Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
burn2k

Re: IdeaCentre b520 and RapidDrive?

Today, the cables arrived and I installed everything. A new windows on the SSD and then the RapidDrive-driver. It works :smileyhappy:

Now I have a System-Partition with 965 GB.

No Bluescreen or any other problems.

But a new question comes up. How can I use the Windows 7 from the OEM-Partition? I can't access it, if I use the SSD as systemdrive. Now I used an ISO from the net and the Productkey from the B520, but the OEM-Key can't be activated. -.-

Punch Card
timberwolf10014

[ Edited ]

My B520 arrived yesterday  :heart:

My quick question is ... Is your B520 still stable with SSD and HDD (based on your Partition, you have a 1TB HDD), running RapidDrive?  Which cables did you end up buying to accomplish this, and where did you get the Driver for RapidDrive? 

---------------------------------------

I bought the B520 to test Windows 8's Metro using a Touchscreen.  I already have a 120GB SSD running Windows 8 on my PC, and planned to remove it and install it in the B520.  Based on Lenovo's videos, it looked like the back opened up and you slide in the SSD.  I now see the HDD is in the spot I thought the SSD fit.  :smileysurprised:

While 8 is still Beta, I wanted to have it on the SSD, and 7 on the HDD ... and Boot from the SSD.  Once 8 is final (October?).  Install it, and run it using RapidDrive on both my SSD and HDD.

It seems very few Posters have been able to do this ... so hoping you accomplished it, and it is stable!?!?  Otherwise, I might need to buy a larger SSD, and an External Enclosure for its 2TB HDD (and use the USB 2.0   :smileysad:)

Fanfold Paper
r_wright1

I'm running Windows 8 on my B520 using VM Ware's  Virtual Machine.  The personnal use editions are free, and when I'm in the Windows 8 VM it's hard to tell I running a VM copy.  I have my original Windows 7 image just a keystroke away when I'm not using the Windows 8 VM or if there are any issues with it.  I created the VM database from my existing B520 Windows 7 desktop image using VM Ware vcenter converter and then using the VM Ware player started that VM image and upgraded that to Windows 8. My objective was to see what the B520 would look like after an upgrade to Windows 8 and if there are any issues with the future upgrade.  There were no issues and as of now I tend to use Windows 8 over Windows 7, but I have the option to work easily in either.

Punch Card
timberwolf10014

r_wright1,

Thanks for the input!

I really want my OS on SSD.  Having recently put Windows 8 on SSD, anything involving the Hard Drive (e.g. boot times, virus scans, software installs) is noticeably faster ... with no more noise of the HD running!  It is the Best upgrade I have done in years.

I have seen a few videos with B520's running Windows 8.  One of the reasons I chose the B520, was its lack of frame.

I have used 8 since the start of the Consumer Preview, and find it gets buggy after a couple weeks of use.  I have done 4 'Refresh's.  I also find myself reverting from Metro to Desktop, since Metro is awkward with a Mouse.

As for 8 on my new B520, I figure I have a few options:

Create a Recovery Disk, and install 8 over 7 ... and if, for whatever reason, I want to reinstall 7, I can re-install it from the disk

... or, I can keep 7 in the background by isolating Windows 8 via a Virtual Machine, Partition or separate Hard Drive.  Since I want to install a SSD anyway, it seems to be my best choice (and is how I am currently running it on my PC).  I like the idea of a Virtual Machine.  I have never used one, but it is my understanding  they are purely software based, so they are easily portable (i.e. put on a Flash Drive and carry your 'virtual pc' in your pocket)

Punch Card
timberwolf10014

[ Edited ]

I called Tech Support because my Remote has never worked ...

While I was on the phone, I asked about a SSD installation.  I told them their website claims you can install up to 32GB SSD, and can they explain that limit.  They told me I could install up to 64GB SSD.  I asked them if they could verify that?  So, they told me to call their Premium Support.

Premium Support told me I can install up to 2TB of Internal Storage ... "total".  If that is true ... then I can not use the current 2TB HDD internally with any SSD?!?!

I hate when I get conflicting information from a company.  It makes the 30 minutes I spent on the phone a waste of time.  Is the website right, the first Tech Support right, or the second Tech Support right?  Maybe they all are partially right?  When you install Storage, the computer only recognizes a percentage of the total amount (e.g. I have a 2TB HDD in my B520, but the Computer tells me I have 1.79GB installed).  Maybe, the 2TB "total" ... is total recognized storage.  So, they tell you 32GB, or 64GB, to make sure your total recognized storage is safely below 2TB?  If that is true ... my 120GB SSD, is recognized on my PC as 111GB.  So, it would bring the total to 1.901GB recognized, and should work???

Anyone using the 2TB HDD internally with a SSD?