Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
MtlPjn

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Ideapad K1

anyone have a working ics K1 since Mark took down the update? could you post instructions or/and youtube video?
Punch Card
yaggermr

mjb32803 wrote:

You can download the latest GAPPS for ICS with this link

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

There some previous posts that link to an outdated file.  That one should work, but why not use the latest.

I am going to try flashing the ROM and GAPPS using CWM recover.  Will report back.  Yes I am already rooted.  Guess I might loose that... but oh well

I pretty sure cwm recovery will be gone once you flash the new rom

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,337
Solutions: 288

[ Edited ]

All,

I'll put this back since everyone is circulating the links now anyway sans instructions and disclaimers.

I removed those as I want to be sure people read the content.  If you have set up your own links on this, I would request that you share those privately and with appropriate advisories.

See Here

I've emphasized the points on this so there will be no confusion, and added a couple of words to clarify why it is not easy to simply add google play.   Please read and understand the limitations of this release and consider carefully if you are ready to install it now, or if you want to wait a few days until the community works out a proceedure for Google play and any other unforeseen limitations which may arise.

We will work to make available download links for the source, with which I'm sure the developers can take full advantage of.   I hope to have that available as soon as Monday.

We will also work on making a download to recover back to HoneyComb via the same general process available as soon as possible.  

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
estar0v

gmarkall wrote:

As some people have already noticed, there's much more to the Play Store than just the APK - I believe the following steps should be used to sideload the Play Store and other Google Apps (disclaimer: I don't own a K1 so haven't been able to test this):

1. Download http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip

2. Copy the file to an sd card, and rename it to update.zip

3. Power off the K1 and insert the SD card.

4. Boot up into recovery mode (press and release power, then hold volume up, I think)

5. The tablet will boot into recovery mode - it should detect the update.zip and whilst it is installing, show a progress bar.

6. When the installation finishes, a green tick will be shown and the device will power off.

7. Remove the SD card and power on.

If anyone could try these and report on whether this procedure works (or any refinements to these instructions) I'd be really grateful. If you have problems with these instructions, please post back which steps you managed to do, and a description of the problem that occurred. 

Please remove your post. There are many inexperience users coming to this forum from google search and they should not be following your instructions, ESPECIALLY since you do not actually own a K1. GApps package is designed for custom roms with custom kernels like CyanogenMod and AOKP. However unlikely, trying to flash GApps over something like this is dangerous and could very well result in people bricking their tablet and of course Lenovo would get the blame.

Fanfold Paper
mjb32803

I had no joy flashing this via CWM, going to try the instruction next
Token Ring
aleafonthewind

Due to the presence of APX mode, it is not possible to brick your tablet in this manner.

The GApps package should install fine. However, I do side with estar0v when he says that noone except experienced Android users should try this.

SCSI Port
pnrcomps

[ Edited ]

Cybie257 wrote:

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

pnrcomps,

Working on that as I noted earlier.    I could have held up until that was available for everyone, but that would have taken another couple of days and everyone seemed really focused on getting the release.  

I'm pulling this back for now until we have the Honeycomb file available so customers can easily swap back.

Thanks

Mark

Just can't win, can ya Mark? It was clearly stated that this is a vanilla release without any guarantees. Although I don't have anything other than the basic ICS working, I'm happy with the results.

now, I am challenged to find a fix (if not already found later in this thread. :-)

Either way, Mark, I am happy that you allowed us to download this image. Don't worry about those who are complaining. Some never will stop and those who didn't want to take a chance, should've held off for those who did and listened. I'm referring to those who can 'live without' their tablet. Anytime you do a NON-OTA custom update, a person needs to know that something likely won't work. It was told that the market wouldn't and those who don't understand why, are those who will cry about a 'now useless' tablet. Interesting, isn't it, before you allowed the D/L of the ICS image, their tablets were claimed useless already. LoL.

Anyhow, thanks again Mark for getting this out today. I haven't checked the link, so I don't know if it's up or down, but either way, I am glad I made that change. It's not a learning experience to get things setup and I love challenges!!!

-Cybie

Cybie, I was not complaining, stating a fact that they better get it out(the restore image) i for one am working with the ICS tablet and am happy it came out, BUT it would have been nice to know it wasnt just the play store but the whole thing that was missing from the image, this isnt just a vanilla upgrade, its a core o/s with drivers, not fully functioning. I will add that i AM surprised that it took lenovo this long to get this plane jane OS out, but am happy its here and we can move forward.

Punch Card
khanning

Hi all,

I just got home from work and saw the update. I will have a stock ICS rom with gapps both with and without root uploaded very shortly. 

Regards.

khanning

Token Ring
aleafonthewind

[ Edited ]

Haha, faithful community! This is why Android is da best!

>all of my kudos

Go Khanning!

SCSI Port
pnrcomps

this is what its all about the forums are a tool not a venting source, now the real fun begins :smileytongue: