Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
ujl7
Accepted Solution

A1 shuts down and won't come back!

I had my new A1 tablet for only two days and for no reason it just shuts itself down. I searched some previous posts regarding this issue in the community and tried EVERYTHING people have suggested, including holding power button for 45 second and then let go, and press for another 5 seconds; or run Touch calibration, etc.. NOTHING worked! There were times where the word "Lenovo" flashed by and then the screen quickly went dark again. I called their support line all night and never got through.

I'm thinking about returning the product yet my package didn't even come with a return procedure/policy! I'm desperate! Please help!

Token Ring
Burger

Re: A1 shuts down and won't come back!

With only two days you can demand outright replacement from where you bought it right?
Token Ring
fred_yu_job

Try this:
1) Charge it for 4 hours
2) Make sure there is no card in the card slot
3) Hold the "Volume -" button together with the power button and wait...
Paper Tape
curiosin

I think I also had that problem. I say I think because I got mad for 15 minutes trying everything. A1 was my kid´s gift, he had already opened, he had used and when he went to sleep I took the A1 and... it got blank. After those crazy 15 minutes I hold for 5 seconds the power button and I tap at the same time the "home" button, and then it worked. Do not ask me how, but it came back.

SInce then evrything is OK.

Good luck. I see it is a very good tablet

jlo
Paper Tape
jlo

Had the same problem, no combination of button presses or duration thereof would start the A1. As suggested in another thread, I had to disconnect the battery to revive the tablet.

Found a link to the maintenance manual and and managed to carefully open the back cover as illustrated on page 28 (PDF p33).

Briefly removed the 7-pin battery connector, put it back in, pushed the power button and voila, the A1 lives again.

Leaves me with a rather bad feeling about the product though, I'm not looking forward to go through this procedure every week or so (got the A1 only 6 days ago). Let alone having possibly voided the warranty ...

What's DOS?
yaoyaoyao

I had an issue yesterday when my  a1 displayed 3 characteristics - (1) it wouldn't turn on (2) the area of the back face where I think the battery is located (based on the maintainance manual) was very warm (3) inserting the charger did not turn on the charge light.

I tried the 45 sec/5sec button press combination to no avail. I then tried to remove the back cover but found it harder than imagined so no luck there either. 

I worked under the assumption that it was a battery issue so what i did was leave the tablet until the battery had died, and the portion of the back face that was warm went back to room temperature (about 16 hours). I then charged the tablet and this time the charge light went on (blinking orange) and the display showed 1% charge. I left it overnight to charge and in the morning the tablet turned on with a single press.

I can't explain anything here, just hope it helps someone else.  a1 has been a nice first tablet for me, but I'm finding it a bit fussy with all these turn on issues. 

Fanfold Paper
GAZZATAF

Hi

My wife had the same problem with hers, I did the usual 45 sec button tricks but to no avail, Then plug it ino my laptop via its cable and bobs your uncle it came back to life with 35% power indication.

Hope this helps!

Gazzataf

Punch Card
fKing

happened to me this morning. got to my local coffee bar, sat down to read a kindle book, and...black screen (backlight on).
held the power and volume (up?) button, got to the screen where i could reboot (or set calibration); hit the power and back in business...
jlo
Paper Tape
jlo

yaoyaoyao wrote:

I then tried to remove the back cover but found it harder than imagined so no luck there either. 

I used a piece of plastic like pictured, about 0.5 mm thick.

Insert in the small opening  just above the rotation lock switch, about 2-3 mm deep.

Gently drag counterclockwise, put additional pieces of plastic or cardboard into the opening every now and then so it won't snap back in.

Once you overcome the fear of breaking anything, it actually is rather easy. ;-)

I worked under the assumption that it was a battery issue so what i did was leave the tablet until the battery had died, and the portion of the back face that was warm went back to room temperature (about 16 hours).

Good solution!

I can't remember whether my device had a temperature back then. I found it 'dead' in the morning, so it may have cooled down already but the battery apparently wasn't completely dead.

Anyway, so far the problem did not return, and ever since 2643 the A1 is running pretty solid for me.

What's DOS?
dand94577

I have this issue too.  I already sent into depot one time for a battery replacement..  Warranty expires in August.    It took 3 weeks to get it back from the depot last time.I don't have a lot of time if I have to return again.  Last time I had the problem, I pushed the power button a long time and it came back.  Another time, I had charged it a long time - again had to push the power button a long time before it finally came back on.  I am charging again and hoping that the last method will work again.  It does appear that the battery does not have a long life because I have not used it for a long time.  It should work several hours, not just 20 - 30 minutes.  I am also concerned because I'm not even seeing the battery charging icon on the screen.  Screen is completely blank.  I will check in about 8 hours and see if the recharge works. 

Please advise.  I wish Lenovo would offer a replacement warranty rather than a repair warranty.  3 weeks is too long to wait for a repair.

Any advise?