Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
drtigerlilly

Why has stereo Mix been disabled on thinkpads & when do we get a formal response

[ Edited ]
As evidenced in previous threads here and around the internet, recording via stereo mix has been removed from most new Thinkpads, at present the x6x/t6x series, that i am aware of. Threads have been started, users have tried to take the matter into their own hands trying to hack the drivers, and Lenovo has not responded at all, People have tried to contact tech support about the matter & they are equally clueless.

Could we get an official response on the matter, and if there is an expectation that the feature will be re-enabled in subsequent drivers, as happened with Dell & the Sigmatel 92xx drivers?

An easy solution for some is an additional soundcard, which i think is ridiculous considering the amount of money spent on these machines, but for some machines that isn't even a viable solution, the pcmcia controller on some t6x & x6x models are incompatible with popular pcmcia soundcards and users have reported that usb solutions don't work either.

I've also tried software solutions like Virtual Audio Cable & Total Recorder and they are not acceptable solutons for me, simply b/c they don't work.

I think i can safely say on behalf of the other users with the problem, that we'd like an official response.

Some Lenovo Specific Threads pertaining to the issue:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=52527&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&message.id=1880

other similar threads across the internet also w/ Thinkpad users:

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread193323.html

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread193327.html

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread188271.html

Message Edited by drtigerlilly on 03-23-2008 06:23 PM
Punch Card
usenet7

Stereo Mix for t61p?

The sound driver for the T61/p seems to be broken as far as features that I had even with my T42/41.  There is no stereo mix recording feature (for the T42 I used wave out mix).  I used the wave out mix of the t42 almost every day.  The inf driver file (see below)  indicates that Lenovo has turned stereo mix off for some reason.  Does anyone know why or how to turn it on?  Lenovo support couldn't help, the driver company is silent, and an online bboard on the Thinkpad doesn't know either.
BTW, I tried the Dec version of the Lenovo audio driver and it broke my sound recording so I had to go back to the previous version.
t61p/vista/4gig mem
inf file: "HKR,AD1984\\Disable, OutR, 1, 01 ;; Disable Stereo Mix Capture Node"
Token Ring
singularity2006

Re: Stereo Mix for t61p?

Is this the same problem I might be having?  I was about to ask a question about how come the recording devices available under the Windows audio icon only shows "microphone" and not wave-out or stereo-mix.... any suggestions? I'm trying to record some telecasts audio only but am unable to do so without that setting.
T61_Wide | Model No. 7662 - CTO
Core 2 Duo T7250 | 2GB OCZ DDR2-800
82566MM Gigabit | 4965AGN Centrino Pro
Token Ring
singularity2006

[ Edited ]

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=52527#356167

there's our answer.... that is QUITE LAME. 

the thinkpads are great pieces of hardware but all these stupid restrictions make it difficult for us to do anything with them - even if the use is legitimate.  I'm not quite a happy customer at the moment. It was bad enough being restricted to the wireless NIC.... now this too? unbelievable...

Note from Moderator:  Converted to clickable link.

Message Edited by nonny on 02-13-2008 07:28 AM
Punch Card
usenet7

I don't necessarily blame Lenovo, Microsoft, or Analog Devices.  I have the feeling the audio driver was released before it had all the features enabled.  But it is frustrating not having a capability in a newer generation of machine that was available in the previous generation.  I hope it has this capability soon, but maybe Lenovo isn't feeling any pressure to work on it.
Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

I saw somewhere, that you may be able to use the free Audacity, which has a drop-down menu on the top right.
Select Wave Out Mix.
It's maybe worth a shot.
Token Ring
singularity2006

[ Edited ]
Assuming there is a legal issue, I hope this thread does not get deleted.

Regarding Audacity - it will not display the drop down menu as the driver itself disabled the stereo-mix.  Re-enabing it using this patch will help.

However, I found the solution on a thread: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=52527&start=60&sid=a136c428c5a38c58b573f3fa01c35d67

1. But basically, download the SoundMax driver from lenovo's website and extract it somewhere.  Then open up ADIHDAUD.INF located in SMAXWDM folder in the driver folder.
  2. Find the line HKR,AD1984\\Disable, OutR, 1, 01 ;; Disable Stereo Mix Capture Node
  3. Change the "01" to 00 and save it
  4. Run "setup" and select "uninstall" existing driver - reboot
  5. Run "setup" and select "install" new driver - ignore the Windows XP auto install setting and ignore the "non certified" driver warning - reboot
  6. Go to start menu > run > type: "regedit" [enter] (without quotes)
  7. Click on "edit > search" and look for AD1984.
  8. For each registry key/folder of AD1984, find the subfolder/key that says MicBP and OutR and change their associated binary values from 01 to 00.  For some people, re-installing the driver in this fashion already produces a 00 while for others, the change must be made manually.
  9. Reboot
  10. Windows may give you an error that the SoundMax driver needs to be re-installed - this is NOT true.  You need to only re-install the Windows XP hotfix to re-enable the universal audio architecture.  This hotfix is available on the lenovo website here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-68974
I do not know if this works for Windows Vista but it should would be happy to see if someone can try.  Otherwise, XP users should be good to go!

Message Edited by singularity2006 on 02-13-2008 09:12 AM

MOD edit - converted to clickable link.

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 04-17-2008 01:04 PM
802.11n
eecon

[ Edited ]
Trust me, I have tried all the options at the ThinkPad Forum link listed above on my T61 (I also have a T42 that does record all audio and looked through all it's driver files for clues).  There is only one hardware solution that works, but only if you have an Express/54 slot.  The regisitry and .inf file modifications will not work.

Also, the Ricoh PCMIA Controller that Lenovo used for the PCMCIA Card slot is not compatibile with any of Creative's PCMCIA external sound card options according to Creative.

I strongly suggest those truly interested in this issue read through all 123 postings about this issue at the ThinkPad Forum link posted above.   There is a solution around the 112th posting, but it will cost you about $60 and you'll need to have an Express/54 slot which not all T6X or X6X units have.

Also, Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) will work without adding new hardware, but it is a cumbersome process to use and a not seamless solution.  It is also discussed in the link above to the ThinkPad forum.

The real question we should be asking here is:

When will Lenovo finally fix the broken T6X amd X6X SoundMax audio drivers to allow for recording audio from all sources (like my older T42)? 

Rumor has it that Dell has reconsidered their original "crippled" SoundMax design and will soon issue a fix to re-enable their newest laptops to record all sources again.

Message Edited by eecon on 02-13-2008 02:25 PM
Two (I used to have Five) - T61p 15.4" WS T9300 2.5Ghz units, August 08/08 Builds with FX570M Nvidia Graphics; ... One W520 i7-2860QM w/2000M Nvidia Graphics (most recent acquisition and stupidly fast); .... One - T42 4:3 15" Flexview 1.8GHz with ATI Graphics (still perfect for traveling); ... Two - T500 15.4" units both with ATI HD3650 Graphics.
Token Ring
singularity2006

!@#$

You're right... I'm so dumb.  I was able to enable the stereo-mix option but u are totally right.... it still does not function as a recording input.....

VAC here I come.... not really into the idea of adding more hardware onto this machine.
802.11n
eecon

VAC will work .... however, it's somewhat cumbersome .... enjoy!
Two (I used to have Five) - T61p 15.4" WS T9300 2.5Ghz units, August 08/08 Builds with FX570M Nvidia Graphics; ... One W520 i7-2860QM w/2000M Nvidia Graphics (most recent acquisition and stupidly fast); .... One - T42 4:3 15" Flexview 1.8GHz with ATI Graphics (still perfect for traveling); ... Two - T500 15.4" units both with ATI HD3650 Graphics.