Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
Mornsgrans
Accepted Solution

WARNING: Malware on lenovoservicetraining.com - Resolved!

[ Edited ]

Hello,

please keep away from

http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/

until the admins have checked it.

A user of the german thinkpad-forum.de had reported about it yesterday in the evening CEST.

This site seems to be hacked and infected by malware. Kaspersky, Avast and NOD32 pop up an alertmessage.

Google says:

Malicious software includes 3 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 1 new process(es) on the target machine.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: WARNING: Malware on lenovoservicetraining.com ?!?!

[ Edited ]

Hi Mornsgrans,

Thanks for the heads up. Am bringing this up to the team now.

//JameZ

---

Hi All,

The team is aware of this issue, Lenovo is currently working with the webhost on this. Will notify everyone once the site is back online.

//JameZ

edit note - add additional comments

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Malware removed from lenovoservicetraining.com

[ Edited ]

All,

The site has been cleaned and we have requested Google to rescan the site. The alerts will clear once the rescan is complete.

I would advise any customers who visited http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/ during the evening of Oct 17th (about 11 pm EST)  through Oct 19th to run antivirus scans on their systems as a precautionary measure.  

(Edit - the issue was isolated during the evening of Oct 18th)

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Guru
Mornsgrans

Re: Malware removed from lenovoservicetraining.com

My Firefox still pops up the alert with the malware-explanation by google (browsercache has been cleared). Internet-Explorer gets an ERROR 400

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Retired Employee
JameZ

Hi Mornsgrans,

As advice by Mark, the site has been clean, the team has notified Google to scan through the site again. Do allow several days for Google to scan through the site before putting the site back to the safe list again.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Mornsgrans,

We have closed the site temporarily for maintenance.  We are taking this action as we work with Google to get the site rescanned and complete our investigation.   Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Update:

Lenovo completed the investigation of the malware event on the service training video website (www.lenovoservicetraining.com).  The malware was identified as a trojan of the JS/Gamburl.E type which can be detected and removed by a number of antivirus products including Microsoft Security Essentials.

Customers who visited the training site recently, especially between Oct 17th and Oct 19th are advised to ensure their antivirus utilities are up to date, and to perform a full system scan as a precaution.   Google completed the site rescan overnight and found it to be malware free, however the site remains closed for maintenance and upgrade with an expected return to service during the week of Oct 25th.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

UPDATE 10-27-10

The Service training site updates are complete and has returned to active service.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество