Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
mbrewski
Accepted Solution

Android Source Code (Honeycomb)

[ Edited ]

When will you be releasing the source code for the A1 and K1?

802.11n
sinanju

Re: Android Source Code

[ Edited ]

I called support.  They're clueless.  Sadly, it appears Lenovo thinks that they have no software support responsibility for the tablet at all.  Anything that even sniffs of SW they try to foist off on Google.

I pressed my point that the kernel was Lenovo's responsibility and not Google's and a failure to release the source would be a license violation.  I have no answer, but I do have a case number and a promise that an email has gone back to their SW folks.  I'll give them a week before dropping a line to the FSF.

I suggest anyone interested in this contact Lenovo.

802.11n
sinanju

If Lenovo needs an example of the sort of thing they're legally required to do, here is Motorola's example for their Android-based handsets:

http://sourceforge.net/motorola/wiki/Android/

802.11n
sinanju

I got a call back from a Customer Advocate in NC.  Seems like a nice guy, but not sure about the technology.  We'll see what happens.

Punch Card
khanning

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

I am also interested in this request. Lenovo has released and sold a modified Linux kernel in the forms of the Ideapad A1 and K1. Lenovo has NOT released the source for the modifications it has made. This is a very clear violation of GPL. It seems a company as large as lenovo would understand this? I have send you communications asking for the kernel source code, and received no replies. Lenovo is currently holding part of my property. I am part owner of the modified kernel source code since I have purchased a Lenovo Ideapad K1, and I demand the full product. I am in contact with the Software Freedom Law Center to find the best way to proceed legally. Until Lenovo opens the source code (Something they are legally required to do), I will no longer purchase any Lenovo products, nor will I make any recommendations for Lenovo product.s

Witholding source code is a final black mark in my book.

Please make things right and provide me with the rest of my product.

Thank you

802.11n
sinanju

[ Edited ]

It's been less than two weeks since I made the request and the holidays have been in the middle of that... I'm not overly concerned about the issue just yet.  I sent the Lenovo guy who contacted me a ping to get an update and pointed out that they are also using u-boot.. another GPLed product they'll have to release source for.

Take a deep breath and let's go on the assumption that folks are making their best effort in a large organization that's going to move with all deliberate speed whose employees have spent a fair amount of time home with the family recently.

But, just to keep count, they owe us three things:

1. The kernel
  2. Android, if they've modified it.  It may be that they haven't. It seems pretty vanilla
  3. U-Boot.  It's hard to imagine they haven't had to modify that
Punch Card
yaggermr

Please do the right thing the legal thing and relesse the source code. The K1 has been out for long enough take the steps and release the code.

What's DOS?
SiliconSentry

I agree. Lenovo, I've enjoyed your hardware for years my laptop has never failed me. But you really need to step up on your GPL follow-through with these android tablets. They are good pieces of hardware but you aren't supporting the community when you hold back like you are. Release the source code, like GPL requires you to do.

And it'd be nice if your software repository also had a download of the stock .img files that the tablets take when shipped to store. If I were to sell my IdeaPad or even give it to family etc. I would want to wipe it completly and start from scratch, but there is no available recovery images for the stock and I'm not going to pass a rooted device to a family member who isn't big into computers...

I bought your tablet because I like your brand and I enjoy android and the freedoms that the open source back end brings to portable devices, however with your refusal, or at least unwillingness/non caring attitude, I don't feel like you really feel willing to help your consumers, and I know there are companies out there who would be happy to help if you won't.

Fanfold Paper
jfkerekes

Please releast the source for your modified Android Kernel and for the Bootloader.

Token Ring
Burger

[ Edited ]
i think they are ignoring this thread