Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
kingkong

A 1- ICS and CM 7

Hi, I hear many people talking about the ICS and CM 7 for the A 1. May I know what is that ? Do ICS and CM 7 good for the A-1 and run faster than the oringal program after installing them?

Token Ring
smalcom

Re: A 1- ICS and CM 7

[ Edited ]

ICS is Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich.) Lenovo will probably never upgrade the A1 to ICS. CM 7 is a program to root the A1. It "unlocks" the operating system and allows the user to make changes to it. Rooting is not something you should try if you don't even know what it is. Lenovo does not support rooting a tablet, and Lenovo would need to provide the upgraded OS. These are not apps that you find in Google Play or the Lenovo App Market.

IdeaPad A1-07
iPhone 3GS
gmarkall
Topics: 6
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 21

That is incorrect - CM7 does not root the A1. CM7 is Cyanogenmod 7, an Android distribution that you might choose to use as a replacement for the stock Android that is installed by Lenovo. You can see the Cyanogenmod website for a bit more information about it and its features.

The A1 isn't officially supported by Cyanogenmod, there's only an unofficial version. There is a guide for installing CM7 on the A1

Token Ring
smalcom

gmarkall wrote:

That is incorrect - CM7 does not root the A1. CM7 is Cyanogenmod 7, an Android distribution that you might choose to use as a replacement for the stock Android that is installed by Lenovo. You can see the Cyanogenmod website for a bit more information about it and its features.

The A1 isn't officially supported by Cyanogenmod, there's only an unofficial version. There is a guide for installing CM7 on the A1

That's funny, Wikipedia calls it a "...replacement firmware..." and refers in its article to the "rooted" devices. I'll go with Wiki, and continue to refer to CM7 as a rootkit.

IdeaPad A1-07
iPhone 3GS
gmarkall

Yes, it is a replacement firmware, hence I said "an Android distribution that you might choose to use as a replacement for the stock Android that is installed by Lenovo". 

You're taking the part of the Wikipedia article that refers to rooted devices out of context - it's talking about the requirement to have root access in order to modify the firmware of the device, i.e. install Cyanogenmod.

Cyanogenmod is also not a rootkit - that is something different to "rooting" as well - see the Wikipedia article on rootkits for a brief description.

Punch Card
kingkong

Thank you all for the information.
Token Ring
smalcom

gmarkall wrote:

Yes, it is a replacement firmware, hence I said "an Android distribution that you might choose to use as a replacement for the stock Android that is installed by Lenovo". 

You're taking the part of the Wikipedia article that refers to rooted devices out of context - it's talking about the requirement to have root access in order to modify the firmware of the device, i.e. install Cyanogenmod.

Cyanogenmod is also not a rootkit - that is something different to "rooting" as well - see the Wikipedia article on rootkits for a brief description.

I see your point, but you cannot just download and apply CM7 to your bog-standard A1 can you?

IdeaPad A1-07
iPhone 3GS
gmarkall

You can install CM7 on a bog-standard A1 - all you'd need to do is follow the procedure for installing an OTA update, but do it with the CM7 zip file instead of an official Lenovo zip file. 

However, it's recommended to follow the steps in the guide I linked to a couple of posts back, in order to make a backup of your current system and data, should you wish to restore it.

Token Ring
smalcom

gmarkall wrote:

You can install CM7 on a bog-standard A1 - all you'd need to do is follow the procedure for installing an OTA update, but do it with the CM7 zip file instead of an official Lenovo zip file. 

However, it's recommended to follow the steps in the guide I linked to a couple of posts back, in order to make a backup of your current system and data, should you wish to restore it.

What would I gain by installing this mod? Which Android version is it based on (or is it a completely different OS?) I am intrigued. Is is tablet oriented, or still phone oriented? Will I loose all of my data/apps and have to reload? Is it compatible with Play (Market) and Amazon Apps? Do I use it with GO?

You have created a very curious cat here. Any help would be appreciated.

IdeaPad A1-07
iPhone 3GS
Punch Card
kingkong

Can the ICS solve the problem of plug in the usb drive in the micro usb?