Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
ClieOS

A1 Wifi Bug - Fix or No Fix?

[ Edited ]

Before you asked - Yes, I have read all the old threads about the wifi issue in A1 and in fact, browsing this part of the Lenovo forum since I got my 16GB A1 in early Feb. Silly me foir not doing enough research and instead convince myself to believe blindly to the Lenovo brand name, but that's my fault anyway.

From the official Lenovo Chinese forum for A1, I already learn that the buggy wifi driver isn't anything new, but in fact can be traced back to the original 2GB version of A1 sold in China since Aug~Oct last year. That's at least 6 months of no solution and if I may, really bad customer support. What to do with an android tablet with a wifi issue so bad that it will crash the whole system for up to 20 times a day? (No kidding, that actually happened when I was trying to figure out how to upgrade the OS). My hope of a simple internet tablet that I can check email and browse website with is crashed as well, with the feeling of getting robbed of $250 no less.Worst of, Lenovo is actually launching new tablets while my A1 has been left for dust collecting duty for weeks because it can't do what it was supposed to be capable of.

My questions to Levono are: Will we ever see a fix for the buggy wifi driver? Is there any effort current being dedicated to fixing this issue? Would someone care to answer, or should I give up on Lenova all together and just feel lucky that I didn't pick up the S100 wihch I almost bought together with A1? Anyone?

I am not even angry any more, just sad.

Token Ring
fred_yu_job

Re: A1 Wifi Bug - Fix or No Fix?

Sorry...but I didn't see any WIFI issue being discussed in those Chinese A1 forums right now.
And my A1 doesn't have any WIFI issue.
One major WIFI issue was from the Google maps; and this is resolved now - new Google Maps works with ROM 2643 with no issue anymore.
Can you give me even ONE single link complainning about the WIFI issue without solution?
Fanfold Paper
ClieOS

I can do better than 1 link.

Wifi issue (along with the GPS problem, I believe) was mentioned by sinanju (who chose to leave this forum) as early as January this year. He has made a seperate thread about it:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-IdeaTab-Slate-Tablets/A1-WiFi-Reboot-Gathering-Data/td-p/661899

He also create this discussion over at Google, I believe: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24745

Of course, let not forget those discussions over at the Chinese forum, and they do go way back to Oct. last year if you have the time to flip over the 100+ pages in bbs.lenovomobile.com (an official forum). But here is one recent good example from late Feb. this year, where an A1 user made a poll and asked people whether their A1 have experienced crash or freeze after turning the wifi on and off three times in a roll. 17 people voted and 16 of them said they have the problem and some of them are even on the latest firmware.You should be happy to know you are at least 1/17 that doesn't have Wifi issue where I am the unfortunate 16/17 out there, so to speak. Yes, real world statistic doesn't work that way but I know there are 16 people that are in the same shoe that I am in right now.

http://bbs.lenovomobile.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=27275

Ultimately, here was a request made by gmarkall on twitter (*read his tweet around April 15th~16th), who is porting the CM7 to A1 (*a big thanks to the man), asking for a copy of the Broadcom driver so he can try to undo all the evil in A1's wifi. When it comes to Android coding and A1, I doubt there is anyone outside of Levono that know more than he does.

http://twitter.com/#!/gmarkall

Token Ring
fred_yu_job

do you still have this issue when you flash the A1 to the factory settings?

gmarkall
Topics: 6
Kudos: 114
Solutions: 21

ClieOS,

Thanks for your kind words - I'm not entirely sure I'm the most knowledgeable person outside of Lenovo, but thanks for claiming it anyway :smileyhappy:

Rebooting 20 times a day certainly does seem excessive - most people I know report at least 3 days uptime before the wifi causes a crash. If you still have this issue after going back to factory settings as fred_yu_job suggests, you might want to also try flashing an OTA in recovery mode (you can get the 2643 version for your region from http://download.lenovo.com/slates/a1/OTA/). If that still doesn't solve the issue, your hardware could be faulty. 

