Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
ScooterCat

Re: OTA Firmware files for A1

magnus33 wrote:

Not wrong but i could have been clearer.

You need to change the name to update and not update.zip.

Yes, wrong.  The file must be named "update.zip". Not "update", and not "update.zip.zip".

As fred_yu_job pointed out, if Windows is configured to hide the extensions of known file types, the file name may display as update, but the actual file name must be update.zip.

Token Ring
magnus33

[ Edited ]

No correct!

I suggest you try naming it update.zip under windows and see what happens..lol

You don't seem to understand that you not changing the type under windows your merely naming it.

When you download in windows it already saves it precisely as it is, which is a zip file.

There is no need to change it to a zip file so you merely need to change the name.

I been doing this for over 35 years on windows,linux ios and darn near everything else which includes reel to reel pet computer systems.

I test something before i comment on it like most scientists or computer techs do to see if i correct..

This is the part that escaping you.

You don't need to designate the type of file in windows as its already downloaded as a zip file.

Since the file type is correct all that's needed is to change the name.

Of course no need to take my word for it go on any windows machine and try naming it update.zip and copy it over to the android device for update and see what happens.

After it fails it may dawn on you that this is whats happening.

Since windows normally hides extensions you don't see it but this is whats it would look like.

update.zip.zip    with the extension type viewable that's what you would see in windows your way.

update.zip          with the extension viewable and just changing the name to update that's what you would see.

Lord save me from people who don't even bother to test what they are talking about.

The instructions in the first post are put the way they are because it was likely done by someone use to working in linux which often requires the extention type to be clearly stated.

It doesn't translate into windows though since that os saves files 99% of time as they are.

That removes the need for changing the file type and all thats left is chaning the name.

802.11n
ScooterCat

[ Edited ]

magnus33 wrote:

No correct!

Since windows normally hides extensions...

Believe whatever you want to...I've been "doing this" for a while also.

The only people I know that configure Windows to hide file extensions are total noobs that don't know any better...

Token Ring
magnus33

[ Edited ]

Can't of being doing it that long or you know a simple truth.

Most of the people coming to forums aren't power users and the best directions are the simplest.

Regardless of what you want to believe is pointless though i posted so those users would be able to flash without problems.

Not to argue with you over such foolish choices on whither power users hide or show extensions.

So why don't we leave the tread as is .

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635