Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
molex350

Tip for future ThinkPads - sunk USB

Hello,

as lot of people, also I use a wireless mouse. Everybody knows those nano-wireless receivers that for example Logitech and other brands produce for their mouse or keyboard+mouse sets. The only problem is that they still are about 5mm out of the USB port: 

it would be nice if Lenovo as a worlds first manufacturer of professional notebooks would introduce one sunk USB connector (for about those 5mm more than other USBs) just for this simple reason... I mean it still can be "reverse-compatible" with other devices, but those "nano receivers" can be "hidden" and thousands of users would definitely appreciate that possibility...

I know somebody can say that there is possibility of Bluetooth mouse etc... but the bluetooth technology is not so "power efficient" as those wireless technologies (one battery can have a lifespan about several months... unlike on BT mouse...). Please enable this for future generation of ThinkPads! :smileyhappy: Thank you!

802.11n
CorkyG

Re: Tip for future ThinkPads - sunk USB

[ Edited ]
As a VX Nano user, I would endorse this option. But, why not just build that little sucker in and sell the matching wireless mouse as a Lenovo accessory? Thinkpad USB ports are in short supply (3.)
Paper Tape
molex350

yeah but it would provide the freedom of choice... and what if you want to change the mouse, or keyboard for some reason... etc... like profesional that uses CAD program needs usually more than 3-5 buttons... like I know guys that have about 8 buttons and each of them has its function...

802.11n
CorkyG

In that special case, disable the inmternal nano emitter and use the multi-function mouse via a USB port.
Guru
ColonelONeill

I thought that's what Bluetooth was for?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 238

Hi molex350,

Lenovo did have recessed usb ports on some models.  

The x41 tablet had one recessed  port.

The x60 tablet had two recessed ports and a recessed firewire port.

The dongle fit flush to the case.

I can't say whether any newer ones had these or not. Maybe somebody can chime in and say.

It's a good idea and if it isn't being done today, then I also think it should be.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
molex350

[ Edited ]

to ColonelONeill:

bluetooth mouse can survive several weeks... (I mean its battery) those wireless technologies (like by Logitech etc) can several months (6-18 months !!!)

Paper Tape
molex350

CorkyG: I used a "wire" mouse for about a year when we do CAD drawing at school, library etc... now I have a new one - wireless one and I cannot understand why I didnt buy it sooner. The cables dont roll up together (mouse, notebook charger, USB cables for sync. with other devices etc...). It is definitely a good thing that at least one of notebooks USB should be about those 5-8mm "sunk"

Please lenovo, think about it for next generation of notebooks:smileyhappy:

What's DOS?
TheOneNed

The recessed USB port is a good idea, the only issue I see with it is that the space on the average laptop is at a premium and if you recess the port you will need to have enough space to get your fingers in to remove the receiver, especially for anyone without finger nails or keep a pocket knife or something similar handy incase you want to remove the receiver.

May you never see the blue screens of life! TheOneNed
802.11n
biznatch

What about an internal USB port? The wireless dongle would be out of the way, but could still be replaced without too much trouble if needed.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 i7-2720QM | 32 GB RAM 1333 MHz | FHD 1920x1080 | Quadro 1000M | Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04
Crucial M500 480GB mSATA + 2 x 1 TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm | BIOS 1.38