Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
walter1313

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Ideapad K1

As far as I know, IBM never OWNED Lenovo, but owned about 20% of it, and partnered with them to manufacture certain lines of their products.

Some time around the mid 2000's, Lenovo acquired IBM's personal computing division.  That resulted in IBM acquiring the 20%.  IBM continued to market the products under the Lenovo brand.  If anyone is old enough to remember, IBM be called IBM computers, then suddenly changed the name to Lenovo.  As IBM continued to do the marketing and support, people just viewed it as IBM products.  IBM properly supported the products as their name was behind it.

They (IBM) began divesting themselves from Lenovo to the point that they were completely out of it by 2010 (or a little before).

So now IBM is IBM and Lenovo is Lenovo.  So now, in a word, Lenovo support and communication S U C K S.

I'm NOT a fanboy of Apple (the only Apple product I own are iPads), but I will say this -

As much as many people complain about Apple's sometime attitude about their customers, their overall support and communication are light years ahead of Lenovo, so I can see how people get hooked on Apple products.  For Apple, you can see that the total customer experience is at least more important to them than to Lenovo.

Lenovo places so much effort into their enterprise products, such as the Thinkpads, they don't realize that poor support of consumer lines such as the Ideapad results in lost sales of the higher end products (such as the lost sales of the 15 Thinkspads I was looking at).

SCSI Port
st_albert

walter1313 wrote:

As far as I know, IBM never OWNED Lenovo, but owned about 20% of it, and partnered with them to manufacture certain lines of their products.

Some time around the mid 2000's, Lenovo acquired IBM's personal computing division.  That resulted in IBM acquiring the 20%.  IBM continued to market the products under the Lenovo brand.  If anyone is old enough to remember, IBM be called IBM computers, then suddenly changed the name to Lenovo.  As IBM continued to do the marketing and support, people just viewed it as IBM products.  IBM properly supported the products as their name was behind it.

They (IBM) began divesting themselves from Lenovo to the point that they were completely out of it by 2010 (or a little before).

So now IBM is IBM and Lenovo is Lenovo.  So now, in a word, Lenovo support and communication S U C K S.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Lenovo is not used to dealing with end-user customer support, and is having to scramble to adjust to a whole new world (to them). 

Before I retired, I worked for a company that mostly sold materials to other manufacturers.  All of our tech service and support (which was World-class in our industry)  was oriented towards solving the problems that downstream manufacturers encountered while processing our products.  In the few times we ventured to sell directly to consumers, we found it was a whole different ball game in terms of customer support.  We got spanked badly.

I hope Lenovo can get their act together. 

What's DOS?
djsat03

[ALPHA][ROM] Ideapad K1 ICS CM9 Kang Relased !!

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19886-alpharom-ideapad-k1-ics-cm9-kang/

Token Ring
Burger

Great news! Thanks khanning!
Token Ring
aleafonthewind

Anyone who installs this ROM:

I'm interested in how it feels. Please report, it'd be much appreciated.

Fanfold Paper
sun4all

they better do it fast... i am at the edge of dumping K1 and go with the new iPad. Lenovo pls don't let your users down. Live up to your reputation. 

Paper Tape
hoser33

This is absolutely unacceptable. I purchased this tablet with the expressed intent that an ICS update was forthcoming.

You want me to talk to Google? What's Google going to do? They don't control what goes on the tablet. Lenovo does.

This is the last Lenovo product I buy.

This is a complete load of crap.

Punch Card
kuteguy

I have exactly the same sentiment as above. I ONLY bought this tablet because Lenovo's official website said that this tablet would be getting ICS in May.

I would be happy to take part and financially contribute to any legal class suit that gets initiated against Lenovo for their false advertising if ICS does not materialise by May (or thereabouts).

The most lenovo can do to have a compromise would be to release their source code to CM .. let people who know better make it work if Lenovo can't

I have worked for IBM for 12 years and ALWAYS recommended their laptops as the best in the world. No more ..  I will never ever ever recommend a lenovo product to anyone. And Google - I am a little disappointed in you that you let such things happen. This would never happen in the Apple world.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
nklemens

I agree 100 % and would join in too. The reason I bought mine as well was Lenovo stated ICS was coming in May. This is very disappointing!
Paper Tape
hoser33

I just tweeted something to Lenovo and recieved a response.

Does anyone have a screencap of the page where Lenovo confirms the CS upgrade? (I know it's unlikely, but what the heck)