Support in other languages: 
Lenovo Staff
Serene_Lenovo

What is your favorite laptop for gaming and why? What matters most to you?

ColonelONeill, one of Lenovo Community's resident gurus, shares what he considers important in making a computer purchase for gaming purposes in our latest Community Spotlight write-up here.

Are his tips similar to yours? Share your tips here as well!

WW Social Media
T420, Yoga 13, Yoga Tab 8, K900
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,229
Solutions: 1,313

Re: What is your favorite laptop for gaming and why? What matters most to you?

get an eGPU + high powered desktop graphics card and you can play whatever game you want on your laptop (hopefully the TOLUD issues get a look into from the bios manufacturer).

Or Lenovo could try to get purchase the Voodoo line from HP PC division, and produce an Alienware killer.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 792

I enjoy board games, not computer games...:smileywink:

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,306
Solutions: 283

Neat write up!   I've not had time for games in a very long time, but I did get to play on a Y560d 3D laptop last year and before I knew it, I'd spent 30 mins or more - it was quite addictive!

The ThinkPads are solid system, but the speakers and audio have always been "business class" and so that is one thing that the IdeaPads, especially those with the dolby or other branded speaker systems stand out.

I'd really never considered that some keyboards were designed to do a better job of handling multiple button presses, etc and being optimized.  That was an interesting note in the article.  

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,229
Solutions: 1,313

Mark have you played with the X1? The sound quality on these machines are more like Bang & Olufsen class (slight exaggeration).

Yes the usb keyboards are polled and they do sap some CPU resources, this is why gamers use mechanical keyboard with ps/2 connectors.... N key roll over.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 139
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Serene

The Y560 is an awesome machine for games IMO. I even blogged about it some time back

http://buddinggeek.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/revving-up-the-ideapad-and-how/ .These are not tips but just my side of experience.

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon

●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Guru
PeterTWJ

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I tried one of my friends Lenovo IdeaPad Y460p (Topseller in Polytechnics or High School). The keyboard is way better compared to Alienware. JBL Speaker is solid with Lenovo Onekey Theater and Realtek HD Audio.

However, I would still prefer to game with my ThinkPad W520 due to better keyboard even though ThinkPad keyboard have some limitations. 

(Left Alt + Up Arrow + Left Arrow) does not work and a beep sound is produced, yet (Left Alt + Up Arrow + Right Arrow) works. So far, I only met the issues with ThinkPad but no other keyboards. I am not sure whether the X1 or Edge keyboard have similar issues.

For some driving games, you need three combinations for (Acceleration / Brake, Left / Right and Nitrous Oxide) and it works for most keyboard. 

If the X1 or Traditional Keyboard could exceed more than 3 key combinations, it would probably be the best gaming keyboard. Maybe they could have more in the gaming market and release something like Y770d or Y870p for the next new product to get back some customers who jump to Alienware.

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone post helps you? Give them a kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551...  

What's DOS?
dean1756

Great info, Peter. Thanks. The laptop review industry is so vast I sometimes wonder where to start!!!
Blue Screen Again
jqueeng02

I have been using ThinkPad W520 and it works well...

Guru
ColonelONeill

LOL. Just noticed this thread. XD

I play Battlefield 3 on my W520. Doesn't run at maximum, but runs fluently enough. As much as I'd like to get more internal GPU horsepower, I wouldn't trade in the ThinkPad ideals.

The response time on the FHD panel is a bit of a drag (no pun intended), but my poor ISP is the real PITA. So I go to the library to play. :smileytongue: Not sure if toting around an eGPU works there.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase