Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
leo125
Accepted Solution

Got A1 from CircuitCity - no SD card slot

Dear Lenovo Experts!

I am absolutely new in the field and know nothing. A couple of days ago I got Lenovo A1-07, purchased from Circuit City via Amazon for $199, model 2228. To my greatest surprise, I found out only one SD card slot on its bottom edge. It is located near the micro-USB slot. Another one SD card slot, which I see in the pictures of A1 found in the web, is absent in my model.

When I enter the storage settings, I see the following:

External SD card:

Total space: Unavailable,   Available space: Unavailable

Internal SD card:

Total space: 12.24GB   Available space:  12.24GB

Internal storage:

Available space: 1.64GB

Questions:

1) Does it mean that I cannot add storage to my A1? Is the existing SD slot occupied with a SD card, or it is empty? I have no idea how could I open it.

2) This A1 I bought as a present for my 12 years old son. He is going to use it mainly for games. Will the absence of external SD card hamper seriously the performance of A1 for games? Is it possible to place a bigger (by volume) internal card instead of the existing one?  I am leaving the USA in a couple of days. If I had more time, I would definitely return this product to Circuit City and order a new A1 from Lenovo, since 50$ difference mkes reason for me to compromise on performance.

I would appreciate any comments and advice.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
leo125

Re: Got A1 from CircuitCity - no SD card slot

To make it clear - I am a absolute newcomer in tablets and really understand nothing. I do not actually understand what is the meaning of the "internal SD card"? Is this a card that is physically located in the SD slot near the USB slot (the only one SD slot in my case)? I do not know how to open the slot and to check. Or, maybe, the internal card sits somewhere deep inside the tablet, and the SD slot can be opened and an additional card can be inserted there? Please address this issue in your comments, since this is the key question for me.

Token Ring
tinybeetle

[ Edited ]

The micro SD at the bottom is empty. It will take a 2GB to 32GB card. You need to pull the left edge up a little to open it it is hinged at the right. Aa far as I know no A1s were made without micro SD slots. The internal SD is just an area of device memory. It is not a physical card somewhere. Good luck.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
leo125

Dear Tinybeetle!

Thank you very-very much for your kind comment. I managed (following your instructions) to open the micro-SD slot - it was empty, as you predicted. I entered there the micro-SD card from my mobile phone (2GB), and it was recognized by the tablet! So I can now purchase a larger card, 16 or 32 GB and use it, if necessary.

However, could you be so kind to comment on the absence (in my model) of the second SD slot (likely full size SD), that is located in newer models next to the micro-SD slot, closer to the left corner. What are the advantages of presence of the second SD slot, and should I care about such a difference between my model and the newer ones?

Thank you.

SCSI Port
jsgrandma

Leo, I bought my A1 online directly from Lenovo and it is different than the pictures shown online. There is no second slot on the bottom only the speaker, usb and microsd slot. I think the one pictured on the site may be the one they sold in China. They extra slot may be for a sim card for phone service.

SCSI Port
jsgrandma

I just got mine a week or so a go so I am sure it is the latest one.
Token Ring
tinybeetle

There is no second SD slot on the A1. You may be confusing the speaker slot on the bottom for an SD slot. And as stated, in China they did sell a model with a Sim slot, but not on the USA. There is only one.
SCSI Port
jsgrandma

yep it is a sim card slot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ylWhC_U7M Here is a link to the youtube video. Sorry I still don't know how to make it a clickable link.
SCSI Port
jsgrandma

I was wrong!!! I did make it a link but still don't know how.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
leo125

Dear Tinybeetle and Jsggrandma!

Thank you very much. Now the situation is absolutely clear for me. So 16GB intrinsic (actually 12 of them are available, but it does not matter) plus up to 32GB on the external card - it sounds not bad!

I hope my son will be glad  with such a present.