Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
fatality

BRDVD not visible/working - Lenovo IdeaCentre B520

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am facing a problem with my optical drive. Today i have noticed that it's not working. When i put a CD inside, nothing happens. I tried to restart the Computer but then it got just better, the optical drive was gone from "My Computer". So sometimes the Computer recognises the drive and somethimes don't. (i didn't notice it earlier because i am not using the drive very often) Somethimes it also do something when i put a CD in,  but then the whole explorere crashes and i have to close "My Computer" via task manager. I thougt that i may be some software issue, but after failing to run a CD from BIOS i am quite sure that it is a hardware issue.

This is really very frustrating. I was waiting so long to buy this model, and i have paid a lot of money for it, but since i have bought it, i just have problems with it. First it was a problem with the pairing between the computer and the mouse and keyboard. Then there was i problem that the computer just crashes. After contacting lenovo they just say that i have to return the computer in the factory mode and bla bla bla... . I searched for this problem and found out that it is a driver issue from the nvidia (gt 555) graphic card. After installing a new driver everything worked. 

If this keeps happening i am quite sure that i will never ever buy something from lenovo, because it just costs me nerves and time.

So what would you suggest me to do about my optical drive?

I will call lenovo (from Germany) tomorrow, and tell them that this "situation" with this computer is unacceptable.(i still have warranty on it)

Best Regards

Semir

RMattoo
Topics: 3
Kudos: 94
Solutions: 91

Re: BRDVD not visible/working - Lenovo IdeaCentre B520

Hi

Welcome To Lenovo Community

We are really sorry for the inconvenience you have been through using Lenovo B520

I would suggest you should try going in to bios , load setup defaults .
Then use a windows CD  and insert in the drive and try to boot the system using CD
If it works that means hardware is OK , May be there is some driver issue .
If it does not work you may contact lenovo service center to fix the Optical drive

Hope This Helps
Cheers!!!

What's DOS?
SY7074

Same exact issue here.  I'm installing that driver now.  I hope that fixes the problem. 

What's DOS?
mralston

I just received my ideacentre yesterday and I'm already having this problem. What is the fix?

Fanfold Paper
matthewvose

This seems to be at least 4 people with the same problem. I'm tempted not to send mine back in case the diagnose a problem. Would much rather be sent a new cable or drive to install that ship off my entire computer!
Fanfold Paper
maheshguru

I got B540 and the same issue that I noticed today when I inserted a DVD to watch.  This sucks after paying this much money.  I called in support.  They have said that they would someone to take a look.  Doubt very much on what help I could get from them.  hence I started to browse on the community and found all you folks.  on the good side I am not the only one with the problem.  on flip side, this problem does not seem to have a fix.

will keep you posted on what happens after this person visits and takes a look.

Fanfold Paper
r_wright1

I am having this exact problem with my B520 BR/DVD drive.  Sometimes it shows up in device manager as the Optiac BD-5740H but if you click properties, it locks up the PC.  Sometimes it shows up as a CD-ROM and sometimes it doesn't show up at all.  Since my backups are all on DVD's this is an issue.

When I boot the PC, sometimes the BR/DVD is available and sometimes it is not.  It seems to be there after the PC has been powered down for a while but that could a coincidence. Searching the forums I see that this a common problem not just with the B520 but other Lenovo PC's / laptops as well.

Since the drive goes missing outside of Windows ( during inital booting of the PC), I doubt the problem is a Windows issue but either a chipset, firmware or driver issue.

Lenovo needs to provide a solution for this.  Sending the PC back is not a desired option, since the solution could be something that the users could possibly do on their own.

Paper Tape
profpaulj

Has anybody found a solution to this problem? I had exactly the same symptoms as others. I have never been able to play a dvd in the drive through to the end without the system hanging. I have reinstalled drivers, but this makes no difference. Removing the drive and reinserting it makes it visible again temporarily, as others have reported. But it soon disappears, both from Windows and from the system bios on startup.

I have returned the machine ot Lenovo under warranty, and it worked on its return for maybe one hour of use. I don't see any point in sending it back to them again, since they apparently don't know how to fix the problem.

I use an external dvd drive to install software and play dvds; so I'm putting up with a substandard machine in order to avoid worse pain and inconvenience. In 20 years of buying PCs, this one from Lenovo is the only one I have ever had to send back to the manufacturer, and a very good reason never to buy from Lenovo again.

Fanfold Paper
r_wright1

I read online that if you have the Intel chipset motherboard and you install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Software, it will fix the disappearing DVD drive issue.

Token Ring
Yurius

[ Edited ]

Regarding this issue, if your br/dvd drive sometimes shows up as cd-rom or not showing under mycomputer

This is the solution to it:

1. Go to device manager and uninstall the optical disc drive driver

2. open regedit

3. Go to HKLM\system\currentcontol set\Control\class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}----- On the right panel look for Upperfilters or Lowerfilters and delete them

4. Restart the computer and your br/dvd should automatically reinstall if not go to the device manager  and click scan for hardware changes to install the br/dvd back

5. Test if the odd now shows under mycomputer and test if it works, if not then your br/dvd might be faulty.