Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
whitemonaco

Re: When and where the USB Host Cable for Ideapad K1 comes out?

I got my notice today too.

Ordered on March 28

Ctrl-Alt-Del
allanfigot

I have mine, and am extremely happy to have it.  The fact remains though that Lenovo should never have shipped our units without the adapter since there is no usb port on the unit.

Punch Card
scouf

Called Lenovo Canada again.  The rep said that they should be receiving the shipment at the end of next week so figure May 3rd or 4th.  Hopefully by then we'll be allowed to order this thing that should have been in the box originally.

Punch Card
ronydandjanyd

allanfigot wrote:

I have mine, and am extremely happy to have it.  The fact remains though that Lenovo should never have shipped our units without the adapter since there is no usb port on the unit.

I agree 100%!!

Punch Card
tburkett

Update, mine showed up at the house last night.  It has worked on 3 different thumb drives that I tested it on.

It should be a useful addition for watching movies, music, and file management ...

Tim-

SCSI Port
oetbyg

I've been one of the many clamoring for the K1 USB host solution in this forum. I have received the cable, and I hope those waiting will be satisfied soon.

I bought a tablet to use as a small computer when traveling. I have a laptop and netbook, yet I wanted something even smaller that could still do email, access the web, gather and manipulate pictures from digital camera, read and write data on thumb drives, etc. The goal was to reduce the volume and weight of stuff in my carry-on bag. That load has grown with a bigger camera, second camera, flip video, binoculars, cell phones, GPS, glasses, etc. that I lug about on leisure travel.

I bought the K1 to fulfill this need even though it didn't have a 'female' USB connector. It was a very nice tablet with great function and excellent price on sale. I didn't understand the implications of USB host vs USB device. I thought there would be some work-around, gender changer, etc. to do what I want. That was naive.

Every USB gadget I have has either a male or female connection, but not both. Examples:
USB hosts: desktop PCs, laptop, netbook, printer server, ...
USB devices: thumb drives, camera card readers, Flip camera, GPS, keyboard, mouse, printer, tablet, MP3 player, iPod, ...

The function I was looking for in a tablet made it the first piece of hardware I owned that needed to be both a USB device and USB host. This is a key difference.

How about other tablets?

I haven't investigated iPads previously. I prefer open-source to control-freak rigidity, so I only shopped for Androids. I just learned that the alimighty iPad, now 3 generations old, doesn't have a general purpose USB host cable or adapter available from Apple! There is a camera connector, but it can't be used with a thumb drive according to Apple's support site. That may not be totally correct, but the data file types supported are restricted. There may be hacks and 3rd party solutions, but none are available from Apple.

Samsung didn't offer a USB host adapter for their Galaxy Tab 10.1 initially.

New territory is being broken as tablets evolve. I hope Lenovo and other manufacturers have learned from this. Many customers want to use the tablet as more than a computer accessory, they need to be a stand-alone computer with USB host capability as well.

Regards...

Punch Card
MikeTheBull

Mine came today and it works great with my usb memory card reader. Also tried a couple of  usb jump drives and has no problem.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

WWAN
mclandytm

Got mine last night, and it works great.  Would have had it a day sooner if it hadn't required a signature for delivery, and if the UPS guy hadn't shown up during the 15 minutes I was gone that day (I swear he was just hiding around the corner, watching for his chance)!

Punch Card
tburkett

I tested a USB keyboard and then a USB mouse. Both work fine via "plug and play". No drivers needed.

After using the usb mouse a few mins, I think I will soon be buying a bluetooth mouse to accompany my logitech bluetooth keyboard.

WWAN
mclandytm

tburkett wrote:
I tested a USB keyboard and then a USB mouse. Both work fine via "plug and play". No drivers needed.

After using the usb mouse a few mins, I think I will soon be buying a bluetooth mouse to accompany my logitech bluetooth keyboard.

Lenovo occasionally has deals on one of their bluetooth mice, the N6901A, which I got a few weeks ago for only $15.  It works great!  And it actually arrived only the second day after I ordered it, with free shipping.  When there is an available "ecoupon" discount code, it usually shows up on Dealnews.com.