Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

Re: Android Source Code

[ Edited ]

I've communicated the feedback on U-boot and we are looking into this to confirm the applicability to deliver this - I appreciate your patience as our teams review what has been delivered.

Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

gmarkall
Topics: 6
Kudos: 114
Solutions: 21

Mark,

It seems as if there are a number of files missing that are making it impossible to build the kernel. I have begun a list but it is difficult for me to proceed with making a complete list of what seems to be missing in the absence of the files that I have already discovered. 

So far the missing files that I have been able to tell are:

# arch/Kconfig
# arch/arm/common/Kconfig
# arch/arm/mach-omap2/Kconfig
# arch/arm/plat-omap/Kconfig
# block/Kconfig
# block/Kconfig.iosched
# drivers/pci/Kconfig
# drivers/pcmcia/Kconfig
# kernel/Kconfig.freezer
# kernel/Kconfig.locks
# kernel/gcov/Kconfig
# kernel/time/Kconfig
# scripts/Kbuild.include
# scripts/Makefile.build
# scripts/Makefile.host
# scripts/Makefile.lib
# scripts/basic/Makefile
# scripts/basic/docproc.c
# scripts/kconfig/Makefile
# scripts/kconfig/check.sh
# scripts/kconfig/lkc_proto.h
# scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/check-lxdialog.sh
# scripts/svnversion

- but there's certainly a lot more that I can't work out in the absence of these files.

It should be possible to build the kernel from the source you provide - presently it's not possible. Could you look into this please? 

Punch Card
khanning

Mark,

In addition to the missing files from the A1 source I would like to raise an issue about the Ideapad K1 source code that Lenovo provided.

I have been unable to boot the device with the kernel compiled from the source code. I haven't modified the source code in any way. After compiling my kernel I push it to the K1 using a method I've tested many times with the kernel Lenovo included in the latest OTA update. After pushing my kernel, I reboot the device, after the initial Lenovo logo the screen goes black and the front facing camera LED turns on. The device remains frozen this way until I hold the power button down to power off the device.

I've confirmed that the bootloader is not checking for a signature on the kernel. This indicates that the source code Lenovo provided is either incomplete, or not the current branch. Please communicate this issue to the development team in charge of packaging the source code, and please stress that the source code provided should be tested prior to releasing it.

Thank you

Mark_Lenovo

gmarkall, khanning,

Thanks - I've sent them links to these last two pages of discussion following the update with the A1 link today, and the inquiry on U boot.

Apologies for the additional aggrevation.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Mark_Lenovo

Khanning,

In sharing your comments with a software engineering contact, I was asked to try to find out what tool chain or version of SDK that you are using with the K1.   Appreciate any additional details you can provide.  Thanks!

Graham,

Still working on the A1 issues appreciate your clarification that your list above was specific to the A1.  My contact offered the following....

"Lenovo makes tablets using several different ARM processors including nVidia, Qualcomm and Texas Instruments.

TI selected to base the boot code on an open source package called u-boot and extended it and renamed it x-loader. The other manufactures have used proprietary solutions and in most cases even Lenovo does not have access to that code.

So, TI (and thus A1 tablet) is a unique case of open source boot loader code. We missed this in the rush to make the kernel code available, but will make it available shortly.  Our tablets sometimes contain other open source. For example, there are a couple of GPL packages for the K1. We are currently double checking the A1 for other open source we may have inadvertently missed."

Thanks for your patience on this!

Mark

Mark Hopkins
www.facebook.com/lenovo

Punch Card
khanning

Mark,

Thank you for the response. I've been trying the arm-eabi-4.4.3- toolchain included in the official android ICS branch, from the android NDK, and from the cyanogenmod 9 branch. I have also tried using the latest Code Sourcery Lite arm-eabi toolchain with no success. It would be great if the development team could tell me what toolchain they are using to compile the kernel. 

I'm not using my own branch of android. I'm using the stock 3.2.1 system Lenovo provided with my own compiled kernel from the source provided.

Thank you,

khanning

Serial Port
geoponer

I still cannot understand why the development team of Lenovo cannot provide us with the complete source code for A1 and instead they keep wasting time by removing files and parts from the code that they provide to us, rendering it useless...

Is it so hard to provide us with the full-package, "as-is", without modifying stuff? Why do you keep testing our patience?

I have been a long time Lenovo customer (my latest additions were a G550 laptop and the A1 tablet), but I have to admit that this story has made feel really disappointed by the company in general...

I wouldn't raise a point here if the current setup of A1 was bug-free, but it seems that this nice piece of hardware suffers from a poor implementation of software (e.g. Skype upside down video image, rebooting after upgrading GMaps, GPS driver issue, tablet reboots when charging with WiFi open etc.). There are plenty of eager developers out there who will do miracles with A1 as soon as you provide them with what you are obliged to. Please, respect the customers and provide us with a fully-functional source code for A1; we will be grateful for that.

gmarkall
Topics: 6
Kudos: 114
Solutions: 21

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

Still working on the A1 issues appreciate your clarification that your list above was specific to the A1.  My contact offered the following....

"Lenovo makes tablets using several different ARM processors including nVidia, Qualcomm and Texas Instruments.

TI selected to base the boot code on an open source package called u-boot and extended it and renamed it x-loader. The other manufactures have used proprietary solutions and in most cases even Lenovo does not have access to that code.

So, TI (and thus A1 tablet) is a unique case of open source boot loader code. We missed this in the rush to make the kernel code available, but will make it available shortly.  Our tablets sometimes contain other open source. For example, there are a couple of GPL packages for the K1. We are currently double checking the A1 for other open source we may have inadvertently missed."

Thanks for your patience on this!

I can confirm that my post about missing files was specific to the A1 only.

I've not looked too much at the K1 source. From looking at the K1 OTA packages, it looks to me like U-Boot is not used in the K1 - however, I cannot confirm this for certain as I do not own a K1.

Thanks for looking into the U-Boot issue. I believe that there are two distinct components - U-Boot and X-loader. X-loader is the first stage bootloader, which loads U-Boot, which then goes on to load the Linux kernel. I think that there should be a source release for both U-Boot and X-loader for the A1.

I'd also like to add that I think it's a really great decision that Lenovo made in choosing to use a processor with an open source bootloader for the A1 - it's very nice to be able to have the freedom to develop custom software for the device.

Punch Card
khanning

I've also tried to compile the K1 source code with the arm-eabi-4.4.0 toolchain with the same results. After the "lenovo" logo its frozen on the black screen, and front facing camera led.

Any updates Mark?

Others have confirmed this same behavior when they compiled and tried the kernel so I know its not my setup that's causing the issue.

Thanks

Token Ring
tinybeetle

I'm with geoponer on this one Mark. It makes no sense for Lenovo to not include EVERYTHING software-wise that is installed on the A1 (except maybe the LeTools).  There is nothing revolutionary or even evolutionary about the A1. It is a plain Android 2.3 device. The is no intellectual property Lenovo needs to be concerned about, especially when the A2, or whatever it is being called is ready for shipping. Whatever is in the A1 is already obsolete.
Lenovo, please just release the entire package needed to compile the device. And it would be very helpful if you would identify the complier used.

geoponer wrote:

I still cannot understand why the development team of Lenovo cannot provide us with the complete source code for A1 and instead they keep wasting time by removing files and parts from the code that they provide to us, rendering it useless...