Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
Ssayer

Re: K1 compass problems with 3.2 update

[ Edited ]

"how come it works great in gps status? Its a software error and not hardware. Lenovo should be able to fix this in a reasonable amount of time."

That's been my thought since I got this thing...

SCSI Port
st_albert

Just to confuse the issue even further, I have tested the following apps just now, against the night sky:

Compass, v 2.2.1, Catch, Inc.  -- 90deg off (says the north star is ~ due east)

Smart Compass v 1.3.5, Smart Tools Inc -- correct, says north star is ~ 8deg west, about right for my declination

Google Sky map v 1.6.4 -- correct, good match to Orion, Ursa Minor, Jupiter, Venus, etc.  (so, OK for both altitude and azimuth orientation.)

This has been true for the last two updates I have run, namely:

K1_A301_13_13_111209_US  and

K1_A301_14_14_120109_US

Punch Card
thomslik

Strange. I just received my K1 yesterday and did all the updates. I'm impressed, coming from a weak Asus Transformer Prime. I love the K1! Everything including GPS Status and Google Sky show North where it should be.

I read this thread and installed Compass 2.1.1 It shows North 90 degrees west at West. I'm thinking it must be a problem with the Compass app and not he K1.
Token Ring
Ssayer

"I read this thread and installed Compass 2.1.1 It shows North 90 degrees west at West. I'm thinking it must be a problem with the Compass app and not he K1."

There are too many apps that show 90 degrees off. They're getting their info from the K1, so it's a software glitch on the K1 as to how the K1 is parsing the information for the app to read (and should be relatively easy to fix!).

Punch Card
thomslik

I'm not sure about these "many" apps. You could be right, as I haven't tried that many. But Compass is the only thing I have found off on North here.

I guess coming from th Prime, I'm happy to even have GPS which works, good wifi and no random reboots.

Token Ring
Ssayer

"I'm not sure about these "many" apps."

These don't:

3D Compass Pro

Compass, v 2.2.1

SkEye

Smart Compass v 1.3.5

Smart Compass Pro v 2.2

Star Chart

Sygic GPS Navigation

TerraTime

There are a lot more compass using apps out there, not like I'm going to try every one of them to prove a point...

Token Ring
Clear_Blue_Lou

And why is the error always exactly 90 degrees? Why not random headings, or a full 180 degree inversion?

Could it be that some apps fail to read or account for the K1's orientation, landscape vs. portrait?

(Apologies if this is a really stupid question.)

Punch Card
thomslik

"There are a lot more compass using apps out there, not like I'm going to try every one of them to prove a point..."

OK, I'll take your word for it as I don't use all those. Let's hope for a fix next update.