Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
timberwolf10014

Re: Lenovo B520 - Shop Lenovo Website - Creates more questions than it answers.

[ Edited ]

You may be right in practice, but in theory ... :smileyfrustrated:

Ehun73's above pdf link, shows at the top of the B520 spec sheet, models 7745-2AU, -2EU, -2FU (I think this model is an inside joke), -2JU, and -2KU as having USB 3.0.  My question is, do any of the others include it?  Since, the 'web only models' spec sheet shows an update to the US models (maybe why you do not get it in the UK?), as of December 21, 2011.  The spec sheet shows model number 7745-1GU and 7745-2MU are pretty much the same.  So, what changed?   A wall mount?  I am hoping they added USB 3.0 ... since Lenovo's website shows the B520 having USB 3.0, under the 'DO LIST' (but *'s it as 'optional feature'),  and in their photo gallery, it shows 2 USB 3.0 on the back:

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/desktop/ideacentre/b-series/b520/

As of last week, the Lenovo US Store was still taking orders (plus, they are on sale)... but I do agree, the only retail stores listed as having B520's 'In Stock', are higher priced than the Lenovo Store.  Which makes me assume, they are getting their inventory from Lenovo, and 'In Stock', is meaningless

The power supply may be an issue, but how much power does a SSD take?  FWIW, Crucial 'guarantees' their SSD's will work in the B520:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=E8FC9FC6A5CA7304

As for the graphics card ... I have never owned an All-In-One, but I do know they are difficult to upgrade.  Hence the reason I want to make sure on what I am ordering; so, I do not have to upgrade it ... and make sure it has a HDMI input; so, I can use it as a monitor once its other hardware is out of date

EDIT: I will call Technical Support today ... and see if they can decipher this conundrum (honestly, can they make ordering a product any more difficult?)

Punch Card
timberwolf10014

[ Edited ]

I called Tech Support ... he told me they could not answer any questions about models.  I need to have a serial number.

(I have to buy it, to get the serial number, then I can call them to ask what is on it?!?!  :smileysurprised:)

Tech Support suggested I try talking to someone 'else' in Sales, and transferred me ... Sales told me none of the B520's have USB 3.0.  I pointed out how the spec sheet shows some do, and USB 3.0 is mentioned numerous times on their website, in words, photos and videos ... but he insisted none do; and since he had no access to the pdf in this thread ... started acting like I was seeing things.  I then pointed out the below model at Lenovo Outlet, that according to the spec sheet should have USB 3.0, and after a long pause, he said it had USB 3.0 ... but then added he does not sell those (i.e since he does not sell them ... none of the B520's have it?!?!)

http://outlet.lenovo.com/desktops/77452eu.html

(no mention of USB 3.0 at this link)

He could not answer anything about the optional Solid State ... nor, if a particular model is upgradeable to 16GB of memory or not.  He basically was an Order Taker.

After ten hours, and numerous phone calls, I now know ... if I want USB 3.0, I can buy a non-'web only' model from the Outlet, and then call Tech Support with my serial number, to see if it can handle Solid State, and if it is upgradeable ... or, wait until the next models come out, and once again play this run around with the great features listed on Lenovo's website, and how to actually find one in the real world.

I have a ten year old IBM Thinkpad, that I bought directly from IBM, and the buying process was flawless ... My first experience with Lenovo has been a nightmare, and I have not even bought anything yet?   :smileymad:

EDIT: Actually, this is my second experience with Lenovo.  I recently bought the N5902 Remote.  I researched it on-line, and since it has no 'options', I bought it on-line, directly from Lenovo ... and love it!

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi timerwolf10014!

If Lenovo is only selling the USB 3.0 models through distributors, I suggest picking the one you want from the PSREF/icbook and searching for it online. Amazon has two models available for overnight delivery, for example (3111-1MU, 3111-1NU). 

Like caveman31, I've never seen an SSD in a B520. That would be a retrofit.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Punch Card
timberwolf10014

[ Edited ]

bananaman,

I first read your post and thought ... 3111, all the B520's are 7745?  Thanks for pointing out there are 3 more models  :smileysurprised:

I want to run Windows 8 on a Touch Screen, and port its display to my 42" 1080p Monitor, using HDMI-out.  I am not a Gamer, but I assume the Intel Integrated Graphics 2000 would be insufficient for both a small and large Hi Def screen.  So, that would make the 3111's unsuitable.

I have been Searching the model numbers that fit my needs, but want to buy from a company I trust, and most of the ones who still claim to have it 'In Stock' ... I have never heard of.

The A720 has already been released in Japan, and Lenovo's website says it will be released soon in the US (along with the B540p) ... so I have decided to continue to watch the Outlet, as I wait a couple  more weeks for the updated models.  Not that I hear Ivy Bridge is that much better; but the Intel 4000 is a big improvement on 2000.  Also, Windows 8 is stating 'minimum requirements' for certification, are '5 point touch' ... so, even though I currently see minimal use for more than 2, maybe Lenovo has actually done me a favour by confusing my purchase decision?!?!

Thanks

Punch Card
timberwolf10014

[ Edited ]

Oh, Lenovo ... the saga continues!  :smileysurprised:

The Outlet had been down the last couple days.  It came back mid-morning.  All the B's listed were 'Scratch & Dent'.  I found two B520's with i7, 2TB HHD, and Nvidia ... but neither listed a model number!?!?

I called Sales, and asked what the model numbers are? (so, I can use the PDF to see what 'should' be on them)  ... she could not tell me.

I asked if either have USB 3.0? ... she could not tell me.

Does either have Nvidia with 2G, or just 1G? ...  could not tell me.

Does either come with a wall bracket? ... she could not tell me.

Are either 3D? ... she could not tell me.

Why is one listed as having U-DIMM? (I thought none had U-DIMM, only SO-DIMM) ... she could not tell me.

Basically ... she sees what we see.  Nothing more.

I decide the price is right, even if the details are hazy, and I go on-line to order one ... I try to sign into my Lenovo account, and it does not let me.  It makes me sign up for another account?  I fill in about half of my information, and their website would not let me continue.  I hit 'Continue' numerous times, and nothing happens.  I figure their website is not Windows 8 compatible (I guess people who use cutting edge technology do not buy Lenovo :smileyembarrassed: ) ... so I log out and start over on my old IBM Thinkpad with XP.  All goes fine until I hit 'Accept' to end my purchase.  The window closes, and tells me my cart is empty.  No email confirmation, nothing.  I call Sales, and ask did my order go through.  They tell me I have three Lenovo accounts (I am guessing one for for this site, one for Lenovo, and now one for Lenovo Outlet?) ... but none of them has an order outstanding.

I had to re-entering my enter order ... but finally bought one.  I chose the one with U-DIMM; so, when I update the memory to 16GB (if I can on this model?), I can use its current memory sticks in my 4GB desktop (using all 8GB together, as to not cause conflicts)

Although Sales has been very friendly ... they surely are ill equipped to answer questions on the products they sell.  I am hoping I have no problems ... and don't have to deal with them, any time soon!!!  :smileywink:

Wishful thinking?