Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
The_Law

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Ideapad K1

From the Lenovo K1 Mexico page (link was posted earlier in this thread, and I saved the page):  http://min.us/mArc8Smd9

Punch Card
callback79

[ Edited ]

hoser33 wrote:

I just tweeted something to Lenovo and recieved a response.

Does anyone have a screencap of the page where Lenovo confirms the CS upgrade? (I know it's unlikely, but what the heck)

I have the banner without CSS (from Google's cache) at home. How can it be useful ?

Paper Tape
hoser33

I've been corresponding with someone on the Lenovo Social Media Support team, who I think has been open to a lot of the feedback on the forum. Actions speak louder than words, but it's a start- and we need to start somewhere.

I don't think I'm an impossible to please geek who'll complain about everything.

That said- speaking entirely for myself- the tablet is a 2-3 year investment and it's important that the software upgrade is a part of that package. Sure, I don't expect every iteration of Android to be available, but considering the significance of the ICS update and the fact it the K1 was launched just prior to its release makes the lack of an ICS upgrade (especially after it's been promised) a point of contention for me.

In short- it makes me feel like Lenovo has my money and has no desire to provide support for me moving forward. Now, if Android 5.0 comes out in 12 months and that's not supported, maybe I don't feel as strongly about it. But for now, considering porting ICS over to the K1 isn't a monumental job- I think it's something that would provide great value.

Tablets aren't like phones. They're not subsided by carriers. They're more like PCs, where the expectation is that new hardware will support at least one or two major OS upgrades over the life of the device.

We need to keep the pressure on Lenovo to make sure they understand our frustration and how important it is for them to come through for us. It's unrealistic for Lenovo to expect us to continue supporting their products when they don't support those of us who have invested in them.

Punch Card
rsbusta

According to lenovo Mexico ICS will be available in May 2012 here's the link
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/mxweb/LenovoPortal/es_MX/catalog.workflow:category.d...
Punch Card
walter1313

I am not expecting perpetual updates as well (even though Android is, in theory, open source).

I have iPads for my business, and own a Galaxy Tab for my personal use (along with the K1 for my daughter).  Awhile ago, Samsung stated they would NOT be updating slightly older tabs (Galaxy Tab 7, for example - I have the 7+) because of resource issues (memory and processor cannot handle Samsungs UI skin along with 4.0), but they stated which tabs were getting it and when through official channels.

At the time, Lenovo said NOTHING when everyone else was announcing which, if any, products were getting ICS.  FINALLY, there were middling reports (most from countries outside US announcing the Thinkpad line would get it, but nothing about the Ideapads.  Then, again outside the US, comes word that the Ideapads will be getting it as well.

It shows up (even on the US site on the product page), only to be pulled back (and yet still show up on product pages outside the U.S.  AGAIN, no official word from Lenovo on the why or why not, or even if/if not and when.

THAT is what I find disturbing.  Customers cannot get a straight answer even if they can get any answer at all, let alone any information.

I DON'T expect perptual  updates - especiall 5.0 (Jelly Bean), but I see no reason

1.  Why NOT 4.0 as the hardware is fully capable of handling ICS plus just about any skin Lenovo decides to put over it.

2.  The product was introduced when ICS was already being rolled out

3.  There are people who purchased the K1 with the expectation that ICS would be rolled out BASED ON LENOVO'S OWN WORDS AND PRODUCT PAGE

It only shows Lenovo's lack of understanding of how important service, support, and communication is, not just for existing products, but future products as well.  Across this forum, they already have countless individuals stating they will not purchase a Lenovo product in the future because of the lack of integrity on Lenovo's part.  I can be counted among them as they lost the sale of 15 Thinkpad tabs I was contemplating to replace the 10 iPads I currently use in my business.

Additionally, they are losing peripheral business as I am recommending against Lenovo products to my business colleagues and friends because of this issue.  In the business environment, I don't have the time to "piddle" with my computer to get it to work, so support is a BIG issue. 

I am not going to invest in equipment that will lose support in just a few months.  Other companies will support their products properly even when the products have been discontinued.  Apple and Samsung are two companies that do.  They are not perfect and without issues (the famous "death grip" debacle with the iPhone, for example), but they are still light years ahead of Lenovo at this point.

Case in point beside the ICS issue:

They have yet make available a USB Host cable (Samsung came out with theirs months ago).

If you lose/break the USB data cable, you are out of luck - you can't even get one from Lenovo, let alone from any aftermarket source.

Punch Card
tburkett

walter1313,

I agree with your assessment 100%....

Punch Card
jagoose

oh, not just the usb host cable. they even stopped manufacturing the power adaptor already.

Paper Tape
bryansworld

Hey Guys,

Just want to join in late in the discussion. So I've been peeved with this whole "upgrade to Android 4" issue (since it being able to be upgraded to Android 4 was why I bought it) so I decided to call Lenovo and complain.

After being directed to 4 different numbers, and half an hour later, I was told that there was going to be a release of Android 4 on the K1!!!!!

I'm holding them to this...

If they deliver on this, my confidence is back on Lenovo :smileyhappy:

What's DOS?
skaval24

I am writing from Zambia in Africa. I bought the 64gb 3g version being sold here. And the reason i bought this is mainly the promised upgrade to ics. I spent usd 716 in luding taxes. Lenovo should come out and confirm if no upgrade so i can take this back and pre-order Asus. Crap even ipad 3 if google is not able to provide updates on these tablets.

So far i love this tablet. I only unboxed yesterday and already have all the apps i need.

Only issue i noticed is that when i run the system check, am not getting the 3.2 update. Why no long press for numerics and other symbols?

Hope above post is for real.
Punch Card
callback79

bryansworld wrote:

Hey Guys,

Just want to join in late in the discussion. So I've been peeved with this whole "upgrade to Android 4" issue (since it being able to be upgraded to Android 4 was why I bought it) so I decided to call Lenovo and complain.

After being directed to 4 different numbers, and half an hour later, I was told that there was going to be a release of Android 4 on the K1!!!!!

I'm holding them to this...

If they deliver on this, my confidence is back on Lenovo :smileyhappy:

I don't have problems with the tablet, but the false advertising about ICS, the USB thing, the Source code issue, the dock sold without charger...it seems we can't buy extra power adapter, hope it will not fail soon..All that really kills my confidence on Lenovo.

It will be a fantastic tablet with happy customers if they just don't let us down without services.

The guy from Lenovo confirmed this morning that ICS is not planned for the moment for K1. In my mind, if it is not planned NOW, it will never be available. They will not start working on ICS when other tablets will be on Jelly Bean.

Where's Mark ????????????