Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
bobdelamare

B320 memory upgrade

My new B320 has 4 Gb RAM but I believe 8 is possible. With 64 bit Win7 I reckon it would be worthwhile to add the extra 4 Gb.

The leaflet with the PC shows how to access the memory slots and I have assembled or upgraded at least 10 PCs in the past. Sounds a doddle.

Question 1 is, should I/can I buy the memeory modules from Lenovo?

Question 2 If not, I can buy them elsewhere but if I fit them will I invalidate the warranty?

Indeed, even if I buy from Lenovo, will fiiting them likewise invalidate the warranty?

802.11n
pagroundhog

Re: B320 memory upgrade

[ Edited ]

Hello,

This is just my opinion but I think an upgrade to 8gb of RAM would be a waste of money unless your are running programs that require large amounts of RAM. However, if you consider yourself a normal user that runs a few simple programs (and you do not multitask a lot), then I would scratch the upgrade.

You can check your current usage by going into task manager and accessing the "resource monitor." I am also running with 4gb of RAM and I have an adequate amount of free RAM:

Good luck!

Paper Tape
bobdelamare

Thanks groundhog. I was rather hoping that someone from Lenovo would advise me on the legalities.

802.11n
pagroundhog

[ Edited ]

Hello again,

First, you can download the warranty documents here:  Warranty Service Policies  The two documents you would be interested in are the Lenovo Limited Warranty and the Lenovo Limited Warranty for Storage and Accessory Products. Now, I am not a lawyer but I am a consumer that owns a B575 so I though it might be beneficial (for both of us) to try and answer your questions so I would already have the answers just in case I need them so here goes my interpretation:

You asked:  If I buy parts from Lenovo, will fitting them likewise invalidate the warranty?

Warranty does not cover: failure of, or damage caused by, any third party products, including those that Lenovo may provide or integrate into the Lenovo product at your request.

My interpretation: Since Lenovo doesn't make memory, I guess all upgrades must be removed before requesting warranty service as they are looking to service the exact unit that left the factory.

You asked: should I/can I buy the memory modules from Lenovo?

Warranty states: Before your Service Provider exchanges a product or part, you agree to:

remove all features, parts, options, alterations, and attachments not under warranty service.  (Also see above statement)

My interpretation: Yes, you can buy memory from Lenovo or any third party vendor; however, the part should be removed and the original part(s) should be returned/reinstalled before requesting warranty service.

You asked: can I buy them elsewhere but if I fit them will I invalidate the warranty?

Warranty states: see previous warranty statement about removing parts before requesting service.

My interpretation: Yes, you can buy and install your own parts; however, any part, installed "after the fact", must be removed before requesting Lenovo factory warranty service. I also believe if Lenovo finds any evidence of any alteration attempt (from factory delivered status), they may invalidate the warranty for end-user tampering (although that is not clearly stated in the warranty). In other words, you would not be able to get warranty service on a "modified unit."

So, that is my interpretation which specific detail excerpted from the Lenovo warranties documents for reference and now I welcome all forum members to respond to my interpretations and if they know any different, from either experience or a written reference, I would ask them to please correct my assumptions accordingly. However, please do not provide any one-liners (ie, Lenovo covers their parts or if Lenovo installs the upgrade part it is covered) without a written reference.

Good luck!

P.S.

Here's my bottom line interpretation:

Lenovo will only service the unit (under warranty) if it is in the same condition as it left the factory. You cannot upgrade the unit in any way (even if Lenovo does it for you) and be able to maintain the full warranty service. In other words, you can't ship the entire unit back to Lenovo with upgraded parts inside. However, I'm sure Lenovo has a specific "parts warranty" to cover "only" the upgraded part so if that part would go bad, it could be returned to Lenovo for a "parts exchange." I'm also sure that any third-party vendor would have a similar parts warranty. 

802.11n
pagroundhog

Hello original poster,

Did you ever get the answer you were looking for and/or get your issue resolved?

Please let us know.

Your feedback is important to the community.