Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
redddog

Hey, where does everyone download movies?

Got my son a K1 for Christmas and we're taking a road-trip. I want to DL some movies for him.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to DL movies that doesn't require streaming?

Thanks gang.

Token Ring
Clear_Blue_Lou

Re: Hey, where does everyone download movies?

It's not downloading, but I have a TV card in my Win7 desktop, so I use Windows Media to PVR movies off cable, then convert the WTV files to MPG or AVI with a free converter app, then drag them onto the K1 using the data cable and Windows Explorer.

I expect you could do much the same with DVDs you've purchased.

The above are perfectly legal - at least as long as you don't share the files around and cost the big media consortiums a sale.

A somewhat less legal way would be downloading movies through a Bit Torrent tracker.
Token Ring
Burger

Try outpostech.com
802.11n
sinanju

From my HD TiVo

What's DOS?
riksworld

You can watch and download all genres movies in this site.

http://www.tvmovieplanet.com/

Punch Card
spuchacz

Google Movies let you watch movies on-line and offline.  If you download, you have 30 days to watch and once you watch you can continue to watch for 48 hours.

Paper Tape
RLYMN

Clear_Blue_Lou wrote:
It's not downloading, but I have a TV card in my Win7 desktop, so I use Windows Media to PVR movies off cable, then convert the WTV files to MPG or AVI with a free converter app, then drag them onto the K1 using the data cable and Windows Explorer.

I expect you could do much the same with DVDs you've purchased.

The above are perfectly legal - at least as long as you don't share the files around and cost the big media consortiums a sale.

A somewhat less legal way would be downloading movies through a Bit Torrent tracker.

Hey Clear_Blue_Lou, not trying to start a flame post in any way.

Just to point out an interesting tidbit of law. While copyright law allows you to keep a digital copy of any work you have purchased legally, international encryption laws make it illegal to convert from a DVD to digital file.This is because all DVDs are encrypted and you have to break the encryption to rip the dvd.

One of those "danged if you do, danged if you don't" scenarios.

Token Ring
Clear_Blue_Lou

RLYMN wrote:

Just to point out an interesting tidbit of law. While copyright law allows you to keep a digital copy of any work you have purchased legally, international encryption laws make it illegal to convert from a DVD to digital file.This is because all DVDs are encrypted and you have to break the encryption to rip the dvd.

Thanks for pointing that out RLYMN. I'm Canadian, and I forgot that the US is saddled with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which is what I believe you're referring to.

AFAIK we haven't passed a law like that in Canada yet (though the current Conservative government keeps trying). If we buy it we can break it, so long as we don't spread the copies around. Our gov't chose instead to add an extra tax on blank CDs, DVDs and other recording medium.

Token Ring
Clear_Blue_Lou

Clear_Blue_Lou wrote:

AFAIK we haven't passed a law like that in Canada yet (though the current Conservative government keeps trying).

Oops, I spoke too soon. It seems that, over the objections of everybody except the big media cartels, Canada just passed a watered-down version of the DMCA. We will have digital locks, though making backups is still allowed. And for the time being at least, we continue to avoid website blocking, three strikes systems, or notice-and-takedown measures.

Time to call my MP.