Support in other languages: 
SCSI Port
oetbyg

K1 - Using the USB Host Connector

[ Edited ]

Using the USB host adapter and thumb drives with some file managers on the K1:

[K1 preloaded] File Mgmt. -
Couldn't find the USB memory. It also couldn't find a micro sd card in the side slot. Has someone else had success with this?

File Manager HD -

USB memory shows under the Storage Shortcut (upper left corner of screen). However, if a micro sd card is also in the K1, either that or the usbdrive shows. I've seen it either way, and I haven't been able to find the other. In any case, the "Up" button will show storage items including  usbdrive.

Dual File Manager XT -
Click "back arrow" (screen lower left) to see all drives.

AntTek Explorer -

Click on "mnt", then select usbdrive, or click "back arrow" as above.

I've had to reboot a few times in the midst of trying different apps and different USB memory devices. I haven't figured out a pattern. Most of the time things just work. I try to remember to unmount drives before unplugging them.

SCSI Port
oetbyg

Re: K1 - Using the USB Connector

Some other hardware that works with the USB host connector:

Garmin nuvi 1490T -

not something I'd do much work with the K1, but I do want to copy and backup track-log files from the nuvi with the K1. Connect via USB cable, wait for nuvi to go into USB mode, then the file system is available as usbdrive. However, if you have a micro SD card in the Garmin, that will show up as the usbdrive rather than the built-in memory. Eject the micro SD before connecting.

Generic USB hub -
Worked fine. I then plugged in a usb mouse and usb keyboard. They worked.
I tried the hub and 2 thumb drives. Only the first one seen is available. I had wondered about copying from a camera card/usb adapter to thumb drive, but that won't work.

Paper Tape
905jay

Re: K1 - Using the USB Host Connector

oetbyg wrote:

Couldn't find the USB memory. It also couldn't find a micro sd card in the side slot. Has someone else had success with this?

File Manager HD -

USB memory shows under the Storage Shortcut (upper left corner of screen). However, if a micro sd card is also in the K1, either that or the usbdrive shows. I've seen it either way, and I haven't been able to find the other. In any case, the "Up" button will show storage items including  usbdrive.

Dual File Manager XT -
Click "back arrow" (screen lower left) to see all drives.

AntTek Explorer -

Click on "mnt", then select usbdrive, or click "back arrow" as above.

I've had to reboot a few times in the midst of trying different apps and different USB memory devices. I haven't figured out a pattern. Most of the time things just work. I try to remember to unmount drives before unplugging them.

is this the UBS cable that comes in the box you are talking about? How can yo attatch a usb flash drive to it? do you need a USB-A Female to Female  adapter such as this? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Comprehensive-USB-A-Female-To-A-Female-Adapter/20582969?srccode=cii_932456...

SCSI Port
oetbyg

is this the UBS cable that comes in the box you are talking about? How can yo attatch a usb flash drive to it? do you need a USB-A Female to Female  adapter such as this? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Comprehensive-USB-A-Female-To-A-Female-Adapter/20582969?srccode=cii_932456...

No!.A gender changer won't work.

The cable required is a USB host cable that has been the subject of a months' long discussion in this topic. Search Lenovo accessories for part number 0B65411 for the USB host connector.

Lenovo has begun making them available in the U.S. According to an item on page 46, post #453, Canada is supposed to be able order them soon. Good luck.

Token Ring
Clear_Blue_Lou

oetbyg wrote:

No, the File Mgmt app that comes pre-loaded with the K1 doesn't seem to acknowledge directories other than \mnt\sdcard (the onboard non-removable storage). Dump it and move on to another. I like Astro myself.

Punch Card
ronydandjanyd

I have no issues using the File Mgmt app.

These are the directories I use:

to find content in the sd card: external_sd
to find content in a plugged USB: external_usb

Again, I've had zero issues getting those 2 directories to work. Make sure you follow the steps to mount and unmount correctly, it will work.
SCSI Port
oetbyg

ronydandjanyd:

Thanks. I hadn't searched down the list of 'folders' to find them. The file structure is presented a bit differently from the other managers I usually use.

Token Ring
Clear_Blue_Lou

ronydandjanyd wrote:

to find content in the sd card: external_sd
to find content in a plugged USB: external_usb 

Yes, if I'm not mistaken, /mnt/sdcard/external_sd and /mnt/sdcard/external_usb are Linux symlinks (symbolic links, like Mac aliases or Windows shortcuts) which point to the true file locations at /mnt/sdcard2 and /mnt/usbdrive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I personally feel safer using the actual file locations, but maybe I'm just being foolish.