I haven't read through the Chinese forum posts, but are all the Chinese users reporting this "crashes after 3 times wifi on/off" issue using the stock ROM or another one? The reason I ask is that there is a file, /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state that must have "1" echoed to it before turning on the wifi and "0" echoed to it after turning it off, otherwise a crash is guaranteed - before we spotted this we had the same issue in CM7. (this is the fix that I used: patch ) - this doesn't stop it crashing entirely, but it does allow the wifi to work more than 3 times.

Fanfold Paper
ClieOS

Unfortunately I have tried the facotry setting / OTA firmware many times and they doesn't solve the issue (at least not entirely). It just got more stable on the latest 2643 firmware.

20 crashes a day is one of my worst experience with A1, but typically it can go for 2~3 crashes per day to 1 crash every 2 ~3 day. If I am very lucky, I can get it to run for 3~4 days without a crash. Overall, it is random at best. The problem is, I got my A1 mainly as an internet tablet since I need it for email, blogging, and forum posting where I have done a lot of review on audio gears and need to answer people's question when I am not in front of my PC. Think of how I feel when the A1 crashes when I am half way in finihsing a post or an email reply. I can't do anything important on the A1 at all, except for casual website browsing and perhaps some Angry Brid time to let off steam. Now I just give up on using it entirely since I am forced to sit in front of my PC again for things I thought A1 could do.

From what I have read, the Chinese user who suffered from 3-on-3-off wifi-crash seems to use stock OS mostly, some of them might have rooted their A1 but that's all they do.

Again, thanks for the work on CM7, gmarkall. I am still hoping Lenovo might fix the issue eventually. For the least, they can help you on the driver / code. The fact that I am hoping you could fix the issue before Levono sure doesn't inspire my confidence in Lenovo customer support. If anything, I want to see Lenovo posting some kind of bug-fix list or planned firmware release so we can actually know they are doing something, instead of waiting blindly most of the time like right now - this is what this thread is about, an acknowledgement (of anything) from Lenovo.

Token Ring
fred_yu_job

Maybe you guys with WIFI issues got defeat unit . . .

Fanfold Paper
ClieOS

[ Edited ]

If all the people who have Wifi issue has defect units, that can only reflect so much on Lenovo's manafacturing ability and quality control. I mean, there are handreds of report on Wifi related crash and plain no-reason crash on A1 over the internet, what kind of defect rate is that? Might as well recall the whole production line if that's true. Plus, there are at least two threads over at the Chinese forum that I have read where people who replaced their A1 under warranty due to wifi crash ended up with new unit that has the exact same problem. If this is not softwsre related, well, this can only make it worst when defected A1 was replaced by new defected A1. I am certainly hoping that's not the case, for the sake of both A1 user and Lenovo.

Token Ring
fred_yu_job

I have no idea how did you count that "handreds of report"; but I didn't see that many; even with the pole you showed, only 16 people voted for the WIFI problem; normally people won't vote if there is no issue, at least, I don't have the WIFI issue, and I didn't vote.
Fanfold Paper
ClieOS

You didn't vote because you have no problem; you don't know about the Wifi issue because you don't have any. But just because you didn't notice as many reports as me doesn't mean there ain't that many. After all, why should someone care or notice a problem when it doesn't affect him/her at all? It is just simple logic. It is, and I assumed, the same logic that drives gmarkall to try to find a solution for the Wifi drive - because it affects him as well, and that's why he care, and that's why I care.

I notice hundreds or report because I was actively looking / reading / searching about it for the last two months trying to find a solution for myself. If you have had spent that much time like me, I am sure you can find over 16 people that suffer the same problem. Also, I don't mean just official forums. I find quite a few postings about the same issue from popular Chinese forums like imp3.com to small unofficial Lenovo forums.

You want 1 link and I have given you 4, do you want me to dig up handreds of links as well to prove my point? Or if it is even remotely possible that someone from Lenovo does come to this thread and post something useful, like acknowledging the issue or even denying it? I really don't care what it will be. At least I'll get an straight answer that way to decide whether I should keep my A1 and wish for a better tomorrow, send it back and hope I won't get a defected unit back or just toss it out and call it a day. I have waited blindly for 2 months, and frankly I am tired of it..