Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
budo_flieger
Accepted Solution

K320: how to install windows on SSD?

To speed up my system I bought a 64GB SSD. The idea was to install windows 7 64 on this drive and even boot from this. The original HDD (1TB) is planned to use for application data only.

I added the SSD successfully to my system but it seems impossible to install windows and make it bootable? I cannot use the recovery tools becaus my original system is meanwhile bigger than 64GB.

My favorite plan is to disconnect the HDD and start with the SSD from scratch (so if there are any problems during installation, I can easily switch back to my previous system).

Any ideas how to proceed?

Thanks

budo_flieger

Guru
caveman31

Re: K320: how to install windows on SSD?

do you have a windows 7 dvd?

if you do then you need to make sure that the boot order is set to dvd then hdd (you set it up in the bios)

Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
3 custom gaming pc systems
What's DOS?
budo_flieger

No, I don't have a Win 7 DVD. The Win 7 installation is hidden on a OEM partition on my original HDD. There is no way to use this to install on a seperate SSD?

Guru
caveman31

you will have to try and clone your hdd to your sdd 

Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
3 custom gaming pc systems
What's DOS?
budo_flieger

Due to size I could only clone the system and OEM partitition. Between them I formatted the rest. I boot with an emergency windows DVD. It doesn't find a Windows system and doesn't accept the driver (wether the delivered Lenovo driver DVD nor the downloaded ones from the support site)? The system partition appears as drive C:, the middle one whiich I expected as drive C: appears as drive D: and the OEM partition appears as drive X: ??? The good news: via command shell I can access the OEM drive and find a windows setup. The bad one: in the very beginning setup asks for drivers, but doesn't accept any I have to offer ;-(((( Any idea?
What's DOS?
budo_flieger

At least I had to reinstall windows on HDD and transfer this to SSD. This link describes how: http://www.com-magazin.de/praxis/detail/artikel/windows-7-auf-ssd.html