Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
jaypuck

K1 - Won't Power On, Been Repaired Once

I purchased my fiancee a 32gb K1 for Christmas, and sometime in January it simply would not turn on. Tried everything I could think of (power button for 10, 20, 30, hooking up via USB, etc). She called Lenovo and they had her send the unit in for repair. I work in tech support for the consumer electronics industry so I know sometimes things happen, no big deal. Not happy about having a 1 month old Tablet repaired, but hey, its better than being out of a tablet, right?

Well, she got the tablet back a couple of weeks ago and the included information said that they had "reseated the battery". Ok, the battery came unplugged. Poor design if it can happen that easily, but whatever. Fast forward (not much, just about a week mind you) and she messages me today to let me know that it is not powering on again. Ran through all the same tests as before, same results. Since I was at work, I asked her to call Lenovo and see what they had to say. The tech she spoke to told her (and I asked her to repeat it several times to be sure I was hearing her correctly) that she had basically ruined the battery by charging it while it was powered on, charging it before it died, and removing it from charge before it hit 100%. So, according to this dude, the K1 isn't capable of running off of AC power, and its spiffy Lithium Polymer battery is apparently subject to a memory issue that I thought disappeared with NiCd batteries in the early 90's. Interesting.

So, to the subject of my post: Is this a common issue?  I was thinking of purchasing a K1 as a backup to my CM7 powered Touchpad, but so far I have a bad taste in my mouth from the K1. Two months old and on its second repair already? Where I'm from, we call those lemons. Should I just open it up and reseat the battery myself? Yes, I know it voids the warranty but from where I'm standing the warranty is basically an excuse for Lenovo to kidnap the tablet for a month at a time, so I'm not really too worried about voiding it.

IF anyone from Lenovo would like to reach out and make this right, I would appreciate it. If not, then the K1 gets relegated to the "Coby" end of the tablet reccommendation scale. (Hint: that's the lowest end.)

Token Ring
Burger

Re: K1 - Won't Power On, Been Repaired Once

Lol. I had mine serviced 3 times already in less than 2 months. I beat yours lol.

Its the first time i read someone has battery issues that is charging borne. If its critical not to charge while its on they shouldhave it in the manual or a critical literature. I havent seen any for the k1.

You dont have the option to return it and get a refund? K1 is really an atrocious product. It will deplete any patienc you have.

Token Ring
smalcom

jaypuck wrote:

I purchased my fiancee a 32gb K1 for Christmas, and sometime in January it simply would not turn on. Tried everything I could think of (power button for 10, 20, 30, hooking up via USB, etc). She called Lenovo and they had her send the unit in for repair. I work in tech support for the consumer electronics industry so I know sometimes things happen, no big deal. Not happy about having a 1 month old Tablet repaired, but hey, its better than being out of a tablet, right?

Well, she got the tablet back a couple of weeks ago and the included information said that they had "reseated the battery". Ok, the battery came unplugged. Poor design if it can happen that easily, but whatever. Fast forward (not much, just about a week mind you) and she messages me today to let me know that it is not powering on again. Ran through all the same tests as before, same results. Since I was at work, I asked her to call Lenovo and see what they had to say. The tech she spoke to told her (and I asked her to repeat it several times to be sure I was hearing her correctly) that she had basically ruined the battery by charging it while it was powered on, charging it before it died, and removing it from charge before it hit 100%. So, according to this dude, the K1 isn't capable of running off of AC power, and its spiffy Lithium Polymer battery is apparently subject to a memory issue that I thought disappeared with NiCd batteries in the early 90's. Interesting.

So, to the subject of my post: Is this a common issue?  I was thinking of purchasing a K1 as a backup to my CM7 powered Touchpad, but so far I have a bad taste in my mouth from the K1. Two months old and on its second repair already? Where I'm from, we call those lemons. Should I just open it up and reseat the battery myself? Yes, I know it voids the warranty but from where I'm standing the warranty is basically an excuse for Lenovo to kidnap the tablet for a month at a time, so I'm not really too worried about voiding it.

