Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Susanj5

A1 idea pad 7inch tablet.will not connect to my wi fi

Hi there,

I have just bought the A1 idea pad thru Amazon and cannot get it to connect to my wifi. I have followed the onscreen instructions, it tries to connect, then it's authenticating and disables all in a matter of seconds.

I am not very computer literate, a silver surfer trying my best but getting no where. Don't know if the tablet is faulty as it should be so much easier than this, having spent several hours over the last 2 days trying everything I can think of.

Please reply in plain language! Many thanks.

Punch Card
fKing

Re: A1 idea pad 7inch tablet.will not connect to my wi fi

what sort of wifi? i tried connecting my A1 to a 5ghz wireless N network today...which isn't supported. you need a 2.4ghz network (wireless N, or B/G compatible).

ok, LOL...not plain english perhaps. but the first thing i'd check is the wifi itself, or at least...unplug the cable (or dsl) box from electricity, then unplug the wireless router, then replug them (in the same order). check that u can get online with your computer, then try the A1 again...

Punch Card
PiemJi

If your wifi repeatedly connects and disconnects, you may need to set a "static" IP.

tap.... Settings / Wireless & Networks / Wi-Fi Settings / Advanced (from menu button)

Now you will see  2 sections...

WI-FI sleep policy (mine is set to NEVER)
MAC address
IP address (mine says unavailable)
---------------------------------------
Use static IP (checked)
IP address (mine is set to 198.168.2.4)
Gateway (mine is set to 198.168.2.1)
Netmask (mine is set to 255.255.255.0)
DNS 1 (mine is set to 198.168.2.1)
DNS 2 (mine is left blank)

Token Ring
smalcom

Sounds like two possibilities:

You have MAC address authorization turned on in your router - you need to enter the MAC address of the A1 into your router

You have SSID Broadcast turned off. - there is no way to specify the SSID on the A1. The router must "advertise" its existence.

IdeaPad A1-07
iPhone 3GS
Paper Tape
Susanj5

Hi PiemJi,

Many thanks for your reply and detailed instructions.

Sorry to say my A1 will still not connect, it's saying the wi fi net work is Disabled,secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK.

My laptop connection is working no problem, I'm getting so frustrated with this I think I shall sadly have to return the A1.

Appreciate your help.

Sye

Paper Tape
Susanj5

Thanks for your reply smalcom, could you please tell me how to enter the A1 MAC address into my router? And how do I turn the SSID Broadcast on?

Appreciate your help.

Sue

Token Ring
tinybeetle

Susanj5 wrote:

Thanks for your reply smalcom, could you please tell me how to enter the A1 MAC address into my router? And how do I turn the SSID Broadcast on?

Appreciate your help.

Sue

Susan, have you applied the 2643 A1 software update yet?

Go to "settings" (the gear icon), then "About Tablet", then "System Updates". If your A1 needs a software update it will let you know. Follow the on-screen instructions. When it finishes the update it will automatically turn your A1 off. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to be sure the update is completed. Then hold the power button down to restart your A1.

Your A1 should show "Build Number A107W0_A234_001_015_2643_US" at bottom of the same screen as the System Updates option.

Try connecting to your WiFi then. The latest update has made a lot of changes and fixes.

Paper Tape
Susanj5

Thanks tinybeetle, I'll give it a go & keep my fingers crossed.
Token Ring
smalcom

Sue...In most cases, the address of the router is either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.
You use your browser, and enter the address as you would any web address. The router will ask for a UserID and password. It is usually admin/password. Look for wireless settings. There should be items called SSID and MAC address security, or some such. I'm on vacation for a few days, and can't remember where the MAC address is found on the A1. I think it's either in WiFi or about tablet. Hope this helps you.
IdeaPad A1-07
iPhone 3GS
Paper Tape
tlfitz12

Don't you need a working internet connection for your tablet to update the build number?

I have the same problem, that my A1 connects to my PC but can't obtain an IP address.

Then, if I change it to static IP, it connects fine, but then there really isn't any WiFi!