Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
engine

Re: New K1 owner unhappy with GPS

Confirmed, GPS works ok like a standalone GPS.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
nklemens

I just got my K1. The GPS works great! Used it from by bedroom last night (through a two story house), so it has a strong signal. Lock was gained in 2-3 minutes and the Google Navigation worked (with the WIFI off) as well as a demo of another GPS software (Sygic) worked perfectly.

The issue may have been fixed with an update. Mine updated 7 times out of the Box.  So far I love this Tablet!

...Norm

Paper Tape
northvanmark

So it seems Lenovos sales staff don't know their own products. Oh well, I didn't take mine back and I finally got a GPS signal. I gotta say, though, that the signal is VERY poor and easily lost even under light foilage. I tested mine back to back with a HTC Desire phone, both running the GPS Test app from the Android market. With both units side by side, the HTC was able to pick up a lot more satellites a lot more quickly than the Lenova and had a much greater accuracy (down to 6 ft as opposed to about 45 ft for the Lenovo). Re-orientating the Lenovo didn't really improve accuracy much (I don't actually know where the GPS antenna is located on the tablet) Bottom line is, don't use the Lenovo if you need to [b]rely[/b] on the GPS
Retired Employee
JameZ

@northvanmark,

Yeah, the team are currently looking into this issue.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Ctrl-Alt-Del
nklemens

I used mine this AM on my 8 mile drive to work.  It found connection to GPS in about 1 minute from my house.  In 8 miles it lost connection twice.  In two locations where I lose my satellite Radio as well. Si in my case, it's geographical.  The first location for about 15 seconds.  The second location (next to a rock cliff) for about 25 seconds.  When found it continued on the voyage.  One nice feature of it is google tells you to drive 4 miles on a road after you turn onto it.  My signal loses were in the middle of a 4 mile road and an 2 mile road, so it got back on track when the signal was found.

I did not buy mine for a GPS but I cannot complain.  The large screen lets you see a lot of map in detail. It also fits nicely upright in the console of my vehicle

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Appreciate for those who are having issue with the GPS drop me a private message with the following.

1. built version: (example - 111109_US)
2. Serial number

As requested by engineering.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

802.11n
ricochet_k1

[ Edited ]
OS 11109us
G Maps 6.0.2

I'm still non functioning here. Although GPS can get a lock on my location, I cannot navigate or get directions unless I enable Wi-fi. With it enabled, lock and directions are provided in seconds. When GPS only is enabled I get the spinning cursor and navigation never completes.

JameZ, have PM'ed you requested info.
Thanks,
Ricochet
The K1_Was Just A Broken Promise Lenovo
Punch Card
newbielives

Having the same problem, I really love this machine and don't want to return it but at the same time I will not keep something that is defective.

Hope this is just a software issue

Fanfold Paper
Korrd

[ Edited ]

I'm also having problems with my K1's GPS. It won't lock no matter how long I leave it out in the open.

Requested info submitted.

I also hope for a software solution.

Love this tablet. Bought it in order to use as e-paper at office plus as a car console. It's been quite a success at office.

Punch Card
newbielives

Any update on this problem