Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
cerasmuerto

Problem: Q150 Incorrect Ethernet Speed -Gigabit Ethernet- only runs at 100

The Q150 that I purchased from an authorized reseller stated it has a gigabit ethernet interface.  The product sheet that came in the box and my serial number (when one verifies the item on the  Lenovo warranty website) also shows my machine type and product number having a Gigabit ethernet connection (1000mbps).  1000 mbps Data is alot more than 100Mbs data. 

Yet it only connects at a speed of 100 (even with the driver and chip update from the Lenovo Support site, dated June 3 2010) in Windows 7.   According to Win7  this is an Intel 82550 device.   Intel designates the 82550 Ethernet chipset as a  FAST ETHERNET device not a GIGABIT ETHERNET device.   Either Lenovo does not have the correct drivers listed in their OEM install, or its ACCIDENTALLY misrepresenting its product, unless someone else can provide a different driver.   Funny thing though, Linux also recognizes the chipset as Fast Ethernet device.  Anyone care to respond?

http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/lan/controllers/82550.htm

+++++

Intel® 82550 Fast Ethernet Controller
Overview

The Intel® 82550 Fast Ethernet Controller is a third generation fully integrated Fast Ethernet Media Access Controller (MAC)/ Physical Layer (PHY) device. The MAC offers a low-cost, high-performance 10/100 Mbps LAN solution
Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: Problem: Q150 Incorrect Ethernet Speed -Gigabit Ethernet- only runs at 100

Hi cerasmuerto, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Can you be more specific about where the materials say Gigabit (a link or image)? I checked the systems reference sheet for the Q150 and it says 10/100. 

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Blue Screen Again
cerasmuerto

Re: Problem: Q150 Incorrect Ethernet Speed -Gigabit Ethernet- only runs at 100

My only beef is with the ethernet interface description.  Here is the description from the warranty website--which I can not register because the USA is not a listed option in the country/region required cell.  Yet truth be told I really like this nettop.  But one of the key selling points provided to me on the Product description label on the packaging box was the Gigabit interface and to verify it I went to lenovo product warranty lookup webpage.  Yet as a HTPC which what I am using it for, the nettop does excel.    Runs beautifully with XBMC and a 4g readyboost cache in Win7 and in Ubuntu also.  Although to get the HDMI working in Linux Ubuntu was pain in da tookish.  But I digress, here is the information you have requested.

++++++

My packing slip in the box also illustrates Gigabit Ethernet in the description

Warranty Lookup Website:  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/product.do?template=%2Fproductpage%2...

Product: IdeaCentre Q150 4081-4AU [change]
Operating system: Windows 7 [change]

Original description: Intel Atom Processor D510, 2GB, 250GB 5400RPM S-ATA HDD, no diskette drive, NetTop, 512MB nVIDIA Ion, Gigabit ethernet, Windows 7 Professional 32

Blue Screen Again
cerasmuerto

SOLVED: Problem: Q150 Incorrect Ethernet Speed -NO Gig E-only FastEthernet (100MBS)

With the tech specifications provided  and intel chip 82556 being confirmed as a FastEthernet. I am declaring this issue as solved.  It seems there is a product description "anomaly".

Q150 HAS ONLY A  100Meg ethernet connection.  For those using this as an htpc and have a gig-e network just  feed all of your Q150 htpcs on the same switch so only that  specific broadcast domain goes at 100 megs while the rest of your network stays at 1 Gig.