Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
bill596
Accepted Solution

No Gigabyte Ethernet on B520

New B520 connected to a port on a  Netgear Gigabyte 8 port switch. The switch is connected at 100MB to a DLink router which is connected to a DSL modem. The Netgear switch also connects to two other Win systems that connect at 1GB, and an Snap server connected at 100MB.

The B520 says it's link partner cannot connect at 1GB. It is using the gateway IP as the link partner which is the DLink 100MB router.

Both of the other PCs connect to the same switch and then router and I have a laptop that connects to the switch via a GB hub. None of the other systems have a problem.

How do I make the B520 ignore the router and  use any other system at 1GB so that it talks to the other PCs at 1GB and only slows for internet connections?

Thanks Bill596

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: No Gigabyte Ethernet on B520

Hi bill596, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

The first thing to check when unexpectedly not running at Gigabit speeds is the cable. You must have all 4 pairs (8 wires) working correctly for Gigabit. There are plenty of Ethernet cables around which only have 2 pairs (4 wires).

Tell us what you find!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Blue Screen Again
bill596

Re: No Gigabyte Ethernet on B520

Bananaman

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. The cable in my distribution box was not punched down correctly. The solid brown wire was not fully down in the slot. You help also pointed me to two other short cables that were defective, replacing the RJ-45 plug fixed those,

Thank you for your able assistance.

Bill596