Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Rayovac30

B520 - how to bring down the monitor contrast?

Brightness control in the front panel are not enough.

the backlight is too much for me to handle

Does anyone know how to bring down the contrast even more?

thank you.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: B520 - how to bring down the monitor contrast?

Hello Rayovac30 and welcome to community,

There is a software Lenovo Dynamic Brightness System which adjusts screen brightness automatically based on background lighting conditions

Kindly reinstall it from the accessing OneKey Recovery and Application and drivers.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Punch Card
ehun73

Brightness, contrast and other adjustments can be made by using the Nvidia Control Panel. It can be accessed by right-clicking in an open area of the wallpaper on the startup page. If you have 3D, adjustments may be made to increase or decrease image depth. It was several months before I discovered that the panel was available.

Paper Tape
Rayovac30

Monitor Contrast has nothing to do with Nvidia controls or dynamic brightness system. I really do hope this a joke from the Lenovo team. Your product has some serious design flaws and obviously no one from support knows how to aproach this issue. i HAVEN'T BEING ABLE TO USE THE SYSTEM PROPERLY. I CANT SEE THE SCREEN. THIS IS WORST THAN LOOKING AT THE SUN DIRECTLY. yOUR BRIGHTNESS CONTROL IN THE MONITOR IS NOT ENOUGH. WE NEED SOLUTIONS. IM GOING TO SEND MY UNIT BACK. I WAN MY MONEY.
Punch Card
ehun73

[ Edited ]

OK. Then continue to have problems.

Moderator edit: Please keep it cordial, per the Community Rules.

Punch Card
timberwolf10014

I just bought a B520 ... and my eyes are killing me!  I am not sure why?

I have the Dynamic Brightness System installed ... and can see it working (via a pop-up, and then seeing the screen change).  I have gone into its 'Brightness setting', and lowered the 'Recommended value', but the screen gets gray.  So, I hit 'Restore'.

As suggested, I tried going into the Nvidia Control Panel to make changes to Contrast ... but when I choose 'With the Nvidia settings' and make changes and hit Apply.  I get a message telling me to accept them within X seconds, and when I do ... the screen looks exactly the same.  When I click 'Restore Defaults' ... once again, nothing changes?!?!

Windows Media Center has a very helpful tutorial on setting up a Display ... so I went into WMC, but when I tell it I have a 'Built in' screen, it does not give me the option to run the program.  If I lie to it, and choose it is a 'Flat Panel' screen, then it lets me run the program ... but based on the videos, the current settings seem to need no adjustments.

The best change I have made ... is to increase the size of text to 150%, via Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display, sit farther away, and use the mouse and keyboard ... but that defeats the purpose of a Touch Screen!

The B520 is very sexy ... and maybe like everything sexy, you have to pay some price?  :smileytongue:

Punch Card
timberwolf10014

It may just be the technology?  (i.e. maybe Touch Screens are for occasional use, and not meant to be used all day long)

The B520 Display is beautiful, but since it is Touch based, I sit much closer to it than I would normally.  I have used many smaller touch capable devices in the past, for much shorter periods of time, and never had a problem.  Even if the Lumens per square inch are the same, the amount of square inches in a 23" display are much greater.  It could be the combination of screen size, and time spent in front of it, that is causing my eye strain?  [If this is the reason ... I am extremely glad I did not wait for the A720, with a 27" Touch Display]

I am hoping someone can suggest a fix ... but either way, it is not a big deal to me.  Since, I bought the B520 to test Windows 8, and always planned to Duplicate its display to my 42" Monitor.  I am currently Extending its Display using Windows 7, but once I get an answer on installing a SSD (see my other thread), I will put Windows 8 on the B520, via a SSD and RapidDrive, and then only have to look at the B520 display when I am actually touching its screen [that is what I plan, but my best of plans, seem to have problems in the real world]

Punch Card
ehun73

When you went into the Nvidia Control Panel, did you lower the gamma setting? This seems to noticably darken the display. I have the 3D monitor and I don't know whether this makes a difference with the controls. The adjustments that I made are on the "Adjust desktop color settings" tab. I set the brightness and contrast to 50% and lowered the gamma setting.

Punch Card
timberwolf10014

When I make changes using the Nvidia Control Panel, I see no noticeable changes.  I could continue to test why mine does not adjust (e.g. maybe I need to make changes, and then restart PC for them to take affect?  Then do this over and over until I get the desired results ... or, Deactivate my second display, and see if that helps?), but WMC already says my setting are correct, and when I sit back 4', it currently looks great!   So, even if I figure out a fix to get my Nvidia to make changes, so as to help with the eye strain ... I will then have a screen that has a subpar picture.

If it worked for you ... then there is most likely a way to get it to work for me.  I have to call Tech Support to find out why my Remote does not seem to do anything?!?!   I am hoping, now that I have a Serial Number, they will be more helpful than Sales.

Thanks for the input!

Paper Tape
Rayovac30

I'll clear this up a little...

NVIDIA Controls does not have any control over the lamp / backlight on the screen. You can turn down
the gamma / brightness / contrast, and you may think you see it darker.

YEEEEEEES. it's dark but the intensity of the backlight is still there. You can feel it from miles away.

I chose Lenovo over ASUS just because of the GT555 option, and it was the worst mistake ever.
Asus Et2700 series do have Contrast/Brightness controls for the screen in Values from 0-100.

You can turn the screen completely dark if you want. Asus have never let me down, but thanks to my greed
always wanting more, thought i would never feel complete unless i had the gt555.

This is what happens when you fall for the marketing agenda.
Fortunately, i sold it already. And this would be the last time i'll purchase something from lenovo.

I'd like to think this is something that they just never thought. WRONG!!!. They know. they do it on purpose.
That's their way to make you feel incomplete, so you can start chasing for something else and fall again
in the marketing agenda.

There's always a way to make an "ALMOST PERFECT" product, the worst nightmare for you.
they have done this for years, since the beginning of times.

Let's not forget about the SATA performance issue in H67/P67 chipsets:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2589

the B520 is one of the lines affected and lenovo did nothing about it.

And please let's not forget about the Trojan that got infiltrated in the drivers disc
for the B Series Line.

Hopefully, your campany will get a FORMAT C: by the end of this year.

arrivederci.