Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
bigfire
Accepted Solution

Yoga 13 wifi is extremely poor

Note: there is another thread about this marked "Solved" when it really wasn't. The original poster marked it that way, but the vast majority of people in that thread are still having problems with no response from Lenovo reps. Hopefully this new thread will alert the reps to the fact that the problem is still ongoing.

I've been measuring the wifi performance of the Yoga 13, and it's much worse than my iPad and Lenovo X220. The other devices get 2-3 bars in a room where the Yoga can't connect.

SCSI Port
dumbth

Re: Yoga 13 wifi is extremely poor

My yoga built on Dec 11 is blessed with excellent reception... it stays nailed on max bars in any room or balcony. My wifi router and its firmware is maybe a decade old, and my last tablet could hardly cope with it until many updates and my MacBook pro doesn't get full bars from it easily. So I hope your solution doesn't upset mine.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
fredriknotse

[ Edited ]

I live in Sweden and my Yoga is built on 29th of november. Besides the bad decision to only support 2.4Ghz, the wifi capabilities is very poor on my unit. Even when I sit beside the access point and it says that connection speed is 72Mbps the top real speed possible to reach is 40Mbps. My 5 years old Dell XPS 1530 laptop (also just 2.4Ghz) outperforms it by much more than double that speed.

Also the number of bars for the reception is always low when moving a few meters away from the access point.

This (low speed + bad reception) and the constant running fan are the only two problems I have. The rest of the computer is top notch. I have the Orange i7/8GB/256GB MAM2PMX 21912-PG.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
fredriknotse

[ Edited ]

...and the above mentioned access point is the Airport Express 11n. The most reliable access point I have ever owned. Never has to be restarted and works with every possible unit. Never drops connections.

ggh
What's DOS?
ggh

Several weeks ago I proposed a different take on the wifi problems.  Every test since then has confirmed it.   I have bars of wifi strength through 2 walls and 40 feet away and receive 2 to 2.5 megabytes/second.  In other words, good performance.  BUT, if there is any disruption in reception (use of the kitchen microwave for example) the connection throttles down to between 120 and 160 kilobytes/second but never adjusts back to full speed.  The good news, this is most likely a driver or software issue.

The bad news is Lenovo's approach supporting this product.  I see so many users working so hard to help Lenovo work out the kinks on this expensive product they are committed to.  But no one from Lenovo is giving any feedback.  I see other companies scouring all the forums that mention their products to obtain input and then participate.  Even sales people at the retail outlet know wifi is a problem.  Yet Lenovo has to ask us if the issue is resolved.  This could have been a great product.  I have three more weeks where I can return my unit.  I hope that the rest of you do too.  Simply an honest status and participatin by Lenovo would turn me around.

Paper Tape
skizztle

[ Edited ]

Yes I am very annoyed at the response. I bought mine 2 weeks ago and even added a WiFi extender for my home network to help (did not work). The latest driver is from October 23; two months ago so to me I don't think this is a driver issue I think it is most definitely hardware that's why Lenovo has been so quiet about it.

I will be returning mine this coming week. It's sad though cause I love this Ultrabook, but the Wifi problem is not acceptable.

Edit: Just checked Device Manager the driver is even  older than October 23 it was released originally by Realtek on 9/5/12. My Wifi has dropped 2 times just trying to update this and I am 15 feet from my router.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
sternig

I have OK signal strength but have an issue with no reconnection after suspend. Oct 23 drivers no help. WiFi was OK for a while when I first got it, maybe until the MS update? A reload of the Yoga software worked for a few days until a Win 8 Update.

Paper Tape
bigfire

I don't have the reconnect problem, or even the continual dropping, but the signal strength is terrible. I was repeating my bad room test and everything on the planet got reasonable signal (X220, iPad, iPhone 3GS, Nokia 920) and the Yoga couldn't get anything. Also, what's up with not being able to use the 5G network? This is just stunningly broken, and because of the connection we can't even replace the network card without plugging in some USB thing.
Community Moderator
yigit

it could be the reason that wireless cables locates under the keyboard, not as usual behind the screen. can you please post the version of drivers?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Paper Tape
bigfire

I have 1021.2.904.2012, dated 9/4/2012.