Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
bro931

I/O device error when trying to backup system image on my K330B running Windows 7 Home Premium

I set up my Idea Centre K330B to schedule complete system backups to an external HDD once a week.  This worked fine for three months, then about a month ago a scheduled backup failed due to "device error encountered with either the source or the destination (0x8078012D)".  It also gave "Additional information: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.  (0x8007045D)"

I ran chkdsk/r on both the backup drive ( E: ) and the system drive ( C: ) and no problems were found.  The backup drive has plenty of available space.  I tried the backup to a freshly NTFS-formated external drive.  I tried the backup with my BitDefender 2012 Anti-virus disabled. I tried the backup after booting in safe mode.  Nothing works.

If I specify to backup only C: and not the reserved partition the backup completes with no problems.

I get the same error condition whether I perform the backup with Windows or the Lenovo backup software.

Is it possible I have a disk corruption on the reserve partition that is not found and repaired by the chkdsk/r C: operation?

I'm thinking about saving all important user files and rebooting to the factory settings, but if the reserver partition is damaged I might end up with a dead 4-month-old PC.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice as to how to get these backups going again.

Fanfold Paper
bro931

Re: I/O device error when trying to backup system image on my K330B running Windows 7 Home Premium

I just tried running the Lenovo Hard Drive Quick Test both in normal mode and in safe mode.  Both times it indicated a failed read test on the HDD. The last two tests also failed.  I forget what those tests were called.

I am really beginning to think I have a bad HDD and the problem just happens to be in the reserved partition where my factory system software resides.

Fanfold Paper
drmariek

Re: I/O device error when trying to backup system image on my K330B running Windows 7 Home Premium

I am having this same problem.

Were you ever able to resolve it?  I was thinking of saving individual files and doing a factory Recovery, but like you said, I am very afraid it will kill my computer.  (Mine is an IdeaCentre B500)