Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
rolphin

Re: New K1 owner unhappy with GPS

I am having the same problem with my K1. 

When you have wifi, the google maps app will find you location according to your IP. HOWEVER, that is not a GPS positioning. 

I tried GPS status, GPS test, neither of these two can lock (get fix) on a satelite even though there are more than 7 in view. 

Tried rebooting the system, still  not working. 

I have the newest system update. 

One of the most important reasons I bought this tablet is the GPS. I was planning to use it with pre-cache maps. I wonder whether it is a common problem or just a defect of a certain batch. 

Fanfold Paper
rolphin

One more thing, I have my HTC incredible testing the GPS also. It can get satelite fix within 20 seconds. So I can rule out the satelite signal issue. 

I tried positioning my k1 differently (leaning against the window, facing up, facing down), that does not make a difference. 

rolphin wrote:

I am having the same problem with my K1. 

When you have wifi, the google maps app will find you location according to your IP. HOWEVER, that is not a GPS positioning. 

I tried GPS status, GPS test, neither of these two can lock (get fix) on a satelite even though there are more than 7 in view. 

Tried rebooting the system, still  not working. 

I have the newest system update. 

One of the most important reasons I bought this tablet is the GPS. I was planning to use it with pre-cache maps. I wonder whether it is a common problem or just a defect of a certain batch. 

Punch Card
Triumph

download the GPS test app from Lenovo Store

pad stats updated kernel 2.6.36.3/ 110829

indoors 0 to 1 sat 0-39 SNR 

outside 0 to 1 sat 0-40 SNR

dimmed screen, closed all apps, full charge battery, charger in or out

no connect. GPS just searches

mfg date 11/08/12

tom tom finds 6, with low battery charge

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Tested the K1 on the GPS issue

Kernel - 2.6.36.3
Build No. - K1_A301_03_03_110829_US
Use wireless networks: - not checked
Use GPS satellites: - checked
Use location for Google Search: - not checked
WIFI: - off
Software: GPS Test

Tested 3 times at the same location. GPS lock time varies from 4 minutes to 9 minutes.

Satellite views 7, used 4

I guess the K1's GPS works fine but it's slow to lock. Will ask engineering about it.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
Danny_G

Jamez I would hardly describe 4 to 9 minutes as works! That's a severe degradation of functionality. I have noticed that if I hard reboot the k1 then turn it on it picks up a satellite rather quickly but subsequent attempts after do not get a lock
Punch Card
Triumph

[ Edited ]

FIXED

SCSI Port
LdyMox

I myself have 3 days to decide if to return the unit and I wonder if there is also a fix coming, or even possible.

Punch Card
Triumph

[ Edited ]

spoke with local BEST BUY GEEKS, they said Lenovo has no GPS

SCSI Port
LdyMox

Hmm how does it being built in or not affect the GPS? There is clearly a GPS of some sort (well if it works). Perhaps there is a technical distinction I am missing.

Punch Card
Triumph

[ Edited ]

OPPS! fixed mine

BEFORE

AFTER

easiest

Did mine a little different, tried several hacks, found couple fixes, couple I'll keep silent about for future use, but this would be easiest way to wipe, time corruption, it does default K1 back to the way it came out of box. So yes it works out of the box, but then we go inside?

1. 1st;  If settings --> Privacy --> Factory data reset does not fix, try the long way!
  2. 2nd;  Easiest way for layman like me to fix,Download  and revert to K1_A301_02_02_110725_US (zip and xml) on your PC, and rename both to "update" keep extensions.
  3. Transfer to "download" folder via USB that came with K1
  4. Before powering off k1 slate, go to settings, about tablet, system updates, start to check new version, and then power-off  /power back on it should show little droid doing update.  if that don't work; Push the multikey boot; or just Shut it off / turn it back on it should do update.
  5. When the buggy 110725 comes up, go to settings, set up your wireless, , go to about tablet, system updates, start to check new version, .
  6. Will Auto download 110829 lenovo k1 stable OTA, and then power-off restart when prompted.
  7. When it comes back up, and prompts for date and time, CHOOSE SERVER SUPPLIED AUTOMATIC DATE & TIME, & "your" LOCAL
  8. [even if it is fun to do, and looks awesome, do not set your own date and time]!!! this is the bug
  9. That is long - easiest way
  10.  vUpdate your APPS and customize your slate again. Your back and you have GPS offline capable.

First time to sync satellites will take 3 to 4 minutes, and suggest you do this standing outside some what soon after software reload, let it stand for 15-20-30 in open sky above or until it connects to at least 5. After that first sync up and orbital data download collection which some sat guru's say takes 15 minutes, K1 will connect in about 5 seconds then on. So far testing 2 days OK.

Outside: top I collected was 10 sats and 8 in use, Accuracy 30 feet

Inside: Pitiful

BAD: what happens if I don't use the slate outside for 6-months; question is will I have to default it again?