Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
jpisini

Re: Android Source Code

While it would be wonderful if Lenovo were to release the code threatening them will most likely only get them to stop talking with the community altogether. Many companies have a policy as soon as a lawyer is mentioned it gets turned over to legal and that is it.
lets try to keep it through valid channels and open support tickets and the like.

802.11n
ricochet_k1

[ Edited ]
I would really appreciate having a user friendly method for recovery. I understand the risks and pitfalls associated with this and am willing to accept responsibility for any modifications I make to my tablet.

All I want is a recovery image for my device. This is what I am truly hoping can be released. Nothing's worse than a device that won't boot, start or run. We all know that that no OS is 100% stable and all hardware eventually fails. I have already come across a number of posts from other users who have not been able to recover their device using an available ROM.

Based on what I know of the GPL, I believe Lenovo is obligated to release modified source code since the program has been made available to the public, however, I've already stated what I'd really like to have above.
Thanks,
Ricochet
The K1_Was Just A Broken Promise Lenovo
Token Ring
Burger

[ Edited ]

To give you an idea whos jerking who.  The asus TF Prime was released  a little a month ago and the complied with they GPL license. Heck they even have the ICS code available which was released 2 weeks ago.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/#download

How come Lenovo whos product was relased 6 months ago cant do the same? are they intentionally holding on the source code release for reasons not beneficial to k1 owners.

Lenovo please comply with the licenses. This is really making you look by intentionally not releasing the Sourcecode and stonewalling. 

802.11n
sinanju

And all of Amazon's products, including the Kindle Fire: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200203720

They're aware of them... I provided links myself when I was called by a Lenovo Customer Advocate back in December.

That they're aware of them and still haven't done anything makes things worse, not better, though.

Token Ring
Burger

[ Edited ]

Well what amazes me is the speed asus relased the code. ICS update for the TF was just released  2 weeks ago. And almost at the same time they have it available.

It speaks alot about the company and how they honor their obligations. The speed that they complied with  really garned =10000 brownie points in my book . And not only that  they  acknowledge issues with their product and offered rebates to owners of  the said affected product.  Another 10000 brownie points!

Lenovo please follow that and honor your obligations. This is already on top of the issues owners are experiencing with your product. On both cases it feels like someone at your end is stonewalling and telling us to suck it up because its the way you do business.

Paper Tape
TippyTurtle

It would be great to see the GPL code for the A1 released.  When I bought this table I assumed Lenovo would be more similar to Asus because of the strong IBM connection in the past.

I am sad to see Lenovo seems to be more similar to LG.  It seems that we will not be seeing the source code until after the A1 is no longer interesting...if ever.  It is sad.  I am still installing and up dating my Motorola Droid and that devices is 3 or 4 years old.  Because if it, I still advocate for Motorola devices even though they keep doing dumb things like locking their boot loaders on newer devices.

Anyway, I strongly beleive Lenovo would sell many more A1's if we had source to build ROM's with...and they would then be able to drive another 100k or more devices off of an old design.  Additionally, I would advocate to my friends and family to buy future Lenovo Android devices because they won't be left out in the cold with an "out of date" device the day they buy it.

I must say one thing very clearly, though...THANK YOU LENOVO FOR NOT LOCKING THE BOOT LOADER OR SYSTEM...you are 1/2 way to a very excited user base.

I really do want to be a strong advocate of Lenovo...they have always built great products.

Punch Card
khanning

What a great forum. My post got deleted, but not the reply post saying that I was "threatening" Lenovo by asking people to contact them to request the source code. I have honestly never been so frustrated with a technology company in my life. I get no response from Customer Service and get silenced in their online p2p forum. You try to do the right thing, and expect the same in return from the manufacturer, but I guess that's to much to ask.

Does Lenovo not understand they are holding my property? The source code is part of my product. The day I purchased the device I became part owner. And it's not a matter of "Oh I'll sell the device and go to another manufacturer", that's not the point. By withholding the source code Lenovo is keeping me from property that I own. I unfortunately don't have extra money to hire a lawyer to help me obtain my property. The Software Freedom Law Center said they have no pull with Lenovo. What a useless piece of garbage the GPL is.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get Lenovo to give us our property?

LENOVO GIVE ME MY SOURCE CODE!!!

802.11n
sinanju

khanning wrote:

Does Lenovo not understand they are holding my property?

Well, not your property, as such, but your point is correct.  Lenovo clearly doesn't understand gratis vs libre. The software they used to build their product is free, yes, but as Stallman puts it: Free like speech, not free like beer.
Just in case Mr. Hopkins is reading.  Here's the relevant portion of the GPL FAQ: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public?

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

So, the day they shipped the first tablet, they became obligated to release the relevant source.

gmarkall
Topics: 6
Kudos: 115
Solutions: 21

Ideapad A1 source code coming soon - hopefully in the next week or so: https://twitter.com/#!/lenovoforums/status/169832583012691968

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

All,

We are working to make the K1 and A1 code available.   We just made the ThinkPad code available today...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-slate-tablets/ThinkPad-Tablet-Source-Code/td-p/681063 

Thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество