Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
lenovo_usr

Why Lenovo do not supply Drivers CD with new purshased Thinceter PCs and new Thinpad Laptops

Hello,

i noticed that when i purchased new Lenovovo PCs or  Laptops,there is no Drivers CD including(for sound/network etc) with it ,and i should to go to Lenovo websites to download the drivers,

so why ?

and is this the supplier policy or Lenovo policy ? 

I think all of us do not like to go to website and search with required machine type and serial no  for the drivers .

thanks

community supermod
erik

Re: Why Lenovo do not supply Drivers CD with new purshased Thinceter PCs and new Thinpad Laptops

i understand your concerns.   one way to look at it is that drivers change so often, your driver DVD would be outdated in a very short amount of time -- perhaps even outdated by the time you receive your system.   after that, you'd be left downloading drivers from the website anyway.

another consideration is that if your system works with the drivers you have, it may not be a good idea to update or change them.   i've found many times that the old saying of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" holds true with drivers.   the only updates i perform on a regular basis are the BIOS and video card drivers.   as long as i'm not having problems, the rest of my drivers remain the same.

drivers can be quickly found starting on the driver matricies index page.   from here you can find the individual driver matrix page for each of your systems and bookmark them for future reference.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

Re: Why Lenovo do not supply Drivers CD with new purshased Thinceter PCs and new Thinpad Laptops

There is a driver folder in your HDD with all your drivers in it. Likewise, the OS also included in the HDD and you would need to burn your own copy.

Lenovo's corporate strategy for minimal paper and cd bundling with new computer purchase, is probably to do with minimizing wastage of materials, as erik have pointed out drivers nowadays are updated on a regular cycle, by the time that Lenovo have created millions of copies of CD to ship out with their laptop, it would be already outdated, and Lenovo would then have to throw out these CD and create a whole new inventory of CD, and the cycle repeats.

I think we should all do our bit for a sustainable future, every little bit counts.

LENOVO FUTURE TECHNOLOGY TODAY. :smileytongue: 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
ZaZ
Greps Everything
ZaZ

You already have a drivers CD, though there's no setup program to install them all at once.  It's the SWTools folder on the C:\ drive.  Burn it onto a DVD and volia, you've got a driver disc.  It contains all the applications and driver install installed on your machine unless you purchased additional software like Office or Photoshop, in which case you would get a CD for that software.  It's one of the myriad of ways PC makers keep the cost of buying a machine.  It used to be back in the day when you got a new PC you got all the discs and serveral thick manuals, but that costs money to produce.  It's much easier to have electronic manuals or have you burn off the discs, which cost like what, 5¢?

I'm with  Erik on this one.  If it's working, there's no need to update.  The only thing I've upgraded is my BIOS so I could upgrade to a Core 2 Duo.

thanks for relpy,

I know that this procedure will make the PCs hardware having up to date drivers ,
 but I see many friends/clients/end users/ not happy with this procedure, and they are familiar with other PCs vendors (HP\Acer\Dell) that provide the drivers DVD with every new PC.

Also when they downloaded the drivers for the first time they burned it in DVD and they do not return to Lenovo website again to check for update (I think this is not good) , but many users keep at least one DVD safe copy for the drivers.

thanks

community supermod
erik

ThinkVantage System Update can systematically check for driver updates without much effort by the end user.   in fact, it can even run on a schedule if desired.

if your friends and clients still find themselves unhappy given this and the driver matrices then it's up to them to burn their own driver CD.   personally, i would find such a CD wasteful since systems aren't rebuilt that often, drivers are constantly being updated, and drivers can always be found online using TVSU, the driver matricies, windows update, or any combination of these three.

there are plenty of options to keep your friends happy. :smileywink:

Fanfold Paper
lenovo_usr

[ Edited ]
In my opinion the Drivers CD is very important with every new PC , if Lenovo find it better to not supply it with new PC ,at least should bind the distributor or supplier to do that.

Many clients prefer  to install the OS by themselves  and they order Dos licensed machine, sometimes the end user re-partition the HDD and delete  the hidden recovery partition , all these cases required CD drivers available after installing windows.

Rgds,
Message Edited by lenovo_usr on 03-17-2009 02:42 PM
community supermod
erik

having done hundreds of fresh OS installations on thinkpads myself, i find that TVSU makes extremely quick work of driver installation.   manual installation using a driver CD would be a pain in comparison.   if the drivers on that CD are outdated then i'd need to download new ones anyway, which is where a connected solution like TVSU saves both time and effort.   given how long it takes to install a fresh OS, saving time is always a good thing.

have you tried TVSU?   if not, you should.   it just might change your opinion. :smileywink:

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

i don't know whether there is many laptop companies that supply stand alone driver disks, usually they are all bundled in the OEM installation disks.

But, if you are procuring dos only Thinkpads, and went to the trouble of installing your own OS, i don't think it is much more of a hassle just to download some drivers off the net.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft