Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
boeinguy2

Help with IdeaPad K1 internet connectivity

[ Edited ]

I purchased an ideapad K1 at Frys last Friday.  Refurbished for $250.  

I can get the device connected to my wireless network just fine with a 75 MB Connection speed.  However the browser will not load a website of any sort.  Trying to sign into Google Play gives me a server timeout, and I cannot get the proposed update for the Lenovo store to download, nor can I get an account setup.  

I read forum post by the dozens and learned that I should download and install the latest update which I did, manually going to the website and downloading the update to my PC, then transferring to the Download folder on the Ideapad.  Went through the update process and still have the same issues.

I will be trying an idea that came up earlier that the problem may be linked to the fact that my wireless system uses auto settings for Channels.  I will try to find a channel that might stabilize the connection.

Any other ideas?  I have not called tech support yet.  What I have read so far seems to indicate that they are not capable of handling issues like this.

WWAN
mclandytm

Re: Help with IdeaPad K1 internet connectivity

[ Edited ]

My first guess would be that there is something wrong in the network configuration.  The tablet should be set by default to get its IP parameters (address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS server list) from your WiFi router via DHCP.  If those values are not correct, you can be "connected" via WiFi to your router, but still not be able to get to any server on the Internet.  Unfortunately, the standard Settings functions for WiFi do not show all this information.  Tools available from the Market, such as Network Info II, will show it, but it's kind of hard to install it if you can't get your network to work.  You might want to double check the Proxy settings on your tablet under Settings->Wireless & Networks, and make sure that they are set to defaults.  You can at least check your IP address (to see if it seems appropriate) by going to Settings->Wireless & Networks, and tapping on the network to which you are connected under the Wi-Fi Networks list.  You might also want to check the DHCP settings on your router, but I assume you have used other Wi-Fi devices on it, and that they have worked.  Not sure what else to suggest, but network configuration issues seem like the most likely problem.

Update: Just another thought of something you could try.  Go into your router admin screens and find the subnet mask (typically 255.255.255.0), Router/gateway address (typically 192.168.1.1), and DNS server addresses (usually in some status screen for the Internet side of the router) for your home network.  Also, pick an address that is not in use (e.g., 192.168.1.200) to statically assign to your tablet.  Then go into your tablet, go to the Settings->Wireless & Networks, touch on your network and disconnect (Forget), then touch on your network again and select Static under IP settings, and fill in all the required information manually.  Then click on Connect and see if you can get to the Internet.   If so, this indicates that something in the DHCP setup is the problem.

Token Ring
Burger

System/ factory reset.

If it persist, i guess that was the reason why its refurbished. Lol. Btw did you try a router thats 802.11 b or g? At 54mbs? Some reportrd issues with n 150 mbs and above routers.
Paper Tape
boeinguy2

Very interesting. I recently updated my network with a netgear N600 router.
Paper Tape
boeinguy2

I read this somewhere else, but had forgotten. I will try it though.
Paper Tape
boeinguy2

[ Edited ]

Okay, I assigned a static ip.  When I went into the setup on the tablet as you described, I was not able to change the DHCP to Static, the connect button would gray out and not come back on.  I input the static IP, the Gateway, etc, but never got a connect button.  So I wnet back to DHCP and the Static IP address was assigned as setup on the router.

I have had the browser open for several minutes now tryiong to connect to google.com and got a "web page not available" screen.

Note:  I did get some of MSN to load! Just the text, no images.  But it is loading terribly slow.  Is that partiual success?  How do I speed it up?

WWAN
mclandytm

boeinguy2 wrote:

Okay, I assigned a static ip.  When I went into the setup on the tablet as you described, I was not able to change the DHCP to Static, the connect button would gray out and not come back on.  I input the static IP, the Gateway, etc, but never got a connect button.  So I wnet back to DHCP and the Static IP address was assigned as setup on the router.

I have had the browser open for several minutes now tryiong to connect to google.com and got a "web page not available" screen.

Note:  I did get some of MSN to load!  But it is loading terribly slow.  Is that partiual success?  How do I speed it up?

Interesting.  So if you were getting something (anything) to load, you probably have the right IP configuration, and perhaps the problem is a flaky connection (for example, router/tablet having to do a lot of packet retransmits).  Causes could include network congestion, especially if you have a lot of active Wi-Fi devices, or have a neighbor who's router is on the same channel.  But if this were the case, it seems like you would probably be having issues with other Wi-Fi devices in your home.

If you can get anything to download via Android Market/Google Play, you might want to get WiFi Analyzer.  It will show you all the local WiFi networks, their signal strengths, and channels, and recommend the best channel (least interference) for you to use.  There is a free Windows PC equivalent program called "Inssider" from Metageek that shows the same info.

I know that some people have had problems with certain routers dropping the connection when heavily loaded. Can you tell if the connection is dropping?  I have a Linksys N router 300 (E3000), and it seems to work fine, getting consistent connection 56-72 Mbps. 

By the way, when setting up Static IP, you do actually have to type something in each field (even though it looks like there is something there already) to get the Connect button to become active.  The Network Prefix Length refers to how many bits in the subnet mask apply, which for 255.255.255.0 is the first 3 bytes, or 24 bits.

Paper Tape
boeinguy2

mclandytm wrote:

boeinguy2 wrote:

Note:  I did get some of MSN to load!  But it is loading terribly slow.  Is that partiual success?  How do I speed it up?

Interesting.  So if you were getting something (anything) to load, you probably have the right IP configuration, and perhaps the problem is a flaky connection (for example, router/tablet having to do a lot of packet retransmits).  Causes could include network congestion, especially if you have a lot of active Wi-Fi devices, or have a neighbor who's router is on the same channel.  But if this were the case, it seems like you would probably be having issues with other Wi-Fi devices in your home.

If you can get anything to download via Android Market/Google Play, you might want to get WiFi Analyzer.  It will show you all the local WiFi networks, their signal strengths, and channels, and recommend the best channel (least interference) for you to use.  There is a free Windows PC equivalent program called "Inssider" from Metageek that shows the same info.

I know that some people have had problems with certain routers dropping the connection when heavily loaded. Can you tell if the connection is dropping?  I have a Linksys N router 300 (E3000), and it seems to work fine, getting consistent connection 56-72 Mbps. 

By the way, when setting up Static IP, you do actually have to type something in each field (even though it looks like there is something there already) to get the Connect button to become active.  The Network Prefix Length refers to how many bits in the subnet mask apply, which for 255.255.255.0 is the first 3 bytes, or 24 bits.

So I was up getting ready fpor work.  No other equipment is accessing the internet now, and suddenly I have been able to log into the Lenovo store and into Google Play.

To finish setting the IP on the device, I can type everything in.  What is DNS1 and DNS2?  Have not seen these before.

Blue Screen Again
mcgam2000

Hello:
Your last comment indicates to me something in your area is taking all of your bandwidth. Either your neighbor or as someone else said the neighbor,s wifi is the same as yours and causing problems. Go to some place that has free wifi and see if you have the same problems. If everything works well there, your home wifi is causing the problem when loaded up...
Paper Tape
boeinguy2

First, The goodness lasted about 60 minutes before things began slowing down.  I was still the only up so no one else in my house was running anything

Second, I have Comcast sp should have plenty of bandwidth (15-20 Mb/sec)

Finally, If I discover that it is a conflict, what can I do?  I do not have this issue with a pandigital novel I have loaded an updated version of android on.  It has no trouble getting network time or bandwidth issues or interference working in exactly the same locations in my house as the ones I have been using with the Lenovo.