1410

hey tacitus,

i'm sorry to hear about the service which you have been given and many apologies for that.

thus, i would like you to pm to me the following so that i can assist you further :

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM [machine type model]:

(To locate MTM - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page#find)

Serial Number (S/N):
Date of Purchase:
Case/Order Number : (if any)

Screenshot of Error(if applicable) : (upload it to a hosting site and paste the link here)

Location of unit : Home / Repair Center (delete where appropriate)

Description of issue :

Troubleshooting Taken : (if any)

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Fanfold Paper
tacitus

Hi Serge,

Sorry I didn't notice your comment requesting information. In the end (after I had cooled down a little) I decided to just go ahead and give the Warranty Support guys a second chance to fix the problem. I sent the box off on Friday afternoon and was pleased to get it back in time for my off-site meeting yesterday afternoon.

The initial problem is now fixed, and the correct motherboard is back in the machine -- that's all as it should be.

But... now I have cluster of a 8-9 pixel dead pixels slap bang in the middle of my screen which wasn't there before. Basically I now have a big black dot staring at me whenever I am using the machine. There is also another, single (or perhaps double) dead pixel elsewhere.

The report card doesn't say the screen was replaced, but from the absense of a small mark that used to be there from where the trackpoint used to touch the screen when the lid was closed (invisible except when looked at from a specific angle) it appears that they may have replaced it.

Either way, I now have a defective screen whereas I used to have a perfect one before I sent my system off for repair (the second time) -- no dead or stuck pixels at all. Unfortunately, this is still unacceptable.

I haven't had the chance to spend an hour on the phone with warranty support again yet, but will be calling them this afternoon. Given that just three dead pixels is enough to replace the screen under warranty, I am assuming they will fix this problem of their own making, but it is very disappointing that I will have to send my laptop back to them a third time, especially since I will now have to wait until after the Christmas break (I will be traveling with my laptop) to get it fixed properly.

Depending on what happens this afternoon, I may send you the information you requested.

Fanfold Paper
tacitus

FYI: Called service and this time things went much more smoothly. They have agreed to replace the screen, and I have until the 12th January to send the machine in (under the 30 day labor warranty) which will get me through the holiday period when I will be traveling, and need the machine.

I'm sure we'll get there in the end... fingers crossed anyway!

andyP

Thanks for coming back and keeping us updated, it certainly seems that things are going to be sorted to your satisfaction.

Please keep us updated.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Fanfold Paper
tacitus

Well, today I finally got my x100e laptop back from Lenovo Warranty Support a third time, and finally everything seems to be working correctly, only...

I seem to have a glossy 11.6" screen when I used to have a matt 11.6" screen (which was one of the things I liked about my x100e laptop).

Sigh...

Well, at least there are no more dead pixel clusters in the middle of the screen to create gap-toothed smiles of the photos I am viewing.

It's not a big deal, and certainly not worth a fourth go-around sending my laptop off for Warranty Support, but it is a little disappointing all the same.

I am glad to report that I encountered no resistence in getting the screen (with dead pixels) replaced, which I was worried would happen, though perhaps my main gripe through all of this process was just how irritating it is to hear the cheery Lenovo messages about hoping you are "extremely satisfied" with their service when you are, in fact, extremely dissatisfied. Not what you want to hear when you're blood pressure is already up!

Finally, credit goes to the warranty repair team member who replaced the fan (on the second go around at fixing my laptop). The x100e is a lap-warming machine, but is now running about 10 degrees cooler than it did before the repairing process began.

That was not enough to make me "extremely satisfied" with Lenovo Warranty Support, but did help make me happier with the final outcome. Perhaps "moderately content" coupled with "relief" that I finally have a full working machine again would be a better description of my mood.

Fanfold Paper
tacitus

By the way, I have on recommendation to make on how to improve the chances that your laptop/system is repaired correctly.

The second and third time I send my laptop off, I securely taped a detailed description of the nature of the problem that needed fixing, along with the circumstances that caused the problems in the first place (i.e. a bad repair, etc.)

First time around I put that information on the sheet you have to complete and include with the laptop, but apparently that was not enough to guide them to the correct solution. Also, before the second repair, I gave a lengthy explanation of the exact problems with the laptop to the support person on the phone, but when I asked him to read back what he had entered into the system, he'd only added one of the two problems.

That's why I stuck a detailed description of the problems to the lid of my laptop titled "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE REPAIRING" and asking them to make sure to contact me if they cannot complete the repair as requested.

For simple cases, that should not be necessary, but then, my first repair request was very simple, and they botched it completely, so you can never be too careful.