Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
RichardBrum

Re: Q180 High CPU Usage Problem

I fairly certain that it's the NIC.  I tried updgrading the drivers, but it hasn't helped.    Any other ideas?  Running wifi instead isn't an option for me.  

Fanfold Paper
MrZarniwoop

I switched from wireless to wired, my utilization remains 0-1%.

Do you have McAfree loaded?  Everything seemed to change for the better when I unloaded that...

Paper Tape
RichardBrum

No, I dumped McAfree as you suggested.  No improvement.  My biggest problem is that I'm trying to use the q180 as a HTPC, and some cable channels I'm watching through my HD HomerunPrime/ WMC are stuttering.  

Fanfold Paper
MrZarniwoop

Interesting.  My experience with an HDHomeRun (not Prime) was similar, until I replaced the HDD with an SSD?

It was unwatchable on live HD channels (stuttering, pixelation, etc.) using WMC, I wrote it off that perhaps it doesn't use the AMD Radeon HD 6450A GPU for video acceleration at all and was simply dumping way too much video processing on the poor Atom D2700 CPU directly?  However, I just tried it right now with a bunch of different HD channels and it works perfectly fine, the HD from an HDHomeRun on WMC is flawless on both 720p and 1080i channels.

Since the last time I tried it, I changed two things: I switched to a wired Ethernet connection (Gigabit switch) and replaced the HDD to an SSD.  I think WMC might stream to the hard disk, and then play back from the hard disk, if that's actually the case it would explain why WMC is perfectly fine now and was previously unusable.

Paper Tape
RichardBrum

Interesting idea using a SSD, but that sort of negates the ability to use the the Q180 as a DVR.
Fanfold Paper
1994mgoblue

Richard,

Did you upgrade ALL of the drivers listed in MrZarniwoop's post?  I too am pretty certain that the issue revolves around the wired ethernet and going to wireless seemed to "side-step" the high CPU.  But, I absolutely hated the throughput I was seeing on wifi and my XBox media extenders were also complaining/stuttering/etc.

I just upgraded every driver listed in MrZarni's posting, rebooted a couple of times at the request of the driver installs, etc.  I can tell you that on a wired gigabit connection with no apps open, I'm running 0%-3% CPU as expected.  Time will tell if this sticks or if it comes back - I just did it about 15 minutes ago.

I'm not sure what the issue is, obviously the gigabit device is Realtek, the Audio and Wifi are also Realtek - does upgrading all of them "fix" something?  No idea... All I can say is I'm back to "normal" CPU utilization on a wired connection and am less ticked off at this Q180 right now.

Fanfold Paper
1994mgoblue

Richard,

I see you posted on the Silicon Dust forum so you might be looking into this already, but for everyone's benefit.  This could be the "29/59 bug".  I posted some info on this in another thread related to Q180 HD Playback.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaCentre-Desktops-Home-Servers/q180-hd-playback/m-p/676043/highlight/t...

Paper Tape
tseng

[ Edited ]

Hello,

i have the same CPU usage Problem with an Q180 bought in Germany. I have reinstalled Windows 7 but the Problem isn't fixed.

Is there a new NIC driver or something that i can use to fix it?

With the http://shark007.net/ Codecs i can play 1080p MKVs >8GB without problems. But the CPU usage is >80% when i play this movies. And the Problem with the Hardware Interupts is still there...

Paper Tape
JohnMerchant

I was having this same problem as well with high CPU usage due to hardware interrupts from the wired NIC.  Within the Device Manager I disabled the wireless network adapter since I'm only using the wired.  I then opened the properties dialog for the Realtek Gigabit Ethernet wired network adapter.  Under the "Advanced" tab, I disabled "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and "Green Ethernet".

This seems to have resolved the problems I was having and I am now seeing idle CPU usage around 0-1%.

Punch Card
tc321

I second this fix (so far).  But disabling these energy saving features really sucks don't you think?

Received my Q180 1 month after ordering, wondering if the same high CPU usage (interrupt) issue still exist, and voila it still does come with this kink.  Giving up the efficient/green features left a bit of after taste.

Anyone one in lenovo notice this yet?  Hello?!

Next on my to do list will be trying out MrZarniwoop's list of newer drivers and re-enable the disabled features.  One note, Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 driver version 2.1.28.0 is for Intel® Desktop Boards, so I will hesitate to update it.