Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WWAN
mclandytm

K1: Serious technical/logistic discussion of ICS upgrade

[ Edited ]

With the availability of the ICS upgrade for K1 being (hopefully) imminent, I thought it might be wise to create a new thread for those who are serious about sharing real information on the technical and logistic aspects of applying the upgrade, and their experiences with the upgrade and the new OS.

Or, stated another way, if you want to complain about Lenovo and their support and why they haven't released it sooner (and, believe me, I'm not trying to say that such complaints aren't justified), then please feel free to continue venting in the existing thread on ICS for K1.

Please respect the intent of this thread, and try to post only real, validated, useful information, and keep the side discussions to a minimum.  I'm sure there are several other users out there who would also be very appreciative of your cooperation in this regard.

Token Ring
Clear_Blue_Lou

Re: K1: Serious technical/logistic discussion of ICS upgrade

The manual is online for the new Ideapad S2 tablet with ICS. It may be of interest to readers of this thread because it offers plenty of screenshots that give us an idea of what ICS will look like on the K1:

S2 Manual

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Clear_Blue_Lou,

Be careful with that assumption.  The S2109 and S2110 tablets that would ship with ICS were designed and intended with a full Lenovo ICS image and likely contain apps, launcher, etc (I've not played with one yet).

ICS for the K1 is a plain version - not customized and will not contain the apps that came with it under HoneyComb.  I've noted this burried in my other comments in the other thread.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
WWAN
mclandytm

Clear_Blue_Lou, thanks for the pointer.  Not terribly different, but certainly a more "sleek" look to some of the built-in apps. 

One of the things I'm hoping for with ICS is better app compatibility - there are a number of apps right now that "should" be fine on the K1 with HC, but Google Play doesn't show them, and online in a browser they show as incompatible with the K1.  And that's even though they are supposedly tablet-ready and support ICS. 

WWAN
mclandytm

Mark, noted and I've seen your comments on this before, so I take the S2 manual with a "grain of salt". Thanks!
Token Ring
Clear_Blue_Lou

Thanks, Mark, for the reminder that the ICS release for the K1 will be bare bones - no bundled apps, no Launch Zone, no speech-bubble-wheel-launcher-thing etc.

Except for one or two related to the S2's bundled apps, the screenshots I linked to appear to be stock ICS, right down to the Roboto type font.

But we won't know for sure until ICS for the K1 arrives.

Punch Card
Surgeman

Mark, what is your best guess about the date for the release of ICS for the K1?
SCSI Port
fredsmith219

I've got a Galaxy Nexus, which is "Bare Bones" ICS. Quite frankly, it's fantastic. I can't wait to see this OS on my K1. The thing I really love about the Lenovo-flavor of HC is the "kill task" red x right on the task list popup. I was bummed that it wouldn't be in ICS since there are no Lenovo customizations, but I'm happy to report that ICS has implemented that same thing. The only difference is you touch a task and "throw it away" by swiping to the right or left, and the task is killed. It's also smart enough not to kill any background services associated with the task. I.E., if you kill the gmail task, the sync service is not killed with it. In other words, it has the same functionality as the K1 "red x", the UI is just a bit different. I wonder if someone on the Android team had a K1 and decided that they liked that feature. 

WWAN
mclandytm

fredsmith219 wrote:

I've got a Galaxy Nexus, which is "Bare Bones" ICS. Quite frankly, it's fantastic. I can't wait to see this OS on my K1.

I understand that the native browser on ICS is quite a bit better, plus you can use the Chrome beta on ICS as well.  Do you have any comments/observations about the "browsing experience" on ICS?

SCSI Port
fredsmith219

The browsing experience is excellent with both the stock browser and Chrome. I switch between the two quite a bit. What is neat about Chrome is that it syncs your bookmarks, but still has a spot for "mobile" bookmarks, which makes sense. It will also load the tabs from your desktop chrome into your device if you want. It's like "Chrome to Phone", only automatic. I'm really looking forward to having Chrome on the tablet, it will be very close to the desktop browsing experience (minus flash).