Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
JWBlue

Wireless issues

[ Edited ]

I am losing my internet connection frequently.

The connection will be solid for most of the day.  Then usually in the late afternoon it will disconnect.  The connection will be sporadic after that.

When I reboot the computer, the problem is solved for another day.

Does this indicate I have an issue with the computer and not the router?

For the past year I have just been putting my computer into hibernate without any connection issues.

Topics: 35
Kudos: 351
Solutions: 235

Re: Wireless issues

What OS?  Lenovo's Power Manager or Windows?  Access Connections or Windows?

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Serial Port
JWBlue

[ Edited ]

> Windows 7 Professional; 64-bit (just added it to my sig)
> Lenovo Power Manager
> Windows connection.

I don't think my computer came with Access Connections. Can I download it somewhere? Would it be more reliable than the Windows connection?

According to this page, neither my adapter or machine is supported.  Would it work anyway?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013683#ac

Should I download this?

It is the Intel connection software.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20123&ProdId=3229&lang=eng&OSVersion=...

No, don't download anything yet. Let's see if we can get it stable under windows. When this starts acting up, have you ever tried to reset the router?  If you haven't, try that and see if it works any better.

Go into start, control panel, power options, in your power plan click change plan settings,  in the window that comes up click  change advanced  power settings.  Then click on the Wireless adapter settings,  then click power saving mode  and make sure that maximum performance is chosen.

Also in control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click your wireless adapter, properties,  power management, make sure that  "allow the computer  to turn off this device to save power is unchecked".

While you're in there, click the advanced tab and make sure that  throughout enhancement is enabled,  and transmit power is at its highest.  

See if any of that works.

Dave

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Serial Port
JWBlue

[ Edited ]

topmahof wrote:

No, don't download anything yet. Let's see if we can get it stable under windows. When this starts acting up, have you ever tried to reset the router?  If you haven't, try that and see if it works any better.

Go into start, control panel, power options, in your power plan click change plan settings,  in the window that comes up click  change advanced  power settings.  Then click on the Wireless adapter settings,  then click power saving mode  and make sure that maximum performance is chosen.

Also in control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click your wireless adapter, properties,  power management, make sure that  "allow the computer  to turn off this device to save power is unchecked".

While you're in there, click the advanced tab and make sure that  throughout enhancement is enabled,  and transmit power is at its highest.  

Dave

Yes.  I did reset the router.

topmahof wrote:

There is no power plan in Window Power Options. I am using Lenovo Power Manager.  There is no option in Lenovo Power Manager to modify Wireless adapter settings.

topmahof wrote:

Dave

There is no "Throughout Enhancement" in the Advanced Tab anywhere.  I did the other two things.

Before I did these things, the connection seemed to be getting better.

I assume that the Windows connection is better than the Intel software.

[ Edited ]

At this point, just use windows wireless connections. It's easier.  

When you go into power options in windows is there a blue colored button on any of the plans at all?  The default is balanced. If none have a blue button, choose that one. then make the changes I listed above. Doing this isn't going to affect any of your settings in Power Manager.

The intel utility just gives you a different way to connect. 

Dave

Edit:  I'm going to add a few things to this:  You're using Desktop Power Management, right?  That's a little different than Lenovo's Power Manager.  Access Connections also isn't listed for your machine, so I doubt if it will install, let alone run.

Your software updater is called Device Experience for Windows 7, have you ever run it?  You might want to run it and see what it comes up with.

Your Intel link above:  Did you get that by running Intel's scanner or did you just search the site?  If you got it by just searching the site, then I wouldn't install it.  Windows is just going to run its connection program anyway.