IF anyone from Lenovo would like to reach out and make this right, I would appreciate it. If not, then the K1 gets relegated to the "Coby" end of the tablet reccommendation scale. (Hint: that's the lowest end.)

This sounds like a "tech" talking nonsense. I have the cheaper (and maybe better) A1. I charge it at all power levels, and, in fact, may have charged it after is shut down due to low battery once. I use it when it is connected to ac power or USB power and have never had a problem. I suggest you call back and when they try to give you the BS, ask to be escalated. Eventually you should be able to get to someone with a brain instead of a script.

IdeaPad A1-07
iPhone 3GS
Paper Tape
jaypuck

Yeah, I have no doubt he was just trying to get her off the phone, which is partially why I'm so annoyed. We purchase all of our pc's for work through Lenovo and I have had to deal with them plenty of times for work-related concerns and they've always been a pleasure and very professional. To hear this guy dropping such an obvious lie seemed really out of place until I read some of the posts on this forum.

It seems as though the support people dealing with the tablets are not the same as the support people who deal with the corporate accounts. I guess it makes sense, put your talented people to work on the big accounts and let the chaff handle the single customers that it won't hurt to lose. Might backfire this time though as I've been talking to our department's purchasing manager about this and we might be sourcing our next round of upgrades (2-300 pc's) through someone other than Lenovo. Apparently he's had some issues with them on the "personal" side as well and is losing respect for the company as a whole.

I'm still hopeful that someone from Lenovo will respond to this in a positive manner (such as "You know, you're right, repairing something for the same problem twice in less than two months after purchase is a bit silly, let us make it right and give you a new tablet instead." or even "Hey, let us pick up the shipping since its been less than 30 days since we repaired it and apparently we didn't do the job right.") I realize in this day and age a lot of people feel entitled to compensatory action and what not, but really, I just want the tablet I purchased to be functional. I don't think its ridiculous to ask for a replacement instead of a second repair, considering the tablet is less than three months old and a month of that was spent in the repair shop.

Token Ring
smalcom

You won't get a response from Lenovo on this site. This is strictly a user forum. There are some administrators who monitor and are affiliated with Lenovo. You might want to address a comment to Mark_Lenovo who is an admin and might be able to help. Search for the user Mark_Lenovo, and just look at any of his posts. There is contact info for him. Good luck.

IdeaPad A1-07
iPhone 3GS
ETC
Blue Screen Again
ETC

Seems like a common problem with the Lenovo K1, happened to me at least 5 times, but it always turned back on after a day.  I have a RMA because it was really dead this time, but I decided to unplug the battery to see if I could get it on.  So, it's interesting that they told your wife they reseated the battery, and that it is picky about being charged and used at the same time.  I believe this last time (can't remember about the other times) it was charged in while I was using it.  Here's my post from another thread regarding a dead K1.  I hope this helps someone else.

===========

Remove the back and unplug the battery for a few minutes. 

I had a plastic pry tool with a very thin edge that came with a replacement battery for another type of device.  I found the loosest spot of the cover (to get it started) to be to the left of the charging port (when the tablet is flipped over, screen side down).  

Insert the pry tool and slide to the right until you hear one of the clips pop.  Then remove the pry tool and insert it on the other side of the clip and slide to the right until the next clip pops out.  Continue all the way around the tablet.

The battery is the BIG black rectangle with the Lenovo label on it.  You'll see a white "+" and "-" above the sticker with a rainbow of wires (black, blue, green yellow, white, red) leading to a flat white plug. Gently remove the plug from it's socket. I used an eyeglasses screwdriver to gently pry it loose, first one side, then the other, sort of shimmy it out.

Leave it unplugged for a few minutes, then plug it back in.  Worked for me, hope it worked for you.  Lesson learned, BACK UP YOUR DATA.  I was SO upset to think I lost videos and pictures of my recently departed 21 year old cat and my new kitten.  You just can't get that stuff back.... <3