Aldiko
Mx video player
Perfect viewer
Converter pad
Expense manager
Token Ring
tinybeetle

Re: What's your favorite apps?

I'm liking "Unlock at Home". It allows you specify which WiFi zones will act as a "Do Not Lock My Tablet" area. So, I don't have to use the unlock pattern (or code) each time I pick up my A1 in those specified places.

Fanfold Paper
CCroom

I have an A1 and I like these:

Weather channel app

Linda Manager for app and pad manager

MoboPlayer for videos

TeamViewer for remote desktop use

SugarSync for access to files on multiple devices

AirDroid for wirelessly accessing and transferring files to the pad from a computer on your home wireless network.

Free video to Android converter from  dvdvideosoft.com that runs on a PC and converts almost any video file to work on almost any tablet. 

Paper Tape
GD5eba

apps:

Dailymotion

Yahoo!

Opera

aDosBox

tools:

LCD resolution

Fanfold Paper
ClSlate

What do you use LCD Resolution for?  Is it for screen-sizing with certain apps, or is it to improve Android Market compatibililty?  Thanks.

My favorite Apps:

Zeam Launcher

Kindle Reader

Netflix

Google maps

Comic Reader

Translate

RealCalc

ClSlate

Token Ring
tinybeetle

ClSlate wrote:

What do you use LCD Resolution for?  Is it for screen-sizing with certain apps, or is it to improve Android Market compatibililty? 

LCD Resolution or Density makes things on the screen a different size. The display on the A1 is set at 240 dpi (dots per inch). A tablet with 1024 x 600 specs, in my opinion, should be set somewhere between 170 and 200. You get more stuff on the screen.

Here's a link explaining in detail.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-usage-tips-tricks/9444-lcd-density-explained.html

Fanfold Paper
ClSlate

tinybeetle, Thanks for the link on LCD Resolution.  This helps a lot.  Still, for my eyes the current 240 isn't bad.  My comment about the Android Market was that a number of applications which actually work fine on the A1, are listed as "not compatible".  Some articles suggest that this has to do with the listed screen resolution, the 240, which should be changed to something like 160 in the build.prop file.  For such "incompatible" applications, I've had to download the .APK files to install.  Of course, certain applications really are not compatible.  That is always the danger of by-passing the Market.

ClSlate

What's DOS?
superhuman

How do you install from APK?

I just found out that plenty of apps is not listed at my A1's market.

(e.g. The Sims, Tetris, etc from EA)

Fanfold Paper
ClSlate

To install from an APK, you need to first check Settings / Applications and see that "Unknown Sources" is checked.  This is probably the case as Lenovo has this checked to enable their Lenovo App Store.  Next, you need to download the App you are looking for as an APK.  You can also use your PC to find an APK and email it to your A1.  When you open up the email and tap on the attachment, a pop-up should ask you if you want to install.  If you downloaded, you can use the ES File Explorer App and look in "download" to find and tap on the APK. 

For example, the Google Earth App, APK file looks like this:  Google_Earth_6.1.apk.   You can Google search it and download it to your A1 or PC.  Then transfer from your PC by USB, email, Bluetooth, etc.  Hope this helps.

ClSlate

Token Ring
fred_yu_job

Just installed "Notification Toggle", the ONLY app let me toggle WIFI on/off from the notification bar!