Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
jhzafrani
Accepted Solution

Initial issues with the IdeaPad K1

[ Edited ]

Just got my IdeaPad K1 today and I have to say that I am a little disappointed. Here are my issues:

1. For a device that is "Netflix" Certified, why is it shipped without the NetFlix app? 

2. Trying to do a system update results in the settings app crashing. 

3. I keep on getting a notification that there is an update to the App Shop but when clicking on the update, it spins for a little (Preparing)  and comes back to the main home screen. 

4. The stock launcher, once connected to a corporate account that requires security changes, keeps on crashing. Installing a different launcher (Launcher Pro) resolves the issue. 

I hope that someone from Lenovo monitors this forum... 

Jim

Fanfold Paper
Silrocco

Re: Major Issues with the IdeaPad K1

[ Edited ]

I got mine on Saturday the 23rd and I'm also not satisfied with out of the box  issues:

1. Did not come pre-loaded with "Netflix". :manmad:
  2. Random reboots! :manmad:
  3. Sometime it does not "Wake-Up" from "Sleep Mode".
  4. Sometime it does not respond when trying to unlock from a "Wake-Up". Today it took 4 attempts to unlock it from "Sleep Mode".

Update: I got a call back from lenovo customer support today. They said by updating to a new Honeycomb 3.1 it will resolve all my issues. That is correct, I updated and now it's love again with this awesome tablet. Beside, the representative was very friendly and helpful, great customer service!!!:smileyvery-happy:

SCSI Port
DUTCHvanAtlanta

[ Edited ]

Keep us posted on how you make out with these.  Looks like Lenovo pushed a little too hard to get these out fast - before they were completely ready for prime time..

What's DOS?
jhzafrani

Sadly, I had to return it. While it worked okay with a different launcher, that kind of defeted the purpose. I'll wait a couple of months before trying it again. 

Fanfold Paper
Silrocco

I'm sorry to read that you had to return your K1 jhzafrani. Well, we're only in 2Q and with many more tablet being release for 3Qyou may find a tablet that works for you. Good luck!

What's DOS?
jhzafrani

Thanks. I have gone through every single one out there (you name it, I have had it for) and have returned all of them with the exception of the HTC Flyer (which I don't look at as being a full size tablet). The main issues are operability. It does not seem like anyone has a tablet that just works. Every manufacturer adds their own software layer on top of Android which slows them down and makes them un-usable. 

The other issue is that none of them compare to the small macbook air (11inch) that I have. When you compare the Air to tablets (including the iPad), you get a lot more with it than you do from a tablet. Granted, it costs more but at $849 (refurbished), it is very close to the price of a 64gb tablet with keyboard. 

I am not giving up, however, and waiting to see what else is coming out. 

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

All,

Thanks for the feedback.  We will try to keep on top of the issues and updates.  

We captured some of the update proceedures as shared by the call center in a KB article here in the forum - update for netflix.   If you have troubles, please give this a try.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
SCSI Port
DUTCHvanAtlanta

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

All,

Thanks for the feedback.  We will try to keep on top of the issues and updates.  

We captured some of the update proceedures as shared by the call center in a KB article here in the forum - update for netflix.   If you have troubles, please give this a try.

Best regards,

Mark

Wow!  To update the K1 Tablet syatem, you will erase all customer's data?!??!!  That's not a very friendly way to update the system.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

K1 Features and updates

Dutch,

This particular update is perhaps a bit unique in that it amounts to a complete re-image / re-load of the system.   There is also a system reset function built in that does much the same as Rescue and Recovery on the ThinkPad or One Key Recovery on the IdeaPad laptops in offering an option to wipe everything and return to clean factory new condition.

I would expect future routine updates would be transparent and include minor function enhancements just as with apps.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
dyates9770

Re: K1 Features and updates

Are you hearing of wireless signal strength issues as a common complaint? I posted in another topic related specifically to n connectivity issues, but my concern is a lack of strength for all 802.11 types. If I can't get a consistent signal, I will have to return it as